Romans 10:9

How do we explain to those that take this verse literally that people who can not speak can also be saved? Even if you can’t physically confess we know that you can still be saved.

Any help on how I could articulate this to someone would be great :blush:

1 Like

@Luna Hi!

I actually heard William Lane Craig answer that question in this YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a82G0UdfHZ8), from 4:45minutes to the end. Although, I think the video is worth listening to in its entirety. But basically he says that the verse you mentioned in Romans demonstrates a sufficient condition and not a necessary condition.

3 Likes

Amen, Joncarp!

I’d just add that verses 9-10 together give the whole thought. Verse 10 explains verse 9 - notice how it starts with the word “For…”. When one’s heart believes unto righteousness, his mouth naturally confesses the resulting salvation. The thing that makes you righteous in the sight of God is the heart’s belief. But what the heart genuinely believes, the mouth desires to confess. And if one’s mouth does not want to confess Christ as Savior, it is evidence that the heart hasn’t really trusted Him after all.

In Matthew 10:32-33, Jesus says the same thing - He’ll confess those who confess Him and He’ll deny those who deny Him. Because the confession reveals the heart.

But neither Jesus nor Paul are talking about deaf people who cannot confess or deny anything with their mouths. Actually, to tack that on as a condition to salvation would be to elevate confession into a “work” that one must perform in order to finalize salvation. But there are many things that the New Testament describes Christians as typically doing which are never meant as conditions of salvation.

If your deaf friend writes or uses sign language to confess his salvation, he is doing exactly the kind of thing Jesus and Paul are both talking about.

Hope it helps!

3 Likes

This passage gets used and abused more than most. The short answer is Romans 10:9-10 is Paul (a Jew/Israelite) pleading with his countrymen to not reject Jesus as the Messiah promised in Old Testament scripture. They did, however, do just that. The nation of Israel, as a whole, believed the Messiah would deliver them from the Roman Empire and restore the temple and begin the Kingdom. Remember the disciples asking Jesus if it were time to restore the kingdom in Acts 1:6?
The word was given to the Jews. They knew it well. It was in their hearts. But they did not believe Jesus. This is not an ‘eternal life’ passage as much as it is Paul pleading for his countrymen to believe overall. And if they did they would be saved. But not in the way they believed.

3 Likes

There are a great number of things the Bible doesn’t touch on. There is a general rule about the Bible that it generally covers thing from the point of view of what is typical. If the Bible focussed on anything and everything then the Bible would be much much longer then it is now. Even the Law of the Torah doesn’t cover everything because if there was a case that something wasn’t covered by the Law, then they would bring the matter to Moses.

That is why Jesus talked so much about the condition of your heart rather than your physical nature. You will notice that it gives no account of what Jesus actually looked like in the Bible because nobody really cared about that when they saw what he said and did. And there, see? I said they “saw” what Jesus said and did, but not everyone can see. We use these kinds of generalizations all the time and we don’t even think about it. The problem comes when we expect the Bible to cover everything imaginable under the sun. The Bible is a spiritual book, not a science book. The goal of the whole Bible is to point to Jesus. If you have a problem that cannot be solved by the Bible either it isn’t important or you just need to pray about it.