Romans 8: 35-36

romansmemory

(Tim Ramey) #1

@Keldon_Scott, @joyce_yung, @Michele_Schuman, @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta
In October '17, we began this “dare.” Many started but you have faithfully persevered! It is a tough plow but it’s invaluable forever! Truly you are almost finished. I figured that as soon as we were finished that we could jump into Psalm 119 together. After all, there are only 176 verses to that one! (Just kidding!)

I’ve said in before, but aren’t you amazed at how frequently Romans 8 appears?

Today something dawned on me while in prayer that I don’t know if I can adequately communicate but I’ll try. I daily put on the armor of God and as I reflected on the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God, I realized how important that sword is but I was a bit dismayed how infrequently that I use it to jab the enemy. But then I realized that we don’t have to dazzle the enemy with flailing our sword but rather, as it is part of us and is pointed at the enemy, he flees. If we approach someone who is standing there with a sword, we back off without them trying to strike us with it. Of course, there are times where, as Jesus did when He was tempted after fasting, that He needed to strike back at His tempter. But that sword that we brandish is also hidden in our heart and it gives us confidence as we face the accusations of the enemy because it is not our truth that we lean on but His truth that we always have sheathed in our hearts.

May the Holy Spirit speak His Truth to each of our hearts in these and the past verses that we have memorized. Here are the new ones:

Romans 8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?
Romans 8:36 As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.” (ESV)

Romans 8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?
Romans 8:36 As it is written:
“For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered." (NIV)

(Keldon Scott) #2

Phenomenal insight. That sword is held/brandished while shielded by faith – who in their right mind, including the enemy, would not back off? I love that we do not always have to jab – we stand our ground solidly and he does flee – what a blessing for a child of God. Your insight was of the spirit. We are all thankful. Kel.

(Michele Schuman) #3

Thank you for sharing your insights. How often has God’s word has been my shield and my sword. Yet that only happens when I have memorized his word. Thank you for stirring us along.

(Michele Schuman) #4

One struggle I have had when memorizing is finding someone to listen. I am a firm believer that God’s word is meant to be spoken and I memorize better when I speak the verses. But I could use someone to test me. I’m afraid it can come off as prideful to ask someone to listen. What have you done?

(Tim Ramey) #5

@Keldon_Scott @Michele_Schuman
You are such encouragers. I can’t tell you how much memorizing together is such a great sense of fellowship for me.

Michele, I think that you brought up a very important point in memorization. You asked what I do and I do a couple of things that I find helpful. The first is that, as I bike, I say it out loud. I feel that to hear myself say it is better than just repeating the words in my head or whispering. You could as you drive in your car. As I do so and if i get stumped, I don’t readily go to the verses but see if I can figure it out.

The second thing that I do is recite it to my wife as she is so blessed to hear it. I often do as we travel together. I don’t know if you are married but if you are, maybe your spouse wouldn’t be as excited about hearing it but you could let him know that it is helpful. Otherwise, I have learned some chapters with some of my staff and we review it with each other. Maybe you have a friend that would either be glad to hear you recite it or you could even get them to join you and you could help each other. But Michele, it helps to hear yourself say it. And then to another person, I’m often surprised that I get stuck on a spot I never had before.

I’m really glad that you brought that up though we all learn differently.

(Ron Livaudais) #6

Have you tried recording yourself and playing back the recording,
alternately listening and then voicing out loud with the recording?
Just a thought.

(Michele Schuman) #7

That’s a great idea Ron! I did recite with my husband yesterday and made it through with only a few prompts. It just helps to go through it so I will try recording myself.

(Ron Livaudais) #8

Michelle, hope that helps. I’m reminded of a word I’ve heard Mark Batterson use in one of his books. That word is synapse. What happens as you repeat what you are trying to memorize is a joining of the nerve cells in the brain as it reinforces what you are trying to memorize. It’s like a wheel that goes over the same path in the dirt and creates a burrow, deeper and deeper. The connection between the nerve cells becomes stronger and stronger as you fire up the neurotransmitters. I’ve been blessed by His “Draw the Circle” and most recently an excellent book, “Whisper: How to Hear the Voice of God.” He has a gift of putting words and ideas together in ways that are just amazing. I hope you get to read some of his work, if you haven’t already.
I also like what Jesus said in Luke 12:12 about the Holy Spirit teaching us what to say at the right time and the right place. The Holy Spirit teaches us in our devotionals while learning and memorizing His Word. Michelle, you are a vessel of honor as you allow yourself to be the clay in the Potter’s Hands.
Ron