Romans 8:7-8

romansmemory

(Tim Ramey) #1

Dearest Team @Keldon_Scott, @Jake_George, @joyce_yung, @Joseph_Benny, @Lorraine_Allenbach, @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta, @Annie_Mae_Platter, @Michele_Schuman

It’s that time! Yes, on to our next two verses. Please make scripture memory of this chapter your priority. I don’t know you but I can say without a doubt, that these verses will assist you in your walk with Jesus until you see Him face-to-face. I’ve said it so many times but I cannot believe the number of instances that these verses have come to mind and helped guide me, encouraged me, convicted me - you name it!

Also, if you haven’t done so, please go back to the posts from our last two verses. I raised an issue that Keldon replied to and it has given me a fresh outlook on many passages. I know that certain “revelations” are timely for certain individuals but I think it would benefit all of you. That is why your feedback and input is so vital to all of us growing closer to Jesus.

Here the verses in the ESV and NIV. Rather than responding if you are still part of the memorization team, please let us know if you are not going to continue. And if there is anyone out there who would like to jump in or just learn a few of the verses, please let us know. One reason that i put each of you down was to remember each other in prayer. That way, you can see the faces of those you are lifting up. May the Lord bless you in your discipline to learn more of Him!

Rom 8:7 For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot.
Rom 8:8 Those who are in the flesh cannot please God. (ESV)

Rom 8:7 The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so.
Rom 8:8 Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.(NIV)

(SeanO) #2

@Tim_Ramey Count me in. I even dusted off my old college Bible with all the notes scribbled in the margins. An older version of the HCSB that is very nice for memorization.

(Tim Ramey) #3

@Sean_Oesch, I am so excited to have you join us. I have so respective all of the input that you have offered in other discussions that it’s great to have along realizing all that you have to offer. Sean, will you be catching up to what we already learned or are you just diving in with these verses? I memorize from the RSV that predates the ESV. I’ve done all of my memorizing in that version so I keep to that one.

(SeanO) #4

Already caught up :slight_smile: I had this whole chapter memorized in college, but my PhD studies have wiped it away… I absolutely jive with the old HCSB. No particularly deep reason for that version - it’s just that whoever the editors were they used words that naturally come to my tongue along with the ideas being developed in the passage.

@Tim_Ramey Definitely enjoyed your comments and questions as well. It’s so nice to have a community where people care to discuss these topics. It’s like water for a thirsty traveler!

(joyce yung) #5

Thanks. That always a joy when I read the verses

(Tim Ramey) #6

@Sean_Oesch, @joyce_yung
Way to go Sean! You are an amazing guy! And Joyce, I so appreciate how you’ve kept up. Your comment about the verses being a joy doesn’t end. The same verses not only take on new emphasis on certain words of the exact same verse but they interweave with others, not only in Romans 8 but in verses from some other place. You are a real plugger Joyce! Way to go Romans 8 team!

I’m still buoyed by @Keldon_Scott 's few words that talked about staying in the spirit and not lowering ourselves to the flesh. We have been given such a treasure.

As the earlier verses become more familiar, please feel free to speak to those verses that we memorized weeks ago.I feel so privileged to be with all of you. It’s better than any book club. We are all concentrating on the exact same verses week by week.

Please, if you are behind DON’T GIVE UP! The enemy offers that because he knows how important that ammunition is. Don’t race up but like a runner behind in a race, they gradually close in on the front runner. Gradually work up and keep reminders everywhere that will be pertinent to you.

(Tim Ramey) #7

Dearest Team @Keldon_Scott, @Jake_George, @joyce_yung, @Joseph_Benny, @Lorraine_Allenbach, @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta, @Annie_Mae_Platter, @Michele_Schuman, @Sean_Oesch

Welcome Sean!

It’s hard for me to fathom that we can actually please God. As Keldon spoke of, we are in the spirit, which is so pleasing to God and yet He did it. We just have to walk in it. It is such a joy that we can actually please God. Conversely, if we live in the flesh is actually hostile to God. Hostility, enmity and hatred are how that Greek word is translated the six times that it is used in the New Testament. May we live to please Him and I’m not advocating works righteousness - just making the Lord pleased that He created us

(Jake George) #8

Hi Tim,

I have not been doing well with this series of memorizations, since it seems like I have several more to cope with. I think, just to be fair to all others, that I should drop out for now. I would dearly love to memorize Romans 8, but might have to leave it for a period when I have less of the others.

I hope this is Ok with you and wish the rest of you all the best with the endeavor.

Thanks for leading this effort.

Regards,

Jake George

(Tim Ramey) #9

@Jake_George, I never would lay a guilt trip on you but we’ll miss you sorely. Thank you so very much for endeavoring to tackle the task. I think I can speak for the others on the memorization team in wishing you the Lord’s best and are so appreciative for letting us know that you need to move on. Hop in again if the Spirit so leads…