Roy Masters: any insight?

Hi everyone. Does anyone know of Roy Masters and ‘Be Still and Know’? It’s a self-thought process of contact with your soul and the Holy Spirit talks through you in self-talk feed. Both the process and experience is hard to even articulate much less understand.

1 Like

Hi, @HAZFIRE! I have not heard of this guy, but just to clarify your question for the rest of the community…you’re asking if anyone has any thoughts or critiques on his exercises? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes please
I’m trying to figure out what and how much it’s done for me.

Patrick

1 Like

Hi @HAZFIRE, I have not heard about it before, so did a quick google search and what is common in the hits is meditation. Not the one “meditating on the Word of God” but the Eastern type one.
One of the links is here . So for me it is a no-go as Christian. I even opted out my children from meditation and mindfulness at school.
Scientifically looking up the effects of meditation comes up with interesting results. Some that say that Many of the studies touting meditation and mindfulness benefits are not methodologically sound., and also More than a quarter of people who regularly meditate have had a ‘particularly unpleasant’ psychological experience related to the practice, including feelings of fear and distorted emotions, a UCL-led study has found..

Because it can bring hidden memories to the surface I find it very dangerous - especially that while God takes care that we are able to handle a truth when He reveals it to us, meditation does not really care whether someone is capable of dealing with unknown “monsters” coming out from the wardrobe.
And particularly, because I was over 40 when I realized that I had been more than likely (cannot say 100% because I have no proof, just the symptoms) sexually abused as a very little child - at an age when there are no proper memories created just a noise, a smell, a picture which can be seen as “fantasy” - I see the technique’s harmful sides as well. Even though God was careful when and how to reveal it to me, still it was overwhelming and painful. It deeply effected me and through me my family - it also comes with a grief process, and takes years to heal. So imagine it happening when I am not prepared for that by God but it comes out during meditation…
I hope it helps you in discerning.

1 Like