RZIM Youth Volunteering

Hi RZIM,

Thank you so much for a wonderful first REFRESH!

I would love to know how I, as a high school student, can become more involved in Apologetics.

If there is anyway I can volunteer or help out with RZIM Canada? I would be thrilled to do so.

Thank you so much and all the best,

Savannah D.

7 Likes

@Savannah.Dam it is wonderful to learn that you want to become an apologist. I love how Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 11:1, " Be imitators of me as I am of Christ." I look at Ravi and John Lennox in this way and am trying to immitate them.

I suggest you start learning apologetics by serving right here on Connect. Look for questions you can answer right here to help questioners grow in their faith. Look at answers by people like @Lakshmismehta @dan0647 and @SeanO to see how they respond to questioners with care and balance.

I also suggest you sign up for some RZIM Academy courses. Have you taken The Core Module yet? If not consider it as it is great! I have taken it as well as The Science Elective and the Why Suffering elective.

I hope these ideas help you on your journey in apologetics.

7 Likes

@Savannah.Dam,

Lovely to hear that you had a great time at REFRESH! Its always exciting to hear of a youngster wanting to make the right choices for the glory of God. I agree with @brianlalor that serving on Connect is a great way to get your feet wet in the world of apologetics and ministry. He has given some great suggestions. Connect is blessed by wonderful contributions from people from a variety of different backgrounds with unique experiences and qualifications. Some stay and serve on the forum for years and some come and go according to the season of life or calling. Online forums have a unique advantage of flexibility in terms of time and commitment.

The number one focus in apologetics always must be our personal relationship with the Lord. Its in that relationship that we will find the strength, love and commitment to others who need the gospel. Our growth in love of the Lord is a powerful apologetic and it alone will help us to keep the focus on winning people rather than their arguments. We can speak with more conviction when we have the knowledge not just in our heads but also in our hearts.

Apologetics can be overwhelming and we can be eager to increase our knowledge quickly. However, if we work at it too quickly, it will also fade quickly. Best approach I find is to take one subject at a time and grow in it, by reading books on the topic, making notes, perhaps answering questions here on Connect related to that topic. The more you engage with what you have learnt, the better the grasp and the communication. To start for example - after developing some basic understanding on topics such as arguments for God’s existence, resurrection, the Bible, you could slowly move on to specific questions that you encounter frequently in your circumstance.

As far as book suggestions, a good mix of both books that provide theoretical and practical knowledge would be good. Books by J Warner Wallace and Lee Strobel are a great place to start. Mere Apologetics - Allister Mc Grath, is also a great introduction to apologetics with a practical bent engaging the heart.

I hope this gives some ideas on becoming more involved in apologetics. God bless your journey!

5 Likes

@brianlalor Thank you for the wonderful encouragement! I really enjoy the talks and writings of Ravi and John Lennox and have found great inspiration from their words! I deeply enjoy sharing what knowledge I do have - on limited subjects - with others and will strive to find ways I can gently and loving do that on Connect. While I haven’t taken the Core Module myself, I was able to watch many of the talks through the participation of my parents in said course. Hopefully, I will have the opportunity myself to complete the Module and I look forward to exploring what-else RZIM Academy offers.

Thank you for the great ideas and for replying to my question. All the best in your own journey and may God bless your work!

1 Like

@Lakshmismehta Wow, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed response! I really appreciate all your suggestions and thoughtful ideas. God has given me a deep desire to learn and pursue his truth; sharing what I can with those who wish to listen. At the moment I am studying evidence for the Bible to help a friend who is falling away. If you have any suggestions for this topic I would gladly receive them.

Thank you for the book suggestions, I am a prolific reader and deeply enjoy studying Christian literature.

May God bless your own journey and have a lovely Summer.

1 Like

Hello @Savannah.Dam!

Thanks for your kind reply. Its the best time to accumulate knowledge and share to whoever is open! Openess is so important to establish before going deeper in the conversation. A good resource for high school/ college students on the Bible I think is, " Questioning the Bible: 11 Major Challenges to the Bible’s Authority - Jonathan Morrow". However, if you are looking for a deeper study as a reference book on how we got the Bible, a classic is, “The Canon of Scripture - FF Bruce”. A couple short videos that you may find helpful to share with your friend.

I hope that helps. God bless!

1 Like