RZIMConnect accessible without login on purpose?

privacy

(Simon Däster) #1

Hi everyone

I just wanted to check: Is it for purpose, that most of the forum is accessible from the public without login, and furthermore indexed by search bots?

Just want to ask and to raise awareness, in case some of you are concerned with privacy…

Sincerely

Simon

(SeanO) #2

@sdaester Yes, this is intentional, so that others can learn from what is being discussed here - but not all categories are searchable online. I know Daily Evangelism is - but @CarsonWeitnauer could provide fuller details.

(Tabitha Gallman) #3

For me personally, I have no problem with my discussions being viewed by others, but I understand a concern for privacy. I used to try to understand search engine optimization when doing some side work as a small business web designer, and I have to say that opened up a lot of window for scrutiny. Google and other search engines will never get the algorithms right to prevent all malicious code from gleaning content and abusing that content to put a spin however the spammer chooses. I am tired of living in fear. I wish we would all choose to discuss issues around the table so to speak and there is no better place to do that than a forum where the mission is to share Christ. I hope others will see these healthy discussions as a way to help figure out the thoughts and feelings about daily issues in a world that needs hope.

(Carson Weitnauer) #4

Hi @sdaester,

Great question. We want to be transparent on this point! To that end, here is a mini-tutorial we have provided to explain what is public and what is private:

I think this is a good opportunity to remember that “privacy” is often promised but not always provided. There are regular news reports of someone secretly recording a ‘private’ telephone conversation, sharing a screenshot of a ‘private’ text message, forwarding a ‘private’ email onto other people, and so on. In today’s world, we all need to be mindful of these risks.

The rationale for having public Categories, as Sean and Tabitha have offered, is that we want others to learn from the discussions. As people search Google to find answers to their spiritual questions, increasingly, I hope they find their way to RZIM Connect. And one day, I hope they start their search with RZIM Connect. And eventually, I hope they are empowered to respectfully and humbly help others who come to Connect find reliable, truthful answers to their questions.

(Simon Däster) #5

Thank you all for your responses. I understand the reasons behind it. I just was surprised in the beginning, and wanted to see whether the fact was clear for others, too. But I’m really OK with that.

And thanks for insights, opinions and reflections. Loved to read it :smiley:

In my perspective, as the solution is set, one can close the topic (or am I supposed to to so?)

(Carson Weitnauer) #6