Support RZIM Connect

Sabbath observance

Continuing the discussion from Sabbath:

Hi Dean, I took your advise and is enjoying the Sabbath day. In the midst of fear and much suffering it is a respite to set aside the day to rest from all these troubling noises. This day is certainly a time sanctuary, entering into the worshipful time frame to commune with our Lord.

6 Likes

Hey, Shirley, good to “read” you! I am encouraged that you (actually anyone also) responded to “the Sabbath challenge” i proposed. I’ll repeat it at the bottom of this post for those readers that don’t know what that means.

I did want to confess to you that i didn’t do so good yesterday (Saturday). I “remembered the day” several times, but i got caught up in the “virus fear-scurry” like most people.

And it could well be that i missed some real blessing because of it. Like going to the bank to get some cash before it isn’t available, and having too long a line to sit in too long so i couldn’t stay to get any $. Like going to the grocery store to get some “survival items” and seeing empty shelves for those items (but i got some other ones we needed).

Anyway, i have no reasonable excuse, it was just “lack of trust” that drove me – i could well have waited until today or tomorrow. In fact, today the bank had much faster access

You know, since i have had almost no response, other than yours, to “the challenge”, i was beginning to think that the Sabbath Command has been discarded or “given a low priority”, or something, by its Author. If there are any other persons who have tried “the challenge”, please share your experience, it would be greatly appreciated.

So, for those who don’t know, what is “the Sabbath challenge”? In simple terms, it is an experiment to see if Christ has any special blessing for you on the day He made special at the Beginning, and throughout the days of the loyal Israelites, the prophets (including Moses, of course), the disciples, and Jesus Himself.

The caution is that if the request to Him leads to any self-righteousness, judgementalism of non-Sabbatarians, guilt and self-condemnation or pride in oneself and one’s own efforts, then the “challenge” needs to be repeated without those add-ons.

But if Christ Jesus honors your request for evidence that He appreciates us remembering the Day and Command He carved in stone (twice, since Moses broke the first set of tablets), please share that with us. Thanks very much in advance, if you do.

And, Shirley, how about we try a “rest test” again next Day 7, and share here in this topic? Could be exciting…

6 Likes

Well, Shirley, it is Saturday night, and it has been a most amazing Sabbath. I had opportunity to study His Word, speak His Words of hope and encouragement to a group of recovering folks/friends, and go for a slow, meditation walk in nature.

It seems to me He is blessing me in a stronger way for at least considering His special day as special. Could be psychological, i realize, so i will see how next Sabbath goes. But if it is anything like this one, i will take it as confirmation that i/we are on the right “track”.

Has anyone reading this posting had anything special and abnormal happen between last Friday sundown and today (Saturday) sundown? If so, thanks for sharing. If not, we wait until next Friday sundown.

Exciting possibilities! But i am also willing to be given clear indication that Jesus isn’t very interested anymore in the day He made special back then. Your call, Lord and Elder Brother.

(Recall He said that those who do the will of God are His brothers and sisters, didn’t He…)

2 Likes

Hi Dean,
It’s so exciting to read about your wonderful experience in Sabbath keeping. That made me understand the verse"God blessed the seventh day… " Genesis 2:3. I am trying to keep the Sabbath from Friday sunset to Saturday sunset, and discovering there is a sense of peace ane lightness about, perhaps because I tried not to let other things enter my mind like bills to pay or worries of my secular work. Reading God’s word brought surrenity, and like you, sharing God’s love to others through His words or visiting the sick (meeting through online medium nowadays) bring a kind of joy and contentment.

Shirley

2 Likes

Glad to hear of your experience, Shirley. And i’m looking forward to this Friday night. I think i will try to set things up Friday afternoon for the Sabbath, to see how that goes. Wouldn’t it be amazing if we could enjoy Him for most of a whole day (maybe more if we count pleasant dreams Friday night…).

Any other readers here, you are welcome to join in “the experiment” of blessing the day Christ blessed (Gen 2:2-3). Feel free to share your experience / insight, pro or con.

1 Like

Well i got off to a late start last Friday night, since i was still paying bills a bit after sundown. But i got other things done Friday so i could “start the Rest”, and it seemed again to be abnormally good/great. It was nice to take a break from “corona concerns”, if you know what i mean.

Saturday day-time was also very “mello” with nature, Bible study, meditation, talks with friends. A Messianic friend is going to have a small Passover service tomorrow, from a Christian perspective, of course. I’ll check into it and describe it here later.

After all, the “Feast Days” are Sabbaths too, aren’t they. I’m not ready to “clean out all the leaven in my home” like my friend is doing (in obedience to the preparation command for the Passover).

[In Leviticus 23 the 7 annual Feasts or Festival Sabbaths God gave to His people for special convocations are listed, in the ESV, as (Passover,then) First Day of Unleavened Bread, Last Day of Unleavened Bread, Firstfruits, Weeks (Pentecost), Trumpets, Day of Atonement, and Booths.]

1 Like

How was your Passover service? Happy Sabbath!

1 Like

Passover was a little strange, since it was virtual, voice. Have you ever seen a Messianic Passover service?

It amazes me that observant Jews don’t seem to know why they have the afikomen. (For anyone reading who doesn’t know what that means, here is a good article from Jews for Jesus):

By the way today is Tuesday, and i am “Remembering the Sabbath Day”, so does that count as a partial fulfillment of the Command? That is something we can do each of the other 6 days, isn’t it – remember His primary written Commands, believing His promise to keep them in/though us.

1 Like

Hi, just reading through as I was recently reading out of Leviticus as well as new testament. This is very interesting to me, so I will pray and consider taking a day of rest as well. Please continue to share :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is such an interesting subject … partly because it can stimulate people to express such different things, many of them starting new trains of thought. Just so long as the subject doesn’t lead to dogmatic division amond “brethren.”

When I was a child Sunday had the function of the Sabbath. It was on Sunday we could not ride our bikes, play football (soccer), or do many other “fun” things. Sundays we went to at least 3 church services, and some of them could be l-o-o-o-o-o-n-g1- like 3 or 4 hours. Interestingly, Saturday (or the Sabbath) was wash day. Everything was made clean. (This didn’t hit me until I started writing this spiel! - the local name for the day was in fact, “wash day.”) As if this was a preparation for “the Lord’s Day.”

The NT tells us that the disciples started celebrating the Lord’s supper on the first day of the week, since it was on the first day of the week that He rose from the dead. At the same time, in early Acts, we read that the disciples continued to go to the Temple. Many of them saw themselves - and Jesus - primarily as Jews and it was quite a while before the real significance of the New Covenant (for ALL peoples of the earth) sunk in. So they apparently continued to keep the Sabbath (7th day) but also made Sunday (1st day) special. I guess they also thought that this day should be distinct from the Sabbath, as if celebrating the Lord’s Supper did not somehow fit with the normal rituals of the Sabbath that they otherwise practised. (I have no Biblical proof that they DID in fact continue with the Sabbatical rituals - can anyone else confirm or deny?)

There is a chorus that used to be popular (maybe still is in some circles): “This is the day that the Lord has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it!” It comes from Psalm 118:24. The Amplified Bible translates it “This is the day the Lord saved me; I will rejoice…” And the Good News Translation puts it " This is the day of the Lord’s victory; let us be happy, let us celebrate!" I like this last translation because for me it connects to the Lord’s victory over death . in his Resurrection, on the first day of the week.

Being the 1st day of the week, also connects (for me) to the OT thought of giving to God of the “first fruits” of all our “work.” The first day of the week dedicated fully to the Lord. On the other hand, He has made every day, so why should we dedicate just one or two. They are all His, after all.

Remember Midas, the king who couldn’t help it that everything he touched turned to gold? I have thought about King Jesus, and how “everythihg He touched, was sanctified.” By being born as a human baby - in the flesh - and being raised bodily from the dead, Jesus honoured the physical human body, sanctifying it by choosing to dwell in it. His blessing of the little children made children so very special, consistent also with his comment, that unless we become like children we cannot enter his Kingdom. He attended a wedding, and did his first miracle there, he gave them wine for joy; then later we find that he refers to the church as His Bride, sanctifying women and marriage in very special ways. He took bread and wine, very common everyday elements in local meals, and made them special symbols of his body and blood, sacrificed for us. And of the Sabbath He said “the Sabbath is made for man, not man for the Sabbath.” In the way that he extended (fulfilled) the law saying “some say that you should love your friends and hate you enemies; but I say you should love your enemies, bless though that curse you …” I tend to think that, as He is our Sabbath, EVERY dáy is a Sabbath, every day is holy (that is “committed/set aside”) or should be, for the Lord. That is entirely consistent with Paul who said “what every you do, do it as if you were doing it for the Lord.” or elsewhere “be as living sacrifies” for the Lord.

Those are just a few more thoughts on the Sabbath.

3 Likes

To continue the same conversation I like to share with you a documentary series about the topic, very interesting. I was amazed at the history behind the Sabbath and was hooked to it for a few days. If you have time please watch it.
Shirley

1 Like

I have always enjoyed the topic of the sabbath. A mentor of mine once reminded me to not view the sabbath as a rule or law, but as a gift. God gives us a day off and says if you do, I’ll let you accomplish all you need in six days.

It’s also a simple act of faith. Take one for God and He will honor the remaining six. Yes

1 Like

Glad to be back in this topic. I have had a concept forming in my mind, which seems relevant to this topic but may not be very thought out yet.

I am remembering (as we are commanded to do regarding the Sabbath) that our bodies are now the “Temple of the Holy Spirit”, ever since the Day of Pentecost, right?

And the “heart” of the Temple was the Holy of Holies (the innermost chamber of the Temple). And in the Holy of Holies was placed the Ark of the Covenant. So suppose our spiritual/physical heart is like the location of our spiritual Ark – containing our New Covenant in Christ.

And in the Ark were kept three items, the jar of manna (from the Bread of Life), the staff of Aaron which “budded again” representing resurrection, and the two stone tablets containing the 10 Commandments of God, written by His own Hand.

So in the Ark of our physical/spiritual heart we carry His resurrected Life and the fulfillment of His Hand-written, in stone, directions, by the power of the Spirit of God.

And on top of the Ark there was the “Mercy Seat” (between the two Cherubim/Angels),where the Presence of the YHWH dwelled, to meet with mankind. Even as we invite the Mind of Christ to fill our own mind with His Presence.

And the longest Command, at the “heart of the 10”, in the Ark of the Covenant, is the Sabbath Command. And Jesus/Yeshua said we are to come to Him to find true rest, since He is the Source. of the Sabbath which He gave as a gift to us.

So whenever we are resting from our own labor and living through His finished Work, we are living the expanded Sabbath, from which our peace flows. From His Mind through ours, from His Heart through ours, from His Work through ours.

Fascinating?

1 Like

After all, Jesus says plainly that He is the Lord of the Sabbath.
He observed it and we are to follow in His footsteps.
Seems rather clear and simple. Also, God says the Sabbath is a sign between Him and His people.

1 Like

Hey Shirley: I seem to have missed the address to the video you are referring to. Do you have it handy?

Thanks, friend.

1 Like

Hello, Paul Dale. Welcome to the conversation here.

Jesus also said, as most of us know, that “the Sabbath was made for man” (not man for the Sabbath, of course).

Which reminds me that in Egypt the children of Israel were slaves 7 days a week. Which kept them too busy and tired to spend much time devoted to God.

So He instituted the weekly abstaining from labor, not for just themselves, but also for their animals and servants. Bet that was quite revolutionary at the time – now we take it for granted that we get weekends off of work.

So He established the 7th Day as His special day in the Beginning, then set in place the weekly cycle for developing closer relationship with His people, then came in person to show us what it means.

And Jesus/Yahshua kept the Sabbath perfectly in the tomb before rising in resurrection power. If we follow His pattern we would “die more fully to ourselves” on His special day, and then rise up in His Resurrection power to do His work, the rest of the week, as He instructs.

But we must beware, by His grace, of legalism and self-righteousness about this, which invalidates the intent of His Spirit-Rest. Yes?

2 Likes

Hello,
I did not know that I forgot to post the link to the Sabbath documentary (Hal Holbrook the narrator). It is https://youtu.be/4Xy7wljRDOM

Shirley

1 Like

Sorry, Shirley, that link isn’t working.

Got another way to access it?

Also do you have any comments on my message #14 above, on Jun 3? Thanks.

1 Like

@DeanW What a wonderful challenge. Should I remember, I will accept next Saturday, as this one is gone.

1 Like

Hi there, Malie. I wish you well on your “experiment”. May you be blessed in a special way on the day He made special! I look forward to your response.

1 Like