Sabbath observance

This week i have been reading a new book by a Messianic rabbi, entitled “Harbinger II” [Which is a continuation of a prior book called “The Harbinger”]. It is an amazing analysis of the highlights of U.S. history in terms of the Biblical history of the Israelites.

The book, though written as a “Spiritual mystery story”, has a lot of crucial facts which come from our history, which have been long ago removed from our history books in schools. And it shows more clearly than ever that our God is in ultimate control of nations, governments, armies, and “natural causes” – working toward our final Redemption in Christ.

Here is a taste of the author’s writings in one of his recent daily meditations:

. . . . . . 7

A mystery of the Sabbath.

The Sabbath is the day that the Jewish people come before the Lord. It’s their holy day. Now notice something.

The Sabbath doesn’t come at the beginning of the week - or in the middle of the week. The Sabbath comes at the end of the week. It’s the seventh day. Just in this alone is a deep mystery —

The Jewish people will come to the Lord, they will return to Him. But it will not happen at the beginning of the age, nor in the middle of the age. It will happen at the end of the age.

The Jewish people will return to God, and to their Messiah, Yeshua, at the end of the age. And when they come to the Lord, then the world will know the Sabbath. It will usher in the Age of the Sabbath, the Millennium.

So don’t be discouraged if your Jewish friends are not yet coming to Messiah. They will. And the fact that the fight is so great is because the stakes are so high. Keep witnessing. Keep praying.

For when they come - the Sabbath comes.
Today’s mission:

Take time to pray for the salvation of the Jewish people today and for the peace of Jerusalem.
Scripture reading:
Jeremiah 24:7
“And I will give them a heart to know Me, that I am YHWH: and they shall be My people, and I will be their God: for they shall return unto Me with their whole heart.”

1 Like

I came across these 7 “facts” today, about the Sabbath, by Doug Bachelor (of amazing facts ministry). Think i’ll take a closer look at these points tomorrow. Any comments?

1: The Seventh-day Sabbath Establishes God’s Sovereignty

2: The Seventh-day Sabbath Was Made for Everyone

3: It’s Not About Just Keeping Any Day

4: We Know the True Seventh Day

5: The Sabbath Is Not a Memorial of Deliverance Out of Egypt

6: The Sabbath Is Not Meant to Memorialize the Resurrection

7: The Sabbath Will Be Celebrated for Eternity

1 Like

Here is a pretty thorough site for Sabbath observance from a Messianic Jewish viewpoint:

Here is their definition of the term:

What is Messianic?

“Messianic is the belief that Yeshua (Jesus) is Yehovah’s (YHVH’s) son given as a sacrifice to provide atonement for sin and eternal salvation AND that the observance of Torah (Genesis through Deuteronomy) commands are Yehovah’s instructions for experiencing His abundant life on earth. Yeshua and all His disciples observed and taught the Torah commands. Messianic believers believe that to truly know, follow and love Yeshua, we must do the same. We are not saved by the law, but obey it because we are saved. We follow the complete Bible – Genesis through Revelation – and only the Bible.”

1 Like

Thank you Dean. I will take a look at the resources.

1 Like

Hi, Shirley. Did you know that tonight/tomorrow is “The 8thDay / Shimini Atzeret”, the final Sabbath in the annual Feasts? The same website has a detailed explanation of what that means to Believers. Interesting…

1 Like

A new dimension to “Sabbath observance”, from a Believer standpoint, might be the weekly “Torah reading cycle”, which are standardized sections of Scripture from the Torah (first 5 Books; called the Parashah), and from the Prophets (called the Haftarah).

These linked selections of Scripture were developed very long ago (before the era of Jesus?) to be read in synagogues around the world on Sabbath, and on special festival days. They are chanted along with appropriate blessings.

A corresponding set of Scripture selections from the New Testament (known as the Brit Chadashah in Hebrew) were added later, for Messianic Believers, and are included in the following chart from Lion and Lamb Ministries:

http://lionandlambministries.org/resources/torah-cycle-readings

I think i will study these for a few Sabbaths. Any discussions of these would be welcomed. Thanks, and Shabbat Shalom (Sabbath Peace), to you, in Christ!

1 Like