Satan and our thoughts

Can satan know our thoughts? or can he induce or manipulate our thoughts?

2 Likes

I do not believe that Satan can read our minds. II Chronicles 6:30 says that God only knowest the hearts of the children of men.

However, I do not doubt that he is a master at reading our facial expressions, our body language, the tone of our voice, and other similar clues as to our moods and thoughts - he’s been doing it for a long time.

But unless you explicitly verbalize what you’re thinking, I don’t believe he can literally read your thoughts the way that God can.

So can Satan eavesdrop on your prayers if you pray out loud?

Again, I don’t think so. James 4:7-8 says, Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.

I believe that when you draw nigh to God in prayer, the devil doesn’t want to go where you’re going - into the presence of the One you’re drawing nigh to. I think he flees in the other direction, and you’re perfectly safe in telling God anything that’s on your heart.

On the other hand, if you’re in the habit of complaining out loud, I suspect that he loves listening to that!

I hope this will help you.

13 Likes

Hi Bayye,

Welcome to Connect! I pray that you find answers to your questions here as you seek to grow in Christ.

I echo what James posted in reply to your good question.

I also find it helpful when pondering Satan’s capabilities to remember that he is, in fact, a creature like we are. He is not co-equal with God. Although he’s more powerful as an angelic being than humans are, he is not, like God, omnipotent, omnipresent, or omniscient. And though he can and does influence human thinking and behavior, especially those who aren’t redeemed, he is restrained by God to go only so far and no farther in carrying out his wicked designs.

I think of Job, whom Satan was granted permission from God to persecute (Job 1:6-12). And of Joshua, whom Satan accused before God as being unworthy of grace (Zechariah 3:1-5). It is interesting to me that of all of Satan’s weapons against us as believers, one of the primary ones is to accuse us of our sin before God, sin for which Christ has forgiven us, past, present, and future. Like Joshua, the LORD rebukes Satan for his accusations against us because we, too, are brands plucked from the fire.

Knowing, then, that we yield mighty weapons agains Satan (Ephesians 6:10-18), I am comforted and strengthened by the truth that we are not alone in our battles against his influence in our lives (1 John 4:4), that Jesus stands alongside us empowering us to persevere and overcome the devil (Luke 10:18-19).

Mark

9 Likes

I agree with @jlyons. Also, I think that the story in Daniel 3 is helpful here. Nebuchadnezzar had a dream which he wanted his sorcerers and magicians to interpret, but he refused to tell them the contents of the dream. You would have thought that if Satan or demons could read our minds it would have been no problem for the magicians (who I assume were influenced by demonic forces - 1 Corinthians 10:20) but they couldn’t do it. Only God could reveal the contents of the dream. Which is a comforting thought (that Satan can’t read :slightly_smiling_face:).

7 Likes

Thank you for the great insight jlyons🙂

2 Likes

Thank you so much Mark🙂

Thank you@Keith_Moore🙂

@trustyabhi I don’t know if I completely agree with @jlyons. I don’t believe that your brain is like a computer in a box. In other words the only output is what YOU put into it. I believe that your brain is more like a computer with WIFI. In other words those from the spiritual realm have access to our minds and work to influence us in various ways through what we perceive as our thoughts. Not all of our thoughts are necessary ours even though it comes in as our “internal voice.” This is why Paul says to “take every thought captive.” (2 Cor. 10-5). Love the discussion!

1 Like

Hi Bayye,

I don’t think Satan can read our minds, but I do believe that he can influence our minds by filling them with certain thoughts.

This is something I struggle with, I will have thoughts that I know are not from God. And they will sometimes just pop into my mind out of no where.

So we need to guard your minds, fill it with the truth/God’s Word, and ask God to renew our minds and to give us the Mind of Christ.

“and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God,” Ephesians 6:17

God Bless!

7 Likes