Science as a prophet of God

Greetings of peace to everyone!!!
For the past decades, lots of things were unveiled through discoveries in the field of science. Things that before seems to be a mystery to mankind. So my question is, is it safe to say that Science is a prophet of God -revealing to humanity His wisdom and knowledge that was kept hidden and is only given to those who genuinely seek?

Proverbs 25:2
It is the glory of God to conceal a thing:
but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

Hi Eufronio,
Welcome to Connect - nice question!

I totally understand the reasoning behind this question and the comparison you bring between science and a prophet. However, we need to be a little careful when we define terms here.

Who is a prophet? It is a person who hears from God and faithfully transmits that message to people. So yes, a prophet does reveal mysteries of God to people and the greatest revealer of the mysteries of God in this sense was Jesus Christ himself. (Ephesians 1:9, Colossians 2:2,3)

So what about science? Science is a quest for truth, a tool to enquire and find out the truth in nature. However, there are other tools which are also used to reveal truth - philosophy, metaphysics, art etc., which are just as fascinating as science.

While science does a fantastic job of revealing some mysteries, it is a common fallacy to give it some kind of personhood as though science were a kind of amorphous body of knowledge with a mind of its own. Science is not a thing, it is not a person - it is a method to search for truth using human faculties of sense perception, reason and logical analysis. The human mind is the engine for science. And science therefore, has important and significant limitations and drawbacks also - and I say this as a person who has grown up almost his whole life surrounded and fascinated by science.

Having said that, yes I agree with you, that the scientific method is a very interesting tool to reveal mysteries in the natural material world. It is just that I would not go so far as to call it a prophet.

3 Likes