Searching for next step in Christ centered living

Hello everyone. First of all I want to say a thank you to all who are participating in rzim connect. This is such a wonderful and encouraging group of people and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
I am a father of 5 and married to a wonderful woman who’s views within Christianity are much more “progressive” Than my own. I am trying to learn more about biblical truth and would like to better learn how to communicate biblical truths first of all to my family and secondly to those around me. So apologetics. I tend to usually not talk about beliefs very much because I have not done enough homework to be able to defend my faith. The thing is I would like to be very intentional with my time and I recently took the core module for rzim and my wife told me it took up too much of my time. Which is fair because she just recently is going back to school and was never able to finish her degree. I made a deal with her a long time ago that as soon as I finished my degree she could do hers. So I think that is more important than me going back to school right now. However I would like to do some studying on my own. How do you search for the guidance of the Holy Spirit and than listen? And what are your thoughts on where to start. Also I have been in church basically my whole life and have obsessively listened to ravi and rc sproul for the past couple of years.
Thank you all for your input.

2 Likes

Hi Nathanael,

Thank you so much for asking these questions and opening up to the community in this way! It is so encouraging for me to see other believers thirsting for God and a deeper relationship with Him. I hope I can encourage you and give you some practical advice from my own experience in these areas.

First, I would say that learning more about biblical truth and communicating those truths to our families begins where you would expect. We must be in God’s Word daily; reading it, studying it, listening to it, meditating on it, and learning from trusted teachers that God has placed in the Church.

Some ideas to apply this are:

1. Rise early in the morning before your family is awake for quite devotional time with the Lord (or evening after everyone has gone to bed).
  2. Continue to listen to podcasts and audio sermons on your drives to and from work.
  3. Read about studying God’s Word (I put a list of resources at the bottom of this post).
  4. Learn to meditate on what you read and allow the Holy Spirit to teach you (John 16:13-15)

13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. 14 He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. 15 All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

Secondly, we must cultivate a life of prayer. Prayer and Bible study go hand in hand. We pray before we engage God’s Word for the guidance of the Holy Spirit and we pray God’s word back to Him during and after we have read. By doing this, we know that we are praying His will because we are praying his very words.

Some application in this area:

1. Use the same devotional time in the morning or evening for prayer.
  2. Pray in the car and while you are doing other mundane tasks.
  3. Pray over the smallest cares and concerns: for yourself and for others.

Thirdly, we need to practice communicating regardless of how ready we feel. Please don’t misunderstand this! I’m not suggesting to run into a public debate with a well prepared opponent. I mean within our homes to our family. It is ok to say, “I don’t know,” when we don’t have an answer. That just gives us something to explore with our family!

I only touched on your first question, but I’d also add that you shouldn’t feel any guilt for delaying completing the Core Module. For continuing in learning apologetics, I find the RZIM podcasts helpful as well as Dr. William Lane Craig’s ministry (reasonablefaith.org). He also has a podcast that is wonderful and several books. One that is highly recommended for personal or group study is his On Guard: Defending Your Faith with Reason and Precision.

Here are some resources that I’ve found helpful or had recommended to me:

How to Study Your Bible (Kay Arthur)
How to Read the Bible for All It is Worth (Gordon Fee)
Seven Arrows (Matt Rogers)
Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life (Donald Whitney)
On Guard: Defending Your Faith with Reason and Precision (William Lane Craig)

I hope this has been helpful in some way.

In Christ,
Caleb

3 Likes

Thank you Caleb. This is very helpful and encouraging and I really appreciate it. I look forward to reading some new material from willaim craig.

Glad I could help in some way Nathaniel! May God bless you as you seek to know him more deeply.

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they shall be filled.” Matthew 5:6