Self confidence

As a presenter and trainer, I am in the process of developing my confidence to deliver as a speaker. As a Christian, I know that my confidence comes from Christ and what He has been done us. How does this help in developing my confidence as Christian sharing the Gospel and as a speaker delivering content?

From my observation, being confidence often comes with a sense of entitlement and self-affirmation. I feel there is a conflict here… as a Christian should I pursue this path?

1 Like

Neat position you’re in

1. as a speaker/presenter it sounds like the content you’re presenting isn’t spiritual in nature.
  2. as a Christian it seems like you’re pondering how your confidence as a christian may somehow interplay with the confidence you show as a speaker/presenter.

I believe the linkage between the two is integrity. (Daniel comes to mind)

It’s a christian’s place to navigate around the pitfalls and unique situations without abandoning God’s leading.

Daniel had to do this in his stewardship over the king’s matters while staying on point with God and His direction. The word of God is help-full and the the holy spirit is the help-er of a christian. Daniel was given wisdom and discernment directly from God and also from the bible he was reading. It was more than Daniel’s wisdom working in the service of the king’s matters. God was with him and advising him. And it showed.

whatsoever you do in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God … Colossians 3:17

Thou hast a mighty arm: strong is thy hand, and high is thy right hand.Justice and judgment are the habitation of thy throne: mercy and truth shall go before thy face. Blessed is the people that know the joyful sound: they shall walk, O Lord, in the light of thy countenance. (Psalm 89:13)

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.Psalm 119

2 Likes

Hi Premendra,

This is a great question.

For starters, I think it is helpful to distinguish between the definition of the word “confidence” as it relates to the world’s dictionary and the Biblical use of the term.

Quite obviously, the secular focus, as you have correctly stated, has to do with self. Whether that is putting our reliance upon chariots and horses (Psalm 20.7-9), the flesh (Jeremiah 17.5), riches (Luke 16.19-31), or any other temporal thing, it makes no difference. All these things are tantamount to failure.

The Biblical use of the terms parrhesia and peitho, to name just a few derivatives, mean boldness and persuasiveness, respectively. The focus in scripture when speaking about our confidence is as it directly relates to the Person, character, work and word of Christ.

In Acts 4.13 we read this about Peter and John before the rabbinical tribunal known as the Sanhedrin: “When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.” These well educated, well known in society, well-to-do rabbis were completely disarmed, shocked and caught off guard by the disciples’ speech, presentation and confidence. Nowhere in the story is it inferred or implied that the disciples were arrogant, self reliant, or condescending toward their audience. Their confidence and boldness in their God was what was attractive and compelling and the thing that riveted the Sanhedrin and caused them to take note of a relationship. Their relationship with Jesus.

As you know, there are many more verses in scripture that speak of confidence. After looking up the word in the concordance and reading the scripture references, I was struck by how often confidence and humility coexist together. He increases and we decrease. A work of God, to be sure.

May the Lord grow your confidence in Him so that whether in the mundane or the glorious, the secular or the sacred, people in your sphere of influence will also take note that you have been with Jesus and desire that same relationship for themselves.

Grace and peace,
Mary Beth

4 Likes

Great question! Have you heard of Tim Keller’s book Every Good Endeavor? It’s a great resource in my opinion, and talks about how working for God can give the mundane meaning and provide a sense of humility for the roles that may, from a human perspective, be more coveted.

1 Like