Shareen Thude

Hi My name is Shareen Thude. I was born in South Africa, but have been living in Namibia for the past 30 years. I grew up in an evangelical Christian home, but somehow it was also very traditional. I discovered Ravi’s videos in April and became very interested in apologetics.

I have four children and my eldest son live in Italy. He has had a long battle with substance abuse, but went into a four year long program which did help, but now he is battling alcohol. He loves and knows Jesus and struggles with guilt and how to be an overcomer that doesn’t disappoint God.

I would love to learn how to surrender the cares of my children and husband to God and how to trust that He will complete the work He has begun in my family’s lives.

I also would like to learn about apologetics, as I have many sceptics, New age, Jehovas witness, Islam and many other different religions in my family. I want to witness to them in a non patronizing way, but I also want to learn more about the love of Jesus for me.

12 Likes

Shareen, we welcome you to Connect and thank you for sharing your concerns about your family. I will pray for them and especially your son who is going through such trials. Your desire to witness to others in a non patronizing way will be a blessing to those you know. God bless you as you strive to grow and learn for others!

I hope that this verse encourages you! :blush:

“And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him: bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; being strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy; giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭1:9-12‬ ‭ESV‬‬

4 Likes

God bless you

3 Likes

Dear Carrie, it is amazing how God works. Two weeks ago I listened to Dr Charles Stanley where he taught on focused prayer, and that we should pray Col 1:9-12 over ourselves and loved ones every day! I have been doing that ever since. I know now that God is definitely working in our lives and that I should continue to pray this prayer. Thank you so much!

5 Likes

Welcome to connect @shareen. Thank you for sharing. I hope that these discussions enable some of your goals to be reached. God-bless you and your children. I have 2 children also who are adults and are not committed christians. So, I know what you are feeling at least in part. Your son is precious. Reading a book right now called “Gentle and Lowly” by Dane Ortlund. It might be something that he would resonate with in terms of who Jesus really is and help his guilt. Here is a link to a 14 day devotional from the book that you and he may find edifying. Check it out. https://youtu.be/zNN0UB7rsIM
God-bless you and your journey.

4 Likes

Shareen, wow! It is a thing like this that shows that we have the same Spirit working in us. It is God’s Spirit that unites us and it is encouraging to see evidence of this unity through the Spirit from time to time. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Shareen, thank you for sharing your heart with us. Your words touched me. I was just contemplating God’s forgiveness during my devotions this morning. I’m realizing I don’t have a heart comprehension of God’s forgiveness of me. I know it in my head, but I’m not feeling it.

@Keldon_Scott, thanks for the link to the devotional. I want to read Gentle and Lowly, but I was stalling until I could get the hardcover. I’m giving up, though, and purchasing the Kindle book today because Carson is starting a book study on it (Gentle and Lowly Book Study: An Invitation), and I want to be involved.

Shareen, are you interested in doing the book study with us?

5 Likes

I would love to be part of the study. Will check how I can t it digitally
Thanks

3 Likes

I’m so glad you can do the study with us! I purchased my copy at Gentle and Lowly Kindle Book at Amazon, but I don’t know if that option will work for you in Namibia. Let us know if you have any trouble getting a digital copy.

2 Likes

It was @MaryBeth1 that recommended the devotional. It has been short, sweet, and a blessing. My mother and I are actually sharing it in the morning. Very uplifting, and goes along with the book pretty well too. I am five chapters into it, but will follow Carson’s invitation for the book study. Each chapter is so rich to know who are Savior really is and how much time we waste worrying about what he thinks of us. We are children of God. And, as such, have such a rich inheritance. But, that inheritance can be realized each and every day – we don’t have to wait! :slight_smile: Have a great night.

2 Likes

Hi Shareen, and welcome - I have just joined myself. At our church, I run a recovery group called Release! which seeks to help those struggling with addictions. I have been involved in such things for some time now, since my son went through recovery in Christ from alcohol addiction. I don’t quite know how things work here, but will happily send you our leaflet, plus anything else which could be useful.
The Lord bless you both.
Dave

2 Likes

Thank you Dave, would be pleased to receive your booklet!

Welcome to Connect Shareen. I pray this forum will help you grow in your faith and understanding, and give you practical wisdom and perspective to apply with your family.

3 Likes

Hi Dave,

I am not sure if you receive my mail regarding my interest in the Recovery leaflet from your church.

Would appreciate if you could send me a copy?

Thank you

Shareen