Sharing my Faith, Again

(Vili) #1

Hi all
Recently I was having a conversation with two people, a woman named Naomi and a guy named Avram (he’s Jewish). I’m trying to craft a response to these guys (using Greg Koukl’s Tactics), and I may need a little help.

For Naomi
When I shared my faith with her, I asked her about her thoughts on Christianity, and through it I managed to show her what was the Gospels response to all of this, that when Jesus died for our sins, we are eventually redeemed in Him.

However, she said it didn’t make sense to her about how if such an all loving, all powerful, all knowing God could allow such suffering, especially for those that believe in God? To her, because He is all loving, He should not want this to happen, because He is all knowing, he should know this is happening, and if He is all powerful, he should be able to stop this right now.

As far as I understand, I have to ask her on what moral basis does she have to say that this is evil, but in regards to her response about allowing suffering for believers, I’m going to need quotes from the Bible that state that God doesn’t promise us that things will be well for His believers.

She also mentioned genocides, and why would God allow this to happen to us as well. I need a response for that too (with resources for further study, just so that I can personally familiarise myself with the material)

For Avram
I mentioned to him that Jesus was God in human form. He stated that that wasn’t possible, because a human being is created, but I mentioned to Him that Jesus proves Himself by resurrection and miracles. He states however that the prophets themselves have done miracles, so does that mean that they too are The Son (This is Avrams Question)?

I understand that there is scriptural evidence in the Old Testament that points to Jesus, so I’m going to need that with explanations how, and then there is the facts that I need for the ressurrection.

Could someone provide resources for all of these for me, just for me to craft a response? Also, feel free to provide any extra info about these things if needed.

I’m doing all of this so that I can get some practice on using Greg Koukl’s Tactics.

Thanks
Vili

2 Likes
(Vili) #2

Also
Is this the right way that I’m approaching these questions?

Thanks
Vili

(Omar Rushlive Lozada Arellano) #3

Hello Vili (@AlphaOmega). I appreciate you sharing your faith. I hope my quick response would help you in any way.

For Naomi:

It seems to me that she assumes in her statement that an all-loving God would never allow suffering. If it’s even logically possible that God would allow suffering for the greater good, then God would let that happen even to a believer. In our limitedness as humans, it’s even possible for our parents to bring us to medical facilities to receive a vaccine or medicine, which may be painful for the child, but would for sure be for the greater good for the child. If it’s possible with humans, how much more with God who is all-knowing and all-wise? It’s possible that God would allow it for the greater good. The Christian religion shows us that what’s primary in our life is to know God. And if that is the case, then suffering could be used for us to know Him more. The doctrine about the fall of man shows why we experience suffering and evil as well. In Romans 8:28-29, “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.” And aside from God working everything for us to be more like Christ, in 2 Corinthians 4:16-18, “So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.” This means that the purposes of God are not limited in this life.

For Avram:

The short answer is that the difference between Jesus and the prophets is that Jesus claimed to be God and that He will die and rose again. He was able to make miracles, then died and rose again. The prophets never claimed to be God when they did their miracles. Clarify to him as well, that the second person of the Trinity, which is God in being, never ceased to be God, but He added a human nature to Himself. This is the incarnation of Christ, which could be seen in Philippians 2:5-7, “Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.” So the second person of the Trinity is God from eternity past, then the incarnation happened in time. This shows that Jesus is not created in His divine nature, but His human nature existed in time, which is created.

2 Likes