Shedding of Jesus' blood

Good day to everyone.

Recently in our bible studies we looked into Jesus’ logr, death and resurrection and one of the questions posted was why did Jesus have to suffer before getting crucified. A few answers were given like it was prophesied, he needed to be “made perfect” and Pilate wanted to spare him from the cross since he saw that Jesus was not guilty of any crime.

A thought just came to mind right now, but wanted to confirm if it’s right. In the Old Testament, when an offering was made, the blood was sprinkled for the purification process. Is Jesus’ suffering in somehow connected to this (basically he shed his blood during the flogging)?

Is there any study or commentary out there stating that the death of Jesus was for Salvation and his shedding of blood during the flogging was for the purification of the land (since he basically sprinkled his blood when he walked from the court to Golgotha).

2 Likes

Hi, @pkblaquera. It’s funny you should bring this up, because my husband and I were recently listening to a radio program on which pastors answer people’s questions, and one of the questions was the very question posted in your Bible study.

In the Old Testament, the sprinkling, smearing, or splashing of the blood onto the alter and over the people isn’t so much a purification process as is a process of consecration and the sealing of covenantal provisions and promises. Yes, Jesus’ blood purifies us from sin, but it also confirms and ratifies the new covenant between God and His people. I have never found a commentary that says Jesus’ blood was poured out for the purification of the land, and if I did, I would disagree with it, because that idea is out of line with the rest of Scripture and the new and better promises and workings of the new covenant. God’s redemptive plan, though it will involve a new heavens and new earth (Revelation 21) someday, does not include purifying the physical land. The redemptive plan was always to reconcile people to Himself by purifying their hearts through the necessary bloodshed incurred by sin. The sprinkling of the blood on the altar isn’t analogous to Christ’s sprinkling of the blood on the land, because the altar and the land represent two different things. The land was promised to Israel based on the Sinai covenant, which the Israelites broke, but the promised land of Israel is only a type and shadow of the Promised Land we will inherit in Christ, which is the kingdom of God. The altar represents a place of consecration and the cross.

Here is an article from gotquestions.org that might be helpful:

And here is another article that is from an outreach of gotquestions.org. It gives some of the reasons you already listed, but then it adds to those with more possibilities:

I hope this helps. I look forward to hearing your thoughts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@pkblaquera Lindsay @psalm151ls has done an excellent job of explaining Christ’s shed blood and suffering. Just to tack onto what she and the weblinks have said, it was necessary for blood to be shed in order for us to have a covering for our sin. Gen.3:21 was the first foreshadowing of the need for blood to be shed because Adam and Eve’s attempt to cover themselves was insufficient. Until that time, no animal had been killed. So, when God slayed an animal (my suspicion is that it was a lamb) He shed that blood in order to make a more adequate covering of their sin. Even that was only a temporary measure.
As was mentioned by Lindsay, the life is in the blood. So, it was one’s life for the sake of another’s. We deserved to be the ones who shed our own blood and to suffer for what we did in destroying Creation and the communion that we had with the Creator God. But, God loved us too much too allow that. Nor were we holy anymore because of sin. God cannot look on anything unholy, so it took a perfect, holy Christ to suffer in our place. Even then, God could not look at Jesus on the cross because He took on our unholiness. Christ felt that separation passionately.

When Hebrews 5:8 says that Jesus “learned obedience”, a little word study of “obedience” via biblehub.com revealed that obedience is also equated with “submission” , “or hearing what was spoken”. Another way to look at Christ’s suffering and obedience is that Jesus, who was equal with God, (Phil. 2:6) but gave up that equality for our sake, further learned what it meant to submit to His Father’s voice by suffering on the cross.

Then, in verse 9, we see that to those who “obey” Christ, He has become the author, or originator of our salvation. So, Christ learned obedience by what He suffered in order to set the example for us to follow Him through the same obedience, or coming under His authority. By so doing, He becomes the source of our salvation and we further submit to Him, the Head of the Church.