Sheena Thayres

Say hello…

I am from Memphis, TN.

What led you to join Connect? I saw the podcast “How can I serve like Jesus without burning out” right after reading the National Review “Another Pop-Culture Christian Loses His Faith” https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/08/another-pop-culture-christian-loses-his-faith/?fbclid=IwAR1ZC2qFXWKl0TDMJbv7jwC-VqLSk9E1nvYHQtL3SrCLxEAJHEBYoz5TQ5E So I needed something positive. I believe God created curiosity, he isn’t angry at our questions, but there is a balance between science and faith, so I enjoy that Ravi Zacharias isn’t afraid of questions, science, psychology, and the messiness of life.

7 Likes

Hello Sheena! I am glad you joined Connect!
I know that such news about Marty or Harris or any other public figure, would make our hearts heavy. Reading what Marty wrote made me think that maybe there was an underlying personal unpleasant experience elicited those questions. But nevetheless, serious questions require serious answers! Lucky us, we have Connect! Here’s an earlier contribution about these events: Joshua Harris - Sincere Guy Who Never Thought Through His Faith?
Can’t wait to hear more from you! Questions, thoughts, any ideas… Whatever you feel like sharing with us!

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @Sheena_Haywood-Thayres. I like the curiosity that God gives us. We seek we find. It is great having you with us. I hope you have fun here reading and conversing, and may your curiosity be fully explored. God-bless you and your journey.

5 Likes

Welcome to Connect, @Sheena_Haywood-Thayres! This is exciting because I, too, am from Memphis! Born and raised…though I have re-located abroad for the time being. :slight_smile: Glad you were able to listen to the Ask Away podcast. Vince and Jo are really great. Did you find anything they said particularly helpful?

6 Likes

Thank you for raising this issue. Such news challenge us to keep a balance between the heart and mind throughout our Christian journey. Obviously, many are pursuing the heart issues with great passion, while others are pursuing the mind issues but in a critical and rigid sense. I think effective apologetics is very helpful in maintaining that balance and communicating it to others.

6 Likes

It was a great reminder that though we are called to be servants that Jesus is the ultimate servant and we can’t be God but we need to pray when things are beyond us. I took it to mean that sometimes we need to let go of control and let God intervene in people’s lives as we keep them in prayer while trying to help as humanly possible. Hopefully, I understood them correctly. It was the first time I had heard Jo speak and I liked her very much. I have heard Vince with Ravi many times and love everything he does also, and it was his name in the title that caught my interest.

6 Likes

Actually, I have been myself hit with a ton of questions randomly from people that I feel unqualified to answer though I graduated from Bible college. This has been a sort of conviction that I am not as founded in the Bible as I thought I was. Between this news article and people all of the sudden asking me about the Bible has been a wake-up call for me. I am working on my Master’s degree in Cryptography, and King Solomon has been on my mind and how his wisdom and pride ultimately caused him to fall. I really do not want to end up like him or think that knowing things will somehow pull me away from my relationship with Christ. However, at the same time, it seems like God created curiosity and welcomes it. Finding the balance, so your walking towards God does seem to be a very fine line when I see all of those from Bible college, family members, and those in prominent positions walking away from God.

5 Likes