Should I be forcing myself to try to like worship music?

My favorite podcast ever! <3

My question is about music. I love the Lord and enjoy reading the Bible and discussing Christianity and philosophy, but I don’t love music. Most of the time, I don’t even like it, though I do enjoy some of the old hymns in limited quantities. I never play music at home and never listen to it on the radio.

Often, preachers tell us that we’d better like worship (meaning singing) because that is what we will be doing forever in heaven. That does not sound like heaven to me. Every week at service, I try to find something to entertain myself for half an hour while everyone else sings, usually reading the chapters for my Tuesday Bible study. With the praise choruses, they all sound the same to me. Should I be forcing myself to try to like music?

6 Likes

Hey Susan!

So grateful for your question; thank you for trusting us with it! I certainly join you in hoping that there is more to heaven than singing! As you perceptively implied in your question, we sometimes have a tendency to speak as if music and singing represents the full scope of worship. But one Hebrew word for worship is avodah, and that single word carries with it the meanings of work, worship, and service. I think heaven is going to be such a rich and dynamic existence, full of diverse forms of work, artistic expressions, and service, and I don’t think there is anything wrong with the fact that I’m looking forward to playing sports with Jesus in heaven as much as I’m looking forward to singing with him.

That said, two principles that I believe are emphasized throughout the Bible are the importance of worshipping corporately and worshipping intimately. This is one reason that singing can be a good (certainly not the only, but a good) form of worship; it is something we can easily do together as a community, and there is something especially intimate about singing to someone and about someone. God wired each of us differently and we each are going to have our preferred forms of worship, but it is important for us to worship as a united body of believers and to do so with our hearts open to intimacy. One or both of these things may sometimes make us uncomfortable, so sometimes we need to be willing to be uncomfortable in order to worship Jesus well.

But I think greater diversity in the church’s forms of corporate, intimate worship would be a great thing. My encouragement would be to get creative with God in your prayers about this and to help forge new paths of worship for your church! Godspeed!

5 Likes