Should I Introduce Jesus To A Friend?

Hi everyone!

In an earlier post, I asked how I could introduce my new values to a friend of mine. As we were talking, she told me she’s not very religious, but she does believe there is a Higher Power. Right then, I wanted to share my testimony with her and tell her why I chose Christianity, but I didn’t want to overwhelm her. I can tell she’s sensitive to the subject, but does that mean I should let her find Christ on her own and let her know I’m open to talk about it if the opportunity ever arises? Or should I use this as my opportunity to introduce Christ to her? If so, how should I start a conversation about it, while being sensitive to her current belief? This is one of the biggest challenges, as a Christian. We have to be very careful about what we say!

Thanks, in advance! :grimacing:

8 Likes

@OJMCKEE You may find the Engel Scale helpful as you consider the wisest course of action. You might also enjoy reading “I Once Was Lost”. I think it is helpful when considering evangelism in our modern times.

I definitely don’t think there is a one size fits all answer. I do think it is important that we let others know about the love of our Lord.

Christ grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello Olivia :slightly_smiling_face:
I really appreciate your question and I understand the difficulty of knowing the timing in how we are to represent Christ in each situation. I agree with @SeanO that there is not a one size fits all way to go about witnessing to others. I would like to just add a few points that I have learnt in also considering this question:

One of the first things that God came to reveal to me is that He doesn’t ‘need’ me to witness my faith to others in order for people to be saved. What I mean by this is that God is more than capable and powerful enough to bring people into His saving grace without me. It is true that God seems to predominantly use people to lead others into a relationship with Him, but it is a mistake to think that God needs me to witness so that He can now save people. The reason this was an important revelation in my life is that it took the burden of salvation off of me and onto Him! I used to always be around people or work colleagues trying to figure out how I can witness or how I can try and start a conversation about God. I always felt pressure and awkward because it became difficult to relax in the conversation and was more constructed then flowing. As soon as I gave it into God’s hands and told Him that I desire to be an available servant to His plans, it released so much pressure on my life. The amazing thing was that all of a sudden conversations started opening up naturally, which I didn’t even do anything to start. And there was freedom and peace within the conversations because they flowed out of me just speaking as me, which I believed was because of the Lord’s anointing over the conversation.

Another point I would like to add is that Jesus met peoples needs where they were at. When blind and sick people came to Jesus and asked for healing, He didn’t first give them a sermon on how to be saved. He met people where they were at. He showed and gave the love that they needed at that time. Meet your friend where she is, love her as she needs to be loved. If you are not sure how to do that, then ask God for wisdom, or ask your friend, if you feel comfortable, how you can best love her now. You will be amazed at the opportunities and conversations God is able to open by loving people by meeting needs.

Lastly, something I have done is give books to people which I felt that they may enjoy reading, that can open up spiritual conversation or reflection in the persons life. My nieces name is Betsie, and she was named after Corrie ten Booms sister, who I read about in the book “The Hiding Place”. I have recommended the book and given the book to a number of people who were just interested in where the name came from. It didn’t matter if a conversation started or not from the reading of the book, it was given because it may plant spiritual seed within that person and hopefully they would find it interesting. I left it in the Lord’s hands.

That is just some thoughts that I hope may help you Olivia in seeking how to best witness your faith to friends or family. There are many others on this site who will be able to hopefully help you with your questions :blush:.

God bless

2 Likes

Hi Olivia, great question. In approaching someone about Jesus, it’s first good to know what level of friendship you have first. Is this person a long time friend? Is she an acquaintance? Or is he or she a person you may not ever see again. Since this person is someone you know well, and I’m assuming you do, then you can always begin by doing something fun together, like seeing a play, going shopping or eating out in a restaurant. Let’s take going out to a restaurant. First, it is always good to know how to present the Gospel clearly. You don’t need to know a lot of verses, but you do need to know how to share it in a way the person you are sharing with will connect. This is how I approach one to one friendship evangelism. I use and I have memorized the bridge Illustration. I usually begin and tell my friend my personal testimony and from there use the bridge illustration to make my point their need to be forgiven. After my testimony and after questions then I say have you ever seen the bridge illustration? The answer is No 99.9% of the time. Then I take a napkin and draw a chasm and simply present the gospel. It works all the time. I simply ask after I finish explaining the state of man. I follow up with a simple question: What side are you on? The bridge, 4 spiritual laws are good visual tools to use when engaging with a person. I hope this is helpful. The Bridge

1 Like