Should we pray to Jesus?

John 14: 14 says that we can ask anything to Jesus, in Jesus’ name and we will do it.
But in John 16:24 he says that “the day shall come when you shall ask me nothing. Ask the Father in My name and he will give it to you”
My question is how can I ask Jesus, in Jesus’ name? For example, if my boss sent me to convey a message to my colleagues, I would convey the message in my boss’ name. I cannot possibly convey the message to my boss in my boss’ name, it simply does not make sense.
Yes, Jesus is God and it made sense when he said ask the Father in my name and he will do it because the father himself loves you.
But i’m confused about John 14:14, why would he say that?

1 Like

Hello, @Benhur. What a great question! I remember getting all tied up in this several years ago and being confused, and it was quite frustrating :smiley:!

So, any time we look at a verse in Scripture, it’s helpful to back up in the passage to see what is being talked about. Starting in the beginning of the chapter, Jesus is responding to the disciples’ distress because he told them he would not be with them much longer. He tells the disciples that he is gong to prepare a place for them and will come back for them and that where he is going, they know the way. When one of his disciples expresses his lack of understanding in this, Jesus tells him that He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life and that no one comes to the Father except through Him. Then Jesus goes on to explain that because they know him, they know the Father. Still not understanding, Philip tells Jesus in verse 8 that it would be sufficient for them if Jesus showed them the Father, to which Jesus emphasizes that he and the Father are one. Jesus says in verse 10, “‘Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works’” (New King James Version.)

So this gives us the context in which we find John 14:14. Jesus says that the works he does comes from the Father who is in him. In order to help the disciples understand his role in the relationship and that no one comes to the Father except through him, Jesus directs them to ask him for anything in his name. Jesus is the only one through whom we can come to the Father. He is our high priest–the only Mediator between God and humanity. It would seem that this is what he was underscoring when he said what he did in John 14:14. In my opinion, the New King James version gives the better rendering, because I believe it expresses the intention of what Jesus is saying: “And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.” In my opinion, the intention is that the prayer is to the Father through the Son.

But here is some commentary from different studied people on this passage from Bible Hub:

https://biblehub.com/commentaries/john/14-13.htm

As to the question regarding whether or not we should pray to Jesus, the Gospel Coalition has a good response:

Let me know your thoughts :slight_smile: