Shouldn't the Idea of an "All-Seeing God" Make Us Nervous?

“You don’t need to have been born in a fundamentalist state, as I have been, to know that the concept of an all-seeing power from which there is no escape is not a positive concept in our world.” Tanya Walker says. So why would God, being an “all-seeing God,” be a positive experience? What is it that we are missing or taking for granted that makes this concept of God a source of wonder, comfort, and strength? Hear more in today’s Take Five.

What is our perception of God, and have we seen him clearly?

We can dare to be seen, dare to be real about ourselves, because He is. He has already looked, already seen. Every shade from brightest white to darkest black in your life has already been accounted for because of his great love for us.

Repentance, owning our mess, saying sorry, turning to God is an adventure because we can be safely seen, and in His forgiveness, He promises us power to change, to become the people we would so dearly love to be.

Make it Personal

• What is your reaction to considering God as “all-seeing”?

• How might you share the Gospel through this idea of the goodness of an all-seeing God?

2 Likes

I do not view it as “all-seeing” as much as “all-present.” This comforts me. Tanya’s use of Psalm 139 to meditate on this shows how important God’s presence is. I can be quite melancholy at times. I turn the lights off and get under the covers and mope. That God is with me and listens to me even when I want to run away to a hermitage has helped me to deal with some pretty difficult stuff. I can use my own experience with God’s eternal presence to communicate how comforting it is. If I can be calm or run to him in turbulent times then others will see it and wonder what my source of joy is. This can be a powerful evangelistic tool.

1 Like