Shyness and boldness

Does shyness resemble a person that is full of themselves and is afraid to be rejected or embarrassed? Also can a shy person ask God to remove his/her shyness and give him/her a new found boldness that eradicates all of his/her shyness?

4 Likes

@Matthew would you please help me to understand what you are asking in your first question?
As for your second question, God can do anything. He can make dead hearts live and can definitely do what you are asking. A scripture I always turn to when I am struggling with the fear of man is, “You have not been given a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.” 2 Timothy 1:7
I have found in my life, however, that experience has been the best way to get over shyness. This month I am preaching at church for the fourth time. If you had asked me two years ago if I would ever have been able to do that I would have said never. The first time was very frightening, as was the second but the third got easier and now the fourth, though my heart will still be thumping during worship as I know I am up after the next song, it is getting easier.
I would say a combination of prayer and practice are important to get over fear or shyness.

5 Likes

Shyness can sometimes be taken as someone who doesn’t want to speak to others. It can at times be hard for more outspoken people to read. As someone who suffers from social phobia I can understand the want/need to have a new found boldness in Christ. One thing we have to be sure of though is that we aren’t trying to wish away a part of ourselves that is unique to us. I always felt that because I had social phobia I would never be able to accomplish certain things. But as time went on I found out that I was throwing the baby out with the bath water so to speak.

My reserved personality isn’t part of being shy or my social phobia. It enables me to be easy to talk to by others and helps me see situations from a different standpoint than most people who can’t sit back and pay attention. Because I listen more than I talk I address things better lol

It’s really easy to think of someone you admire who is bold and outspoken and wish you were like them. God can give you a boldness in him just know that he’s not gonna make you like someone else. So just be careful and learn to appreciate who you are in him as he makes the changes that are necessary.

:slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Hi Matthew. I, too, am reserved as is Luna @Luna. For me, I think it was experiences of rejection over my early years that has contributed to that. But, as Luna said, learn to accept the personality God has given you, whether it be introverted or extroverted–or somewhere in between. But don’t use it as an excuse. Submit it to God.
Probably the most powerful, yet shyest, person in all of Scripture was Moses. When he complained to God that he was a stammerer, look at God’s response (Ex.4:11,12). God promised to help Moses. (In some ways, I think Moses missed out on God’s fullest blessing in his life by still requesting someone else in his place. Aaron later became a stumbling block with the golden calf incident.) I’m diverting.
My point is that God makes us who we are, and there is nothing that we can’t do that God asks us to do when we submit to his leadership and promises for us. It’s a matter of trust. Hebrews 11:12 says that Moses succeeded because by faith he persevered, having seen the invisible God. In other words, he overcame his fears because he saw the greater picture. May all of us see the “invisible God” and persevere.
(Phil. 4:13).

6 Likes

I look to myself when I asked the first question. I said to myself; why do I feel shy? It’s usually because I’m afraid of being laughed at or looked down upon. Basically, I didn’t want my ego hurt.

2 Likes

@Matthew, you have received many good responses but I wanted to make one additional point about your first question-

In answer to your question, I would say even a so called ‘bold’ person can be a person who is full of themselves and afraid to be rejected and could be compensating for his/her lack of faith in God in his/her own strength. Shyness or boldness are not always good markers of our true faith and dependence on God. Look at what Paul says others thought of him in 2 Corinthians 10:10 For some say, “His letters are weighty and forceful, but in person he is unimpressive and his speaking amounts to nothing.” Paul who wrote half the New Testament was considered “timid” face to face! (2 Cor 10:1). Irrespective of the feelings, what matters is how we let those feelings influence our choices and actions. If your desire is to please God, you do have faith in God! Both the naturally shy and the naturally bold have growing to do in the Lord. Some are able to compensate better than others in themselves even when lacking faith in God and will appear bold. Those who overestimate themselves can appear bold. But we dont need confidence in ourselves! In fact we must die to ourselves and our confidence must be from God and not just attributed to God. 2 Cor 10:17 But, “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord. 18 For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.

Hope that answers the question. God bless.

6 Likes

Great response, Lakshmi. I will take it to heart, myself. Thank you.

3 Likes

Thank you @sgewehr, glad it was helpful. There is so much in this mystery of dying to our self and letting Christ work in us. Still trying to grasp the truth myself.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!!!

1 Like

Thank you all for every carefully thought out answer. God bless you all.

1 Like