Significance of 'Jesus' as Son of God

(Junior Chacko.V ) #1

The Bible tells us that Adam was a son of God. Subsequently we read the terms ‘sons of God’ in various places in the Bible. We read those who do the will of God as children of God and sonship comes through election and calling. So when it comes to Jesus , how different is this sonship compared to others.?

(Monica Diane Hall) #2

Jesus is the only begotten son of God. In Mere Christianity C. S. Lewis gives an illustration that attempts to explain this. The idea being that when something is begotten it reproduces its same substance. A human reproduces a human a dog reproduces a dog. The difference being humans can create things that are very unlike themselves but only beget humans. Therefore Jesus alone is fully God and fully man. If you haven’t read Mere Christianity I would highly suggest it. He uses word pictures to explain theology in ways I can understand. I pray the Lord continues to reveal Himself to you. Remember He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

(Alban Hoxha) #3

I think you are reading “Son of God” vs “Children of God” which its a significant meaning.

(SeanO) #4

@Junior Great question. I think we can keep in mind that there are a few different Biblical terms that sound very similar.

1. Son of God - Jesus is ‘the’ Son of God and member of the Trinity
  2. son of God or child of God - Jesus, being human (as well as God), was the firstborn of all who would place their faith in Him - the first resurrected man. Now, we all who place our faith in Him will likewise be sons and daughters of God forever - made in His likeness.
  3. sons of God - in the Old Testament generally referred to a council of heavenly beings but may have also referred to the godly line of Seth

That list may not be exhaustive, but I think you have to keep in mind that these terms, while similar, mean different things. Christ grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

Jesus as God’s One and Only Son, Coequal with the Father

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Matthew 28:19 - Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

Christ Followers as Children of God

Galatians 3:25-26 - But since that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, 26 for you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

Matthew 5:9 - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the children of God

Romans 8:29 - For those He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers.

Sons of God in the Old Testament

Job 1:6 - One day the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them.

Genesis 6:2 - the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose