Sin has consequences but losing Jesus is not one of them?

(Charles G. Pewee) #1

Hi everyone, a renowned preacher man recently made the following assertion:

“Sin has con[s]equences but losing Jesus isn’t one of them”.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

6 Likes
(SeanO) #2

@Charmawee Could you provide some more context for his statement? What passage was he preaching on? What were his main points? I think it would help folks to respond more accurately. Thanks :slight_smile:

6 Likes
(Kathleen) #3

My initial thought is this: For Christians, Jesus will not give up on us. He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it. [Phil. 1:6] But I agree with @SeanO…it would be good to know which passage he is preaching from to lead him to make that point! :slight_smile:

5 Likes
(Rebecca Fohner) #4

I agree with Sean and KMac, to respond well we need more context. Based on what little context we have, are you asking for a discussion on if a Christian can lose his or her faith or not? Are you asking about the idea of once saved, always saved versus the possibility of losing one’s salvation?

2 Likes
(Jimmy Sellers) #5

Do you think it possible that one meaning of the real consequence of sin is, there is no sin that can place you outside of the grace of God, save the rejection of that grace?
Hence sin will not exclude you from the love Jesus even though sin can cause you to lose everything that you hold near and dear even your life.

4 Likes
(SeanO) #6

Since the topic came up and @Jimmy_Sellers pointed out the sin of unbelief, I thought I’d post a few similar topics from Connect and a Bible passage with a very serious warning. Hebrews 3 and 6 suggest that, at the very least, there is a strong connection between sin and unbelief. So saying that a believer is living in outright rebellion may be a stretch - they may have fallen into unbelief. That is why some people who believe in eternal security say a true believer will never fully lapse back into a life of habitual sin, which could be equated with a life of unbelief. Of course, we all still struggle and God always forgives when we confess (I John 1:9) and there is a process of maturing in our faith that takes time, but the Biblical warnings are very serious.

Hebrews 3:12-19 - See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. 13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. 14 We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end. 15 As has just been said:

“Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts
as you did in the rebellion.”[c]

16 Who were they who heard and rebelled? Were they not all those Moses led out of Egypt?17 And with whom was he angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies perished in the wilderness? 18 And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed? 19 So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.

2 Likes
(Charles G. Pewee) #7

@SeanO @KMac @Jimmy_Sellers @RebeccaN, thanks so much for your responses. I am sorry for my late response.

1 Like
(Charles G. Pewee) #8

That is a quote I copied from his official FaceBook page. Following your questions, I searched for his sermon on the matter. I found out that he did a whole series on “No More Self Righteousness”. Part 2 particularly addresses this issue. He preached from Romans 4:1-8.

Here is the link to the message: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsyz3igGlYw

1 Like
(SeanO) #9

@Charmawee Praying for wisdom and hope some of the above resources were helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like