Sin which does not lead to death

(Marie Flores) #1

All praises to God for this wonderful oppurtunity to be part of this group!
Yearly I make it a point to read the entire bible and been doing this for 3yrs now. As I read the bible and subscribe to RZIM on youtube and listening to Dr. Charles Stanley, by the grace of God I am learning a lot and gives me the eargerness to know more about Jesus Christ. As the year ends I am now in 1 John 5 and there’s this verse in it that I don’t understand at 1 John 5:16-17
What are the sins that will not lead ro death? That is what this verses are saying. As I continue reading the bible the more I become so excited what the Lord will tell me. I know you can help me with this journey.
Thank you and may God bless you more!
:blush:

(SeanO) #2

@MC_Flores That is a very good question. Before getting into the passage, I think it is important to remember that John’s point is rooted in the reality that God forgives all who confess their sins sincerely.

I John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

That being said, there are some uncertainties in this passage.

Is the ‘death’ physical or spiritual?

In Acts 5:1-10 Ananias and Saphira are physically struck dead by God because of their sin. Also, in I Corinthians 11:28-32, Paul warns that the rich people who are shaming their poor brethren by eating sumptuous feasts before the day laborers can arrive are in danger of death because they are insulting Christ’s body. So death here could be danger of actually physically dying.

On the other hand, John could be referring to spiritual death - eternal death.

What sin does not lead to death?

As we saw in I John 1:9, God forgives all who are willing to confess. So my opinion here is that we sin not leading to death are sins committed by a Christian whose heart is still willing to repent - they are not hardened against God yet.

On the other hand, sin that leads to death is sin committed by a person whose heart is no longer capable of repenting. You can pray for them, but they have already determined to love their sin rather than God.

So I think John is saying to pray that God would forgive any known sins of our brothers and sisters in Christ who have an active relationship with our Lord.

Are those thoughts helpful? Feel free to ask any clarifying questions.

(C Rhodes) #3

@MC_Flores. Greetings Marie. It would help to know which version of the scriptures you are reading. I read KJV and it says the following:

[14] "Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

[15] The man departed, and told the Jews that it was Jesus, which had made him whole.

[16] And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day."

(SeanO) #4

@cer7 I believe @MC_Flores is referring to I John rather than John, though I find this passage very relevant! Look at Jesus’ warning - unless some worse thing come upon thee. That could be related to the idea that I John is describing physical death. Wow, interesting.

I John 5:16-17 - If anyone sees his fellow Christian committing a sin not resulting in death, he should ask, and God will grant life to the person who commits a sin not resulting in death. There is a sin resulting in death. I do not say that he should ask about that. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, but there is sin not resulting in death.

(C Rhodes) #5

Got it thanks! I was prepared to find her version and study for understanding.:blush::+1:

(Marie Flores) #6

Thank you very much for your clarifications.
God bless!

(SeanO) #7

@MC_Flores God bless you as well! Feel free to ask further questions.