Sins that lead to death and those that don't

Hi…I would really appreciate it if you would help me understand the sins that lead to death and those that don’t according to 1 John 5:16-17

2 Likes

Hello @gladyssarpong684

It’s a privilege for me to share a brief answer to this question. Recently, a friend of mine also ask this question, so I hope I would the spark the conversation about this.

When the Bible uses the word “death” there are two meanings to it; the physical death and the spiritual death which also means separation from God. That is death, an eternal separation from our Heavenly Father.

The author of this book which is John, used the word death not referring to physical death, but to spiritual death. He points out that there are sins that lead us to “death”, which means there are sins that ultimately separates us from God.

The ESV Bible Commentary gives an explanation, that people who fully and pridefully committed themselves to a beliefs and actions that contrary to God, without having in their mind the chance of repentance, that is a sin that leads to death.

And the Bible presents to us that only Jesus defeated death, and we need to do our part – to repent, accept, and be transformed by His power

I hope these answer help!
Thank you for reading.

5 Likes

Great question, @gladyssarpong684 and very important too. Love your answer, @domingoosabel, I totally agree. Exactly, only Jesus defeated death, therefore, the sins that lead to death is not accepting, not believing, not repenting and refused to be transformed by His power. So clearly spoken, @domingoosabel, thank you.
Another verse reflect the same thing is in the gospel of John 8:24, “I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins.” So, it is actually not the difference of sins, rather how we deal with our sins.
I hope that makes sense.

5 Likes

Thank you for your answers. God bless you.

2 Likes