Slaying of hands,

it is seen, common these days, tauching forhead and falling backward ,which are being performe by many cruseder, preacher…as a bible believing christian, what should be our response…

3 Likes

Hello Elvis,

Thank you for the awesome question. This is a big issue today as there are many movements that are following the healing and prosperity doctrines and are gaining quite a following as a result.

1 Corinthians 12: 4-6 tells us that “there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit, and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone.”
No matter what people may claim to do, or be able to do, no one can do anything apart from God. It is He who empowers us and gives us the strength to do anything. Unfortunately, many people who perform healing services are not giving the true credit to God and, as the Bible tells us, are teaching and performing falsely. Even when these “healers” perform their services, many times they pull the focus onto themselves and off of God, claiming that it is they who are healing through their miraculous work.

One of the most important things to pay attention to with anyone claiming these kinds of powers is what it is that they are preaching. Many times, they will teach a false gospel that tells you to believe in yourself and that you are able to do anything if you will only have enough faith or give enough money to the church. It takes our focus and begins to shift it into this process of thinking that our works, our efforts, or even our own strength are what enables us. This is extremely dangerous teaching and we should not support it. Many people are led astray by these wolves disguised as sheep, people like Kenneth Copeland, Todd White, and Benny Hinn are just some examples of the false teachers that exist today and who preach heretical gospels that truly destroy people’s lives.

I will leave a link in this message to a video that I think will help. I have noticed that this kind of false teaching is not only a huge issue today, but it only seems to be getting worse. I would highly recommend that you look into the the ministry of Justin Peters, who researches and debunks false teachers like this through careful study and understanding of the Bible. You can find many of his videos on YouTube.

Finally, spend time in 2 Corinthians 11, 1 Timothy 6, and 2 Peter 2 which speak about some of the ways that can help you to recognize the teachings and actions of false prophets. Above all, study God’s word and pray constantly that He will provide you with the knowledge, wisdom, and discernment through His word, and your relationship with Him, to be able to recognize and avoid such teachings. Continue to learn and understand the things of God, Elvis, and He will, through the truth of His word, help you to see what is true and what is not.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask them and I pray that God will guide you to the truth that only He can give. God bless you and thank you.

American Gospel: Christ Alone
This is a sample of the documentary. The full documentary can be found on iTunes or Amazon Prime. Hope it helps.

3 Likes

Hi Matthew thank you for your response, it’s getting momentum in our places, and many churches in North East india I am very concerned, and there is confusion all around… When such work are being carried out.

3 Likes

You are welcome Elvis. This is doctrine that is spreading all over the world and I will be praying for you and your brothers in India that the truth shows through. God tells us very clearly in His word that in the later days, many false teachers will come forth, preaching a false gospel. In these times when we can see it happening around us we must cling to to Christ and His word even more. Nothing happens in this world without His oversight. He is aware of our situation and, as we are told in 2 Peter 3:9, “The Lord is not slow to fulfill His promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.”

Even when the situation looks scary, or even hopeless, God is aware of everything that is happening and He is not slow to fulfill His promises. He doesn’t not desire that anyone should perish and is giving time for us to turn from our sinful ways and follow Him. I will pray for you Elvis, and for your fellow brothers and sisters in India. Take heart in Christ and always know that He is in control in all things. Seek the truth and you will find it through Christ, in His word.
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.” - Proverbs 3:5-6.

God bless you and thank you.
Matthew

2 Likes

Hello Elvis and great question.

I presume most of the preachers/prophets/leaders who do the “slaying” are claiming a spiritual gift of sorts. As such, I think the words in I Corinthians 12-14 on spiritual gifts will also be helpful. From this passage, I make two observations.

First, nothing like the modern “slaying of Spirit”, that is, one initiated by the touch of a prophet, preacher, or other, is noted in the passage as a spiritual gift. There is also no direct mentioned of this practice anywhere else in the Bible. Certainly, there are instances of people being overwhelmed by the power of our God and falling down, but such was not initiated by human touch. Similarly, there are passages that connect touching or the “laying of hands” with healing (though God is recognized as the source), but not being “slain” by such touch.

Second, the primary purpose of Spiritual gifts is to edify the church as a whole. To be fair, I think one could argue that “slaying by the hands” could edify the body of the Christ. However, it could also undermine sound Biblical doctrine and cause believers to substitute some of their faith in God for faith in the prophet/preacher. This is not to say I agree with the practice (I don’t), but only to recognize that, as mmingus36 so brilliantly articulated, I believe the crucial task is to look at the teaching that surrounds the practice. I personally hold that it is possible for a genuine follower of Christ to (mistakenly in my opinion) believe in the “slaying of the Spirit”; however, one must also recognize that this practice is often surrounded by teachings or ideas that I would consider anti-Biblical.

With that being said, what is the practical response? I would say be neither quick to judge nor quick to accept those who profess to preach God’s word, but test their words and teachings against the Bible. Pray for discernment and even when combating false teaching or taking a stand against a belief, let love be your motive.

1 Like

Thank you Kelly,helping me how to approach in such a situation, not to be quick in judging,test with Bible, discernment., .motive… With love… Ty…