Soul ties

Hi everyone
i need help understanding this topic on soul ties. i understand the gist of it from what I have heard people say but I am yet to hear anyone address it with biblical references. Most people who talk about it talk about personal experiences and that of others but do not give references from the Bible.
I want to to is there any real basis to this or is this a fancy name for spiritual warfare and giving it a fancy name. I am very conflicted about how its addressed and how suddenly there are different types of soul ties.
Would appreciate some insight

4 Likes

Hi @Lorna_Abwonji,

This will not be an easy topic indeed, but it is no small topic either. So as not to miss the point totally, would you kindly elaborate on what exactly about Soul Ties do you mean? Any specific case?

Thank you, Blessings.

3 Likes

Hi Roy, thank you fro responding.
The topic on soul ties as i understood it before is that is from
1 Corinthians 6:16 Or do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, “The two will become one flesh.

Basically it is a verse that discourages sexual promiscuity because of God’s purpose of sex in marriage which is to join a couple in Holy Matrimony. I understand it from this prespective though I do not necessarily understand why the words Soul Ties is used cause I dont see the Biblical implication and I feel it is borderline false doctrine

But lately it is going further and I have seen video on youtube where they say you can have soul ties and not know it and that it can even be non seual, can be emotional etc.
Yet non give any biblical passages supporting this which is why I have an issue with it and its being popularized more as a way to discourage premarital sex. There is even a pastor who claimed that only someone with a higher spiritual rank than you can break the soul tie, which I beg to differ because of 1 Timothy 2:5 For, There is one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity—the man Christ Jesus.
I believe in anything spiritual warfare one must lean on the leading of the Holy Spirit not an earthly formula

Anyways I just wanted to hear peoples thoughts on this platform and get more information on the matter and on the origin and why its becoming acceptable doctrine.

I also found this source of information

3 Likes

Hi @Lorna_Abwonji,

I have to admit I’m not familiar with this issue. And the article from Got Question seems to have covered it well.

When you mentioned Soul Ties, do you mean Soul as in spirit? Or Soul as in the heart and mind of a man? I personally believe our spirit are separate and cannot be tied to another person’s spirit.

But in terms of heart and mind, we all know sexual intimacy had greater impact beyond physical. Scientifically, during sex, bonding hormones are released called oxytocin and vasopressin, which reinforces the attachment of 2 people to each other, in heart and mind. I’m no biology expert, but you can look it up.

So this knowledge about sex actually supports the “2 becomes 1 flesh” Bible verses. At least we now have an idea of the scientific workings behind it.

Hope that helps. Blessings

2 Likes

Hey @Lorna_Abwonji,

Thanks for taking the time to search and dig up that article. It definitely gave me a much better reference point to your original post. The sentiments in the article and what has been shared here agree with my own. There does not seem to be a good reason to further fragment sin so or try to create a coordinated spiritual ware fare attack.

Unless someone has another scripture to dive contrary to this, I think that article covers things well for me. Thanks!

1 Like

I understand you’d need scriptures to back up the following considerations, and I don’t want to give the impression that I’ve got it all figured out…
But for clarity: Are you wanting to know if there are occult principals for luring and hooking and binding someone’s non physical aspects “soul” into some kind of worm hole they can’t escape from or are you wanting to know the actual principals they might use for doing so when the worm hole is another person?

1 Like

Hey @RoySujanto thank you for responding and for your insights. I agree with you point of view i have heard of the scientific explanation before as well. Also i think they do mean soul and not spirit. if you manage to search Youtube videos on the topic you will somehow sense its getting away from Biblical truths and growing into another doctrine, almost like the prosperity gospel. Where there is truth in the message but its really stretched into something else.

1 Like

Hey @andrew.bulin thank you for taking the time to go through it and giving me your insights. i do agree there is no need to fragment sin
Blessings

2 Likes

Hi @timotto i hope I answer correctly cause i may have misunderstood your question. my issue is the soul ties doctrine is being preached a lot without much spiritual doctrine. i don’t know if its common in other places but i am noticing it alot in African churches and i realized out of one scripture there is a lot of theories springing from it like the way the prosperity gospel has become. I’m wondering what is the best way to tackle this as a discussion with people who believe in this.

1 Like

So here’s my 2 cents:

I think you should be able to get what you need out of Ephesians (chapters 1-6). Things that aren’t typically labeled “spiritual warfare” are a lot more “spiritual warfare” than they might seem.
In my personal horror story with spiritual warfare the wow-wee-hype and fascination is. Not useful…
… be sober, be vigilant for your adversary the Devil.

The believer’s position in the fight is to “stand” in your position and to pray (and obey) while being fired upon by “fiery darts” and the Devil’s armory. Notice by Ephesians 6, that “armor of God” is a different line of defense mechanisms than our natural human defense mechanisms. God’s defense mechanisms fall in line with the theme of standing and enduring and defending (while being fired upon). Whereas the natural knee jerk human defense mechanisms of the mind of the flesh, fall more in line with being offended, becoming bitter, cutting people off, being worried, fearful, or even coming up with our own “fiery darts of righteousness” and firing back… :fire:

It’s useful to recognizing these differences because when you compare the spirit of God’s defense mechanisms with the spirit of our natural defense mechanisms you can gain a better sense of direction when someone throws something weird into the mix.

… and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit (Eph 6:17)

2 Likes

Yes and Amen, thank you so much @timotto awesome response. Gotten some perspective on how to converse with people on this topic now

The thing on “soul ties” (if you want to call it that) can be found in Ephesians 5:21- 6:9
If a soul tie is the binding of 2 people in ways beyond the physical (call it the “soul” for now)… Then “love” (for example) would fall into that category. But love is not the only thing like this. You’ll find it interesting that Ephesians explains other non-physical-connections using phrases like “Submit yourselves one to another” “Husbands love your wives” “reverence” “Obey… your parents”, “provoke not…”, “be obedient to…” And notice that all of this (in Ephesians 5:21- 6:9) is the pretext the bible lays out right before discussing the armor of God. If you see the likelihood for this being non-coincidental you’ll be more able to “connect the dots” in your mind to understand how the pieces fit together.

Hi @timotto thanks again for the additional scriptures. To give you more context here are the links to the videos I watched that raised my concern about my question. It may give more clarity. These are Christians based in Kenya. I personally like watching their content because they address various issues affecting young believers in Kenya but i do feel they missed the mark abit with this .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IcOGlE2BK8

I’ve heard of soul ties and the way it was explained to me is that it’s when you can’t let go of something that you need to let go of mentally and emotionally. The soul = the mind. I do think it’s just another popular term for not being able to detatch from a sexual partner.

While yes having sex with someone does create a bond with them physically (chemically) and emotionally I don’t think it needs to be redefined through new terms. It just confuses people. I don’t think it’s a false doctrine just one that is made up of things that are already clearly defined in the Bible and they don’t need a new term to be discussed. Soul ties = the ramifications of sexual immorality. For those who say soul ties can be non sexual that’s called idolatry to me. Idolatry = anything that becomes your source aside from God. If you are emotionally dependent on someone so much so that you don’t rely on God or they hinder your relationship with him then you have made them your idol.

But to not go off subject I just think it’s just a term that covers multiple terms if that makes sense.

2 Likes

Thanks so much @Luna this actually helps me understand more about it cause i always wondered how to approach the topic with the right context. This explanation is very helpful. Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like