Sovereignty of God over the Unsaved

Hello there.

Recently, my father passed away due to cancer. We were only informed about 1-2 weeks prior to his death. We do have the knowledge that he has HEPA B and is weak/sick most of his life (His liver conditioned worsened but he showed improvement from time to time). I’m saying this to state that I always prayed for his health and well-being, though I did not expect his condition to worsen so suddenly.

My father was murdered by his brothers (who were in connivance with the doctors) for a large amount of money. Thus, he lost his trust after a few weeks of treatment and flew back to our home country, to us.

However, my father, in my perception, was a non-believer. He was the typical money-oriented man who did not factor God in his daily life and decisions. Maybe he did believe in one (Buddhism), but he certainly did not believe in Jesus.

So that week, nearing his death, I think that God was telling me to share the gospel to him. Given that we were not close as father and daughter, I had a really hard time. So I prepared. The time came when I decided that I was ready (not fully prepared for everything but at least I have the content), but I shied away when I got rejected by him.

He was the type of person who was SO HARDWORKING. Literally sacrificed his life to provide for his family and was selfless. I doubt that he relied on God to provide. Well, I relied on God to provide and I think that it was through my father (I’m still not sure about this.)

So in the end, he died without hearing the gospel. I don’t remember praying about his salvation exactly, but would God allow such a thing to happen? A soul not to be saved?

I know that with regards to justice, yes he is destined to go to Hell because of his choice to reject God if ever he had encountered Him. However, I find this unfair.

Is this partly my fault for holding back on sharing the gospel?

Thank you for reading and for answering.

1 Like

@AnotherInquirer Natasha, I am sorry to hear about your loss and the family relations that are making this time of grieving more difficult for you. Although you were not close with your father, it sounds like you tried to comfort him in his last days.

As a Christian, I think the loss of relatives who had no clear testimony of believing in Christ is particularly difficult. We want so much to see them in God’s kingdom, but also know they did not pursue it for themselves. The title of your post is correct, God is sovereign, and for that reason we also draw comfort from the words of Abraham, “Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?” (Genesis 18:25).

You say you shied away from sharing the Gospel with your father when he rejected you and you cannot remember praying about his salvation exactly. This does not mean that your father necessarily died without hearing the Gospel. Scripture tells us that God is not willing that any should perish and he has no pleasure in the death of the wicked (2 Peter 3:9; Ezekiel 33:11). I think we can believe, then, that God, who wants us saved, has taken on himself all that is necessary to save us. This means that in some way, at some time, he makes his appeal to each of us, “Turn, turn from your evil ways! For why should you die” (Ezekiel 33:11). This may come in as ordinary a way as the goodness that he bestows on all (Matthew 5:45) — goodness that leads us to repentance (Romans 2:4).

Sadly, most do not receive God’s grace and your father may be among them, but we also do not know what transpires in those moments of solitude. Perhaps, like the thief on the cross, he responded in the end.

Jesus said that those who mourn will be comforted. May his comfort carry you through this time.

3 Likes