Spiritual life

(HarryAnuraag) #1

Hello! I have a question
How to read the word of god with spirit?not just like how we read normal books.
What does it mean bear fruit??
Daily I am reading word,praying doing all things which a follower of Christ has to do but still, my friends are claiming that I am not on right track because they didn’t see any change in me . I don’t know how to respond to it and I’m helpless in this situation. Please help me in transforming into Christ likeness.
Thank you!

(C Rhodes) #2

@Anuraag. Hello, be encouraged there are some excellent sources of information in this venue. I just happened to see your post first. So, you get more homespun information than researched details.

I just wanted to point out that because you are already making a deliberate effort to read GOD’s Word, you have already breached a most difficult gap. Even though you are not sure how to read the Word in a way that indicates to others that you have experienced change; I think you already have a heart that thirst for GOD.

Be patient with your own humanity, GOD knows the intent of your heart. GOD knows your heart longs to know him as you have seen in others. I say read the Bible like a comic book if you must, it does not matter. GOD will meet you in the humor or mundane of your efforts.

Just keep reading it like you would any other book. Trust me, that time is coming when those words will leap from the pages and stand boldly in your life. The Word of GOD says to study to show yourself approved, a workman that need not be ashamed. Rightly dividing the Word of Truth. So you see, reading the word and studying the word will bear fruit.

(Helen Tan) #4

@Anuraag, I can see from what you wrote that you are longing for growth in the Lord. As @cer7 said, God knows your heart and will meet you where you are to take you to where He has planned for you to be. Our role is to simply trust Him, open our hearts to Him and let Him lead us. And He is more than able to guide us on the journey He has designed for us. It is in a place of trust, just as a baby leans on his mother for all that he needs, that we can grow. When we do that, we will find that He is most amazing in guiding, teaching and changing us, so much so that we are being transformed almost in an imperceptible manner. Such transformations may not be obvious, for example to your friends, but over time, you (and they) will see that you are not the same person you used to be. Something profound has happened and you are loved and being guided by your most loving Father who knows you perfectly. Keep looking to Him each day and His perfect work will transform and build you into a mighty man of God. He never fails!

(SeanO) #5

@Anuraag My advice would be to take the focus off of yourself and turn it towards Jesus and the Good News of the Gospel. The key to bearing fruit is to remain in Christ’s love - and we love because He first loved us by dying on the cross to save us from our sins. The Gospel is the power of God - the Gospel is the heart of our faith - the Gospel teaches us to love God and others because of the tremendous love shown by Jesus.

There is a paradox in the Christian faith because we are called to do two things simultaneously:

1. Rest in perfect peace in the love of Jesus
  2. Strive to learn God’s Word, pray for others and crucify our flesh

What I am hearing as I listen to you is that you are striving - don’t stop! We must strive against sin and seek God’s Kingdom first. But it also sounds like you are not resting. Our striving must be rooted in our resting. We strive because we have found God’s love in Christ. We strive after God’s Kingdom because He first loved us and suffered that we might live - He is our strength and our peace and our joy.

Matthew 11:28-30 - “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Think of the woman from John 7 - why did she love Jesus so much? Because she recognized how unbelievable God’s love for her was - she understood the heart of the Gospel. Look at what Jesus says - he knows her sins have been forgiven how? By the love that she shows! Our love is the result of recognizing God’s great mercy in our lives and it is that love that is the fruit of the Spirit!

Jesus - King of Kings and God of all Creation - has humbled Himself and been considered an outcast and sinner so that we, who are outcast and sinners, can come into the family of God. The Pharisees humiliated her and despised her - religious people scorned her - but the Son of God loved her - and that is why she wept - that is why she loved. And it is that love that produces the fruit of the Spirit in our lives - resting in that love - abiding in the love of Christ.

John 7:39-47 - When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is—that she is a sinner.”

40 Jesus answered him, “Simon, I have something to tell you.”

“Tell me, teacher,” he said.

41 “Two people owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii,[c] and the other fifty. 42 Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he forgave the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?”

43 Simon replied, “I suppose the one who had the bigger debt forgiven.”

“You have judged correctly,” Jesus said.

44 Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45 You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. 46 You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. 47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”

I would recommend reading ‘The Explicit Gospel’ by Matt Chandler as a way of just reviewing and meditating on the beauty of what Jesus has done for us. I believe that is at the heart of bearing fruit - abiding in the love of Jesus.

Worship Music

I like to listen to good worship music to rest in Jesus each day and remember how great His love is :slight_smile:

(Elizabeth Bays) #6

@anuraag Reading the Word and praying is the best possible way to learn and grow as a believer in Christ. You are certainly on the right track. Sometimes friends mean well but often our own human imperfections and pride get in the way. Job’s three friends in the Bible are a good example of this when they came to sympathize and encourage him and later ended up more so accusing him.
Please know that it takes time to grow as a believer. God is very patient with us and walks beside us in our journey of trusting Him and learning what it means to be Christlike.

Here are a few suggestions for learning to read His Word and apply it to your life.

The Word is alive because it is God’s message to us. The Spirit helps us to understand it as we read it. Often times you may feel convicted over something. While reading, the Spirit may bring to your thoughts an area in your life He wants to work with you on. It could be a habit, an addition, a sin. The purpose of this is not to condemn and make you feel like a failure. Satan does that. Satan condemns us. However, God does not condemn us. God convicts us and we are moved by the Spirit to work on changing it or eliminating it with His help.

Another way the Spirit speaks to us while we read or pray is you may think of someone to pray for or encourage. The Spirit may prompt you to do something for someone who is in need and you will feel led to reach out to them.

And often times it’s not a work session when we read or pray, it’s simply an act of worship. We may need to just be quiet and meditate on what we are reading and rest in knowing God is faithful to us. We may sing praises or lift our hands in adoration. Learning to be grateful and give thanks to God is just as important as studying His Word. Philippians 4:4-9

As you apply these things to your life based on the Spirit’s leading, these ‘works’ will be self-evident of the fruit that is being produced.

It may help you to journal your thoughts as you read the Word. Writing out your thoughts is another way the Spirit can give insight to you as you study. Keep in mind that while the Spirit does speak to us, we also have thousands of thoughts that go through our head and Satan puts thoughts in our mind as well. Consider this: God’s Spirit will never contradict His Word; If God tells you to do something, it will line up with what He’s already said in the Bible.
Pray for wisdom and discernment as you study and may you be blessed as you continue your journey with Christ.