Starting TAWDE Today!

Hi All! (@Interested_In_Book_Studies)

I’m excited to start this journey together! Today is the day we begin reading The Atheist Who Didn’t Exist: Or Dreadful Consequences of Bad Arguments by Andy Bannister. Don’t worry if you don’t have your copy yet because you’ll be able to catch up quickly - it’s an easy read written on the pop level that still packs a punch. If you’d like to buy the book over checking it out from the library, click HERE.

The plan is to have chapter one finished by this time next week and to have discussions here on RZIM Connect over the material. I’ll create another post later this week to start the direct discussion over the content, but for now, let’s get acquainted with one another by introducing ourselves… Maybe answer a few of the questions below plus anything else you’d like to share with the group:

1. What’s your name?
  2. Where are you from?
  3. What excites you the most about reading this book together?
  4. How do you hope this changes your walk with Jesus and how you interact with others?
  5. What type of toothpaste do you use?

I’ll go first.

My name is Bo Abbott and I live in the Denver, CO area. I’m most excited about hearing the thoughts and perspectives of other participants because I’ve read this book before, so I want to be challenged and sharpened by the views of others. I really hope this book discussion teaches me to give more winsome answers to questioners I interact with because I know answering the questioner is much more important than giving a great textbook reply. Lastly, I switch my toothpaste back and forth between Colgate and Crest.

Looking forward to hearing from everybody else!

8 Likes

@Interested_In_Book_Studies

Hi All! Excited to start this book…but, sadly, it hasn’t arrived yet. Glad to hear that it should be an easy book to catch up with!

1. What’s your name? Name is Kelly.

2. Where are you from? I live in the midwest of the US.

3. What excites you the most about reading this book together? I’ve been reading about apologetic studies for about three years now (still just a newbie!). However, learning to discuss and enter into conversation is challenging. Always open to learning from others!

4. How do you hope this changes your walk with Jesus and how you interact with others? I hope to be able to engage others more effectively!! I’m very blunt, so I’m sure I can benefit from this :)!

5. What type of toothpaste do you use? Lol. Whatever does not contain fluoride.

5 Likes

Hello! My name is Jess! I am from South Carolina and I am very excited to read this book! This is the first time I have heard of this book, the content seems relatable and engaging based on reviews I have read! I am very confident in my personal walk with Christ and positions on orthodox doctrine, but I struggle with how to communicate that with others in a loving and fruitful way. Our culture seems to not believe in anything, and I have friends who are agnostics. Btw, I pretty much grab whatever toothpaste is cheap (except AIM brand, I really hate using that!)

4 Likes

I’m joining in from Adelaide, South Australia. I’ve read all of John Lennox’s books, and a couple of Ravi’s, but other than hearing from Andy in the Core module I’ve not read any of his books. I hope to just be able to share Jesus with atheists in a better and more understanding way. err, toothpaste, whatever the chief purchasing officer in our house (my wife) buys is what I use. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m keen to participate although I haven’t got the book and I’m not sure how easy it will be to get…
I’m Caroline from Zambia (southern Africa) I love interactions with like-minded believers, and discussing a book will be an awesome opportunity to have good focused interactions esp with an apologist perspective.
My toothpaste is called Aquafresh - it comes in various flavors but I prefer Minty Fresh :smiley:

5 Likes

@carolinegreen have you considered getting it on Kindle? Even if you don’t have a kindle device you can get a reading app for windows, Mac, phones etc. (it’s cheaper too :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip Matt I will look into it​:+1::nerd_face:

3 Likes

A big hello from Dundee in Scotland. Excited you’re all going to be reading through The Atheist Who Didn’t Exist and I hope you have fun. (If you have half as much fun reading it as I had writing it, I’ll have had twice as much fun as you). Seriously, though, I really hope you enjoy the book, in particular I hope it gives you ideas about fresh ways to engage our skeptical friends … and maybe as you read it, you’ll think of an atheist friend or colleague the book might be good gift for.

What’s your name?

Andy Bannister. I’m the Director of the Solas Centre for Public Christianity, an Adjunct Speaker with RZIM, and the author of The Atheist Who Didn’t Exist, the only comedy apologetics book where the footnotes add extra value.

Where are you from?

Originally London in the UK. Then Oxford. Then Toronto in Canada. And now Dundee in Scotland. I figure if I keep moving, they can’t catch me.

What excites you the most about reading this book together?

I’m exciting you’ll be reading this book and I hope you find it funny, thought-provoking, and challenging. I wrote it because I realised my non-Christian friends weren’t reading the typical “apologetics books” because they thought they were boring. And I also met many Christians who thought “apologetics was just for academic people”. So I wrote The Atheist Who Didn’t Exist to try to engage with non-Christians and to get more Christians thinking about how to share their faith persuasively.

How do you hope this changes your walk with Jesus and how you interact with others?

I’m always looking for ways to start conversations with non-Christians. And I’ve been hugely encouraged to hear stories of how The Atheist Who Didn’t Exist has done just that for people (myself included). Try giving a copy to an atheist friend and saying “You may not agree with everything Andy says, but I do think you’ll enjoy the book and laugh a lot”. Don’t forget to remind them to read the footnotes :slight_smile:

What type of toothpaste do you use?

The advantage of false teeth is you can just put them in the dishwasher.

10 Likes

Andy,

Glad you posted!

Just to let you know, as I was in process of reading your book while sitting in Starbucks, Barnes and Noble or a local coffee shop, I would commonly lay it face up/title showing on the table I was sitting at as I read my bible or used my cell phone or iPad. And, it caught several unbelievers eyes and led to apologetic conversations without any effort on my part! Made me realize I need to keep a couple of copies handy as give-aways and as leave-behinds in high traffic areas - the title and look piqued people’s interest.

Do you offer bulk discounts? Drop ship? :grin:

Thanks for all you do!

Kevin

6 Likes

Wow, being joined by you is exciting. I have been reading ahead and didn’t understand some of the logic in a couple of paragraphs chapter 3…

I’ll wait patiently until @boabbott gets us to chapter three to talk it through with everyone… :slight_smile:

Thanks Andy, for your ministry at RZIM.

4 Likes