“Stir Me” - Helen Roseveare

I thought you all might be interested in this series of sermon I stumbled upon by Helen Roseveare - a missionary stories are stunning - there are 4 talks she gives in her “Stir Me” series (link below) where her her powerful prayers for growth in Christ make me hunger for more and more.

https://www.path2prayer.com/famous-missionaries/helen-roseveare

2 Likes

Dear Andrea
Thank you ever so much for the talks by Dr Helen. She was a dear friend of mine. She spoke at 3 of our missions conference on suffering. They were really something. I am in a wheelchair and Dr Helen & I went to hear Joni speak. She is an amazing woman. I loved how she would just say the name “Jesus”. She loved Jesus dearly.

I’ll be interested in hearing these talks. She didn’t tape many talks though I literally have a tape of our conference where she speaks on suffering.

2 Likes

Wow, Tim - that is really something! I’ve read everything I could find from her. She has a simple but profound way of communicating her relationship with Him. When I hear her talk, it’s more than wisdom that comes out - her walk with Christ seemed to straddle both worlds.

She illuminated for me what it meant to be part
Of the Fellowship Of His sufferings - when she was raped and beaten in the Congo uprisings and came to understand that they were really “doing that to Him” -

I would love to know what you think of this series - it’s a real gift to meet you.

2 Likes

One more note —- I love how she says “Jesus” too. So great to meet you.

1 Like

I’ve not gotten to the sessions yet. I’ll be curious if she covers the topic of suffering as she did at our lodge. Also, she discussed ! Kings 18 and spoke of spiritual backlash that I’ve not heard anyone else speak of.

As I mentioned, she was here for 3 conferences and I was in a paralyzing firefighting accident before her 3r visit. Andrea, I had never experinced the fellowship of suffering before. We became such good friends. I saw her a few other times and even wanted to go to Ireland to visit her but she was too ill and I lost my chance.

HEY - TO ANYONE ELSE READING THIS - please view the series that Andrea has recommended. You’ll be glad that you did!

1 Like

Tim! Thanks so much for your insights (can’t wait to dig into “spiritual backlash ???” -

You are a great brother -

1 Like

Andrea, if it is only you and me, maybe I should message you but I did listen to the first talk of Dr Helen. Just hearing her voice made me so grateful that Jesus blessed me with Dr Helen. I think of her often.

I will get to the other talks, but does she speak to spiritual backlash? If not, I’ll message you and we can discuss it.

Tim!

sorry for the delay …

i listened to everyone of Helen’s teachings agin (except ‘to give’ and can’t find any discussion about spiritual backlash?

i will listen to that one on the way to work. The concept is foreign to me? i’d really like to understand. Thanks so much for batting this around with me.

Knowing that these were meaningful for you is so good.

I heard Dr. John Lennox speak of her briefly in a YouTube interview and I liked her up. Immediately, i saw what a deeper walk with Christ looked like, and have been asking for that Mountain ever since.

you rock, my friend …

Andrea

1 Like

Andrea, I began Stir Me part 2 and it started off in the middle of a sentence and then she started talking about the young boy James in the same verbiage as she did in the first part so I’m confused. Did she ever get into a deep subject on Suffering? As I have said, I heard the most profound teaching on suffering that I’ve ever hear from her. I have it on tape but if i could get it on CD, would you want me to send you one? It might be safer, if you would be interested, to get in touch with me @ timkramey@gmail. com as I would need to get your address to send it to if you wanted to go that route. I don’t know if it would be too large to send via email. But let me know.

Regarding spiritual backlash, Dr Helen used I Kings 18. It is where Elijah calls down fire on the altar. The Israelis were in limbo over Jehovah verses Baal. Please read the chapter as well as 1 Kings 19 to refresh yourself.

You’ll notice all of the ways that the Lord used Elijah and what happens after the fire consumes the altar, the priests of Baal are slain, he calls down rain on the dry earth and he runs before King Ahab? He tells the Lord I never need a manifestation of you again after all I saw today! No, rather he tells the Lord that he wants to die! Where in the world did that come from?

Dr Helen explained that in her life and as well as Christian teachers that she’s known, right after there is a great move of God through there lives, they encounter a spiritual backlash. After your emotions have been high and you’ve exhausted a lot through the emotions, a Christian teacher will often begin to question the validity of what they just talked about. She referred to it as spiritual backlash.

Andrea, Dr Helen was the godliest, honest, and most forthright person that I have ever known. That whole concept of spiritual backlash I had never heard of nor have I heard of since. It is very profound. As we have the very missions conference every year that she spoke at on 3 occasions, I am now always burdened to pray for the enemy’s attempt to beat the brother or sister, who are the main speaker, because they are tired from serving the Lord. It’s true as it has happened to me. I don’t know why it isn’t spoken to enough.

That’s why the Ravis and the Michaels, Vince & Joy, Michelle, Jill etc need our prayers. They are not above spiritual exhaustion.

This is long enough and I could have explained more but I think you get the right idea.

I love you for that - thank you for taking time to write that. I’ll go read 1Kings again.

It was Dr. Helen who opened my eyes to suffering as well. Her stories make me crave to be in the fellowship of his sufferings. She made me understand it as a joy, a trust, and a privilege.

I’ll do some searching for it online (Suffering teaching) but I don’t have a CD hooked up to my computer any longer —-

I know I heard it off a “sermon” site —- I was walking the Camino De Santiago, 3 years ago, and I heard her one night online in a youth hostel, somewhere in Spain.

It’s a gift to learn from you - I will keep Ravi and all in my prayers.

Thank you so much.

1 Like

Hey Andrea, I checked with my son about taking the tape of Dr Helen on suffering and digitizing it. He said that I could email it to you. Would you want that or do you want to remain secure? I would advise that if you did prefer to do so, that you messaged me your email address. Let me now what your preference is.

Any light on my question as to Dr Helen being in the middle of a sentence and her telling the story of James that she had already told verbatim? Do I just push through and it comes together?

Tim_Ramey

Academy Alum

January 9

Hey Andrea, I checked with my son about taking the tape of Dr Helen on suffering and digitizing it. He said that I could email it to you. Would you want that or do you want to remain secure? I would advise that if you did prefer to do so, that you messaged me your email address. Let me now what your preference is.

Any light on my question as to Dr Helen being in the middle of a sentence and her telling the story of James that she had already told verbatim? Do I just push through and it comes together?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Ahh - sorry I left that answer off.

I had the same experience / and assumed it was just a bad recording, and someone picked her up mid-sentence.

I think you are more astute than I am.

I would love a digitized recording. I will send you my real email address.

Many thanks.

1 Like