Storytelling - Hero's Journey

Hello!

I am exploring Storytelling pedagogy as a powerful tool for working with children’s worldviews. I constantly come across this framework called the Hero’s journey while interacting with different groups of artists and educators.
Link - https://youtu.be/Hhk4N9A0oCA

A lot of times, this very framework poses a question of the whole Bible being ‘a good storybook’ and hence myth.

1. Has anyone come across the Hero’s Journey in your own personal conversations?
  2. Is there anyone with a good understanding of the science behind storytelling and alternatives frameworks apart from the Hero’s journey?

Blessed to have this community to throw these questions out!

Archana

2 Likes

Hello, @Archana! I was fascinated by your question, but am curious how you understand ‘myth’? Would myth be opposed to reality in your mind?

1 Like

Hi Archana,

Sounds like you’re up to something very interesting.

I’m familiar with the hero’s journey as it’s used quite a bit in advertisement… as the saying goes “Facts tell but stories sell”.

If you’re looking for a good understanding of frameworks behind storytelling there’s a “landmark-ish” book that is pretty much regarded by some to encompass the “science” of storytelling… It details a bunch of frameworks and models to get you thinking… It’s probably a good starting point for what you’re describing. It’s called “save the cat goes to the movies”.

One more thing: If you’re looking to develop your skill of story writing you should absolutely check out the awesomeness of Mr. Pudewa at https://iew.com/ . My children took his course and came through it with amazing improvements… He’s got a good program… Mr Pudewa’s courses actually teach how to write. And the results, for my kids, were exciting!

Here’s a bit of an introduction to save the cat goes to the movies:

There are a several life-correlatives to the idea of the hero’s journey.
One of them has to do with success. After all, a story is made up of a “succession” of events where one thing leads to another to form the “story” of what happened. Because of this parallel there are general principals and trends that can be expected in the journey of growth. And in some respects it may not matter whether the story actually happened or whether the myth was written as a metaphor to exhibit some kind of principle (like Aesop’s fables). With this in mind you can follow multi-billionaire Ray Dalio’s little video on principals of success to discover that the increments of growth one can expect along the journey of success are somewhat metaphoric to the hero’s journey. Why? Because it’s a general pattern of how character and growth is not gained without pain and struggle. (see James chapter 1 for biblical confirmation of this). There are other principals that follow the same trend. A study of theory-U also follows along the same lines.

Don’t know if that helps any. But those are my first thoughts.

3 Likes

@KMac, yes precisely that! What I meant by the word ‘myth’ is ‘untrue

Hello @timotto! Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable insights and resources, I really appreciate it!

It was interesting to see the connection you made between Success and Story telling, never thought of that before :nerd_face:

I will spend sometime going through the 4 resources you suggested - IEW, Save the Cat, Ray Dalio and Theory-U. Will share useful insights that may be associated with Creative Apologetics.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the clarification! I realise this is slightly tangential to your questions, but I thought this might be interesting for you. Have you come across C.S. Lewis’ essay ‘Myth Became Fact’ from God in the Dock? He dialogues with that assertion you mentioned about the Bible being only myth or legend, and it’s fascinating.

Here is a link to the larger excerpt:

Some of the points that stood out the most to me were:

Now as myth transcends thought, incarnation transcends myth. The heart of Christianity is a myth which is also a fact. The old myth of the dying god, without ceasing to be myth, comes down from the heaven of legend and imagination to the earth of history. It happens at a particular date, in a particular place, followed by definable historical consequences. We pass from a Balder or an Osiris, dying nobody knows when or where, to a historical person crucified (it is all in order) under Pontius Pilate. By becoming fact it does not cease to be myth: that is the miracle. I suspect that men have sometimes derived more spiritual sustenance from myths they did not believe than from the religion they professed. To be truly Christian we must both assent to the historical fact and also receive the myth (fact though it has become) with the same imaginative embrace which we accord to all myths. The one is hardly more necessary than the other.

We must not be ashamed of the mythical radiance resting on our theology. We must not be nervous about “parallels” and “pagan Christs”: they ought to be there. It would be a stumbling block if they weren’t. We must not, in false spirituality, withhold our imaginative welcome. If God chooses to be mythopoeic, shall we refuse to be mythopathic? For this is the marriage of heaven and earth: perfect myth and perfect fact: claiming not only our love and our obedience, but also our wonder and delight, addressed to the savage, the child, and the poet in each one of us no less than to the moralist, the scholar, and the philosopher.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes