Struggling with comparisons

Hi there, I’m a recent lurker and first time poster here on the forum, so I thought I’d provide a little background before my question:

I’m a 25 year old senior in college who has been a Christian since age 17. Since even before I was a Christian, I’ve always struggled with comparing myself to others. I was overweight from about age 8-17, and became very obese between age 17-18. I have now lost over 100 pounds and am in pretty good shape, but needless to say that in today’s body-focused society, comparison has always been something I’ve dealt with.

When it comes to my faith journey, I also struggle with comparison. I’m pretty critical of myself by nature, and although I try to be optimistic in general, I would say I’m pessimistic regarding myself. Essentially, I notice a lot of my shortcomings and don’t always take a lot of joy in the things God has helped me overcome, or the areas He’s helping me grow. So when I see a fellow Christian demonstrate such a high level of faith and love for God, or see how well someone does in a particular area that I might struggle in, I ask myself questions like, “Am I a lukewarm Christian because I don’t act like that guy?” I know that Christ paid for my sins, and He’s the only reason I am saved and forgiven, but I also know it’s important for us to show our faith through our deeds (true faith produces deeds from what I understand).

Just to give an example as to better demonstrate what I’m trying to articulate would be this:
I will be working a job in Accounts Payable for a Corporate Housing company starting soon. I know I can be a light wherever I work, but I feel like if I’m not constantly helping the poor or the marginalized, or evangelizing to the lost, or experiencing suffering, that I’m not doing what Jesus called us to do.

I apologize for the long post, but I hope my question came off clearly! I am looking forward to y’all’s responses!

8 Likes

Hello Ashton,

I applaud your ability to openly share your struggles with us here on connect. Congratulations on your accomplishments in overcoming the weight issues.
May I ask a question or two?
If you could please respond.
1 Do you agree that God is not a respecter of.
persons He treats us all the same?
2 That God is the final Judge?
3. Do you know who you are according to Christ?
You encourage me that His Spirit is alive and well in you as you want more of Him and less of you.
I see that in your post and I am sure others do as well.
Please check out this link and let me know?
[(https://www.gotquestions.org/who-in-Christ.html)]
Scripture embraces our own uniqueness as part of His body.
Look forward to your reply, be safe.
Mike

2 Likes

Hello and great question.

First, I think it is actually a very good thing to be concerned about showing your faith through deeds. To me, that is a mark that you are truly in Christ and something to celebrate; the carnal man has no reason to care whether his actions are pleasing to God!

Second, I can definitely relate to your struggles. I am by no means saying this is the case for you, but for me, I know such attitudes have their root in sinful attitudes of envy, pride, and self-focus. However, the underlying cause of these attitudes may be very different for you. As such, I would challenge to look deeper and try and find the root of these feelings.Consider questions such as the following:

• Is there anything in particular that triggers these feelings (for example, someone receiving recognition for a good work, a personal failure, etc)?

• Am I concerned with how man views my deeds, or only how God views them?

• How important is it that other’s recognize my good deeds (see Matthew 6:3) ?

• Do I rejoice when other’s succeed, flourish or have praise heaped on them, or are such events marred with feelings of envy and jealousy?

• Am I more concerned with actually doing good, or having a reputation for good works?

• How do I respond to praise or recognition?

The above are just some questions to reflect on. Again, I am by no means saying that sinful attitudes are at the root of your struggles,only only that such is the case in my life. Regardless, I think it would be beneficial to perform some self-introspection and see if you can find the underlying attitudes or events in your life that may have contributed to such feelings. I think once those are identified, it will be easier, to, with God’s help, overcome them.

Really hope none of this comes across as rude. Hope you get at least something beneficial from it. :smiley:

5 Likes

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the response!

1. I do agree that God treats us all the same
  2. I also agree that God is the final judge
  3. According to the Christ, I am a new creation and dearly loved by God.

I think I understand the direction you might be taking with your questions, and if I am correct, I would definitely agree that it’s important that we let God be the judge; not to judge ourselves according to man’s standards. I think I remember Paul saying something similar in one of his epistles about how he “doesn’t even judge himself” (had to look up the reference, but 1 Cor. 4). I also remember in Romans 7 another thing Paul said about how he wants to do what he should do, but can’t carry it out. I definitely can relate to that statement, as I really want to follow Christ and conform my character to His, but struggle carrying that out due to my sin nature.

3 Likes

Hi Kelly!

I really appreciate your response, and none of it came across as rude, so please don’t worry!

I would definitely agree that I can be a self-focused person in many ways, but I generally don’t feel envious of others for their achievements. I most certainly used to, but that is something God convicted me of and has changed in me. (I had a golf coach ask me why I wanted to be a pro, as I used to be pursuing pro golf, and my response was “So people will remember me as someone who did something great.” Well, he humbled me big time and said how selfish that was lol. He is a Christ-follower and I am thankful that he took my ego down a peg or two!)

In regards to other people seeing my deeds, I don’t feel the need for others to give me credit or see that I’ve done something good anymore, but it does concern me when I’m more focused on helping myself as opposed to helping others. I see non-believers that love people so much more than I do, and it’s highly convicting. It’s something my parents lovingly have told me about my character in the past, and even though God is still working on me, it is something I’m not overly strong in. It definitely takes effort and sometimes doing things I don’t want to do in order for me to be obedient.

2 Likes

Thanks for coming back to the table with that great responce.
It appears you have great insight and for future reference I look forward to you answers.
Back to topic, Paul was chronicling all of us when he said I would to do what I dont and dont do what I should, we are all prone to sin. The struggle with sin does when we die. Is that a good estimation?
Mike

Mike,

Thank you very much!

I would also agree that the struggle with sin continues until we physically die. I think it’s just frustrating that that’s the case! I realize I shouldn’t want to sin, and although there are many cases where I definitely don’t want to sin, I find myself still sinning. I believe this is an area of God’s grace that I haven’t quite grasped. It’s clear that I don’t deserve forgiveness, but He gives it anyway. And even though I continue to mess up even after He has given me His Spirit, He doesn’t take it away from me. It’s mind-boggling in all honesty, and I’m extremely thankful for that truth, I just wish I could wrap my head around it better, appreciate it more, and have a stronger desire to share that truth with others from a genuine heart.

1 Like

Hello again my friend, I am enjoying our conversation very much and as I shared I do understand. I have looked at and studied many perspectives of how God sees me and I see God. This link blew me away as to who we are which I had thought about but never capture the whole concept. Let’s just say as a start before you watch the video we are made of dust.
Hope you enjoy it?
Mike

[(https://youtu.be/D37UtbViKRw)]

1 Like

Hi Ashton and thank you for your question. I appreciate your honesty in being able to relay your own story in relation to your question :slightly_smiling_face:. I think most of us struggle with comparing ourselves to other people, which can sometimes be a good thing in being able to witness the trust and faith in God enacted in another believers life. Even the Apostle Paul said to the church in Corinth to be imitators of him:

1 Corinthians 4:15-16: For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel. I urge you, then, be imitators of me.

I don’t know many Christians who could say to other believers to be an imitator of them. But it shows a man who had grown in great maturity and unity in Christ. In Galatians 2:20 he even goes as far to say, “It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.” Part of the point I am trying to make is, is that viewing Christians who have a strong faith and a life of humble fellowship with our Lord, should spur us on to desire more of God in our lives. This is not because God views us as a lesser child of God then they are, or loves us any less. It is because only when we are given completely over to Christ do we actually find true freedom in Him. This means that it doesn’t matter if we are an accountant or plumber or teacher or Billy Graham, what matters is that we are His.

So I hope you don’t mind me asking a further question on this discussion thread, but how do you believe we are called to grow in unity and faith? What leads to greater faith and transformation?

3 Likes

Hi Brian!

Thank you for the reply!

The first thing that comes to mind when speaking of growing in unity and faith is being in community with other believers. In my case being a male, having other brothers there to hold me accountable and spur me on towards love and good deeds.

Regarding what leads to greater faith and transformation, I’d say from personal experience that the most growth I’ve had was from severe trials. In August-September of 2018, I experienced a serious crisis of faith and had some very troubling doubts and questions regarding my faith. It was so bad that it caused me to experience physical and emotional pain in the form of depression, anxiety and OCD (turns out my family has a gene mutation that makes us more prone to mental issues such as anxiety). I had to see a psychiatrist, who thankfully is also a believer, and he was able to not only talk with me in a caring manner about my doubts and questions, but also was able to get me on some medication to stop the mental spiraling and allow me to tackle my doubts and questions. It was an extremely hard season in my life, but I have no doubt that God taught me that trusting Him is so much more than having an answer to every scientific or philosophical question. Relationships are built on trust, so if I didn’t trust Him, the relationship would crumble.

Hi Mike,

I am enjoying our conversation as well!

I just watched the video, and I really enjoyed it! Definitely puts things into perspective regarding how small we are in comparison to how big and awesome God is! Pastor Louie is someone who I have listened to a fair bit and I really enjoy learning from him as well.

Hi Ashton,

I think a lot of us have gone through the struggle of comparing ourselves with others. (I also truly believe most sane people would feel the other person is better than them or better off.) That is why the apostle says in 2 Corinthians 10:12 “For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.” You, my friend, understand that it is unwise to compare yourself with others. That is a good thing! Like any other sin or weakness, it will not die by dwelling on it but rather by giving it constantly to the Lord. We reckon ourselves dead to sin (Romans 6:11). The trouble with us is we judge something as wrong and add it to the “to be disposed of pile” only to come back to it later to see whether we threw something away of value. We keep digging through our garbage when we need to just put it away. I don’t know if this would be helpful, but when I feel the spirit of jealousy or perfectionism come up, I recognize it, I confess it, and I move on, all the while knowing that when God loved me, it was not because I was perfect, it was not because I was worthy, and it was not because I would bring Him anything of worth. I am where I am by the grace of God. I will also go to be with Him one day by that same grace. So, when you see an unbeliever do something wonderful for someone else that you as a believer don’t even do, take note, but don’t fail to recognize that on a human level, believers are not any better than unbelievers (just like the Israelites were no better in themselves than other nations the Lord had not chosen). Recognize the need, pray for God to give you a love for others and move on. This is the process of sanctification God is taking each one of us through. Each of us has our own set of sins and weights that keep us from running the race well (Hebrews 12:1-3).

A Bible teacher from the 1800s once said, “the eye sees farther than the feet can go.” Do not allow the vision of great things to pull you down. Let it move you forward in the power of God.

The Lord bless you on this journey @ashtonbrewer94 . Keep looking up, and remember the prophet Amos was a lowly shepherd, no one in David’s family dreamed he’d be the chosen king and Ruth was a Moabite outside of God’s promises but was chosen to be in the geneology of Christ. God takes delight in using us lowly people. So let this encourage you. God is in the process of building you up, and He never fails at anything (Philippians 1:6).

4 Likes

@ashtonbrewer94 Man, I loved your question and how you did not hide anything but you came straight on. That’s how God wants us to be. He knows everything afterall. But for us to do that, we find answers. You are seeking God, I love that. You are recognizing where you would like to improve, and all you have to do is ask God to help you get there. For instance you said you are working in Accounts payable for corporate housing but you would like to rather work where you feel like you are giving more. First thing is always ask your motivation behind it, not to just check mark and say “Hey I did good, now I am a better Christian than the other dude.” If that is the reason, that is not the right motive. But if you truly are looking to do and be like Christ, then see slowly if you can change your job or go afterwork where you volunteer or something. God will line up the way for you so you can do it full time. Dont let the world bind you with how you have to live.

In terms of struggles with sin, we all have that, but as the Lord tells us, abide in me and I will abide in you. We are free from bondage of sin as new creations. We have the power to overcome any temptation through the help of God. Meditate and look for scriptures that directly link with the weakness you feel you have. Also, look for triggers in the outside world that tempt you to sin. For instance for myself, lust, I recognized that having facebook, instagram will easily make me lust because our media is full of small hints of suggestions that are not even obvious. But it triggers your subconcious and before you know it you are all over the wrong places. You are a child of God, make it happen. Yes you can! He is with you.

I hope this helps.
God Bless.

3 Likes

Hi Ashton

Thank you for your response to my further question. I really appreciate your honesty and humility in being able to describe some of the hard times you have gone through. I am so glad that you had people around you who you could trust and who supported you through that time. I am also thankful to hear of how even through those struggles you saw it as a time where your faith could grow through reliance on God :slightly_smiling_face:.

I very much agree with what @ALandis wrote about relying on the grace of God:

For me, to understand that creating more laws for myself to follow was not going to make me a better Christian or a more righteous Christian- in actual fact the opposite was more probable. It was learning to surrender through faith to the grace that God gives as a free gift. It is allowing God to have His way in me. But that faith grows with coming into a greater relational knowledge of God. The faith we have in a close friend or family member is different from the faith we have in a stranger. Faith strengthens through knowing God and in learning to surrender to Him.

In John 6, after Jesus has fed the 5000, the people were searching for Jesus because they found somebody who could now give them a free lunch:

John 6: 26-29: Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, you are seeking me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves. Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For on him God the Father has set his seal.” Then they said to him, “What must we do, to be doing the works of God?” Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.

It is worth reading this passage in its entirety, but the point from it for me was this- as people we always are looking for rules or laws or some sort of structure or instruction manual to follow that will give us all the answers to live the right life or get the things from God that we desire. Jesus plainly says that the work of God is this one thing- belief in Him!

Really encouraged by your personal story Ashton and am so glad to read of your hunger for wanting to serve God more. I hope we can continue to be of encouragement to one another :slightly_smiling_face:.

God bless

2 Likes

Dan,

I appreciate the reply! I 100% agree on recognizing triggers and staying away from them. I have been doing the exact same thing with facebook, instagram, etc on my phone. Not an issue on my computer, but being on the phone makes it tempting to start going down rabbit holes, so I just don’t have the apps.

Also, I did just want to clarify regarding my AP job. It’s actually my parents corporate housing company I’ll be working for, and I’m very grateful for the position and I actually hope to work in the housing industry indefinitely. I really enjoy the task of helping people find a home or building a home they love, so I think this will be a great first stepping stone to my future aspirations! I also believe that God can and will use my passion for this to serve Him in some way. The main thing that bothers me from time to time, is that even though I’m not actively thinking it, I know subconsciously that at times I feel like a “second class Christian” compared to other people who are either in ministry, missionaries, doctors, etc. I’m sure this is flawed thinking, but somehow I seem to have told myself that being in Accounts Payable isn’t as Godly as working as a missionary. I know this is untrue, as the pastor at my Church instills in us the mindset of “Be on mission where your feet are”, and I truly believe the God uses people in all professions to spread the Gospel.

Hi Brian,

Thanks again for the response! Those words that Jesus spoke in John 6:26-29 are very comforting for me, thank you! I appreciate the uplifting words and am looking forward to interacting more on the forums in the future!

Actually, I’m super thankful for everyone that has responded so far! Everyone has been incredibly kind, and it’s very refreshing to be able to discuss the Christian walk with other like-minded believers.

3 Likes

@ashtonbrewer94 our minds are powerful, our thoughts are crucial too. Thoughts supported by lies of the world will lead us the wrong path and thought supported by Truth leads to life free of torment.

Now let me say something from medical perspective, maybe you have heard of cognitive behavioral therapy. That’s a type of therapy where it tries to work on our thoughts. As humans whenever we see or encounter anything at all, as we interpret things, there are 13 common cognitive distortions we make every single minute of the day. It’s below. Zoom it if you cant see it or just google it saying 13 common cognitive distortion.

So it is cruicial you are aware of the cognitive distortion you could be making with every thought you have. The best thing to do whenever you feel a feeling is to first think what thought produced that feeling. Then ask if you have made any distortion or if that thought is actually based on facts or is actually a true statement with true premises. If true accept it, if false debunk it. Being a Christian, dont forget your biblical truth too.

For instance, does being a doctor actually mean that you are doing God’s work? Our vision of a doctor, which many times is family doctor or pediatrician but the field of medicine is hugeee. There are so mannnnyy specialties and people in it. We think all of them do it to help or it’s from passion. You’d be amazed in meeting many doctors and in listening to their motivation for becoming a doctor in close doors. Trust me I am one myself :wink: It is not who you work as but how you do your job and what motivates you to do the job. You can put a nice caring face but chew out the patient the moment you leave the room, or you are only worried about building your home basketball court at the end of the day. Not trying to judge; we are all fallen, but dont let that make you think you are a “second class Christian.” Afterall God does not compare you to anyone. Then why should you? Why shouldnt we treat ourselves with kindess and love Christ shows us?

I also encourage you to dig deeper and ask the questions behind every feeling and thought you have and deeper childhood experiences could have masked them. For instance, you mentioned being heavier before, as a child maybe you were made fun of or etc and subconsciously maybe you still want to be approved of and loved. I get it, we all do, but I want God’s approval wayyyyyy more than man’s approval. And that is already the past, God approved me wayyyy before. I’m free, you are free. People/communities will always have opinions, rules, but you and I are not bound by them.

This reminds me the verse below.

Blockquote Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Keep God first place and the truth he laid down for your life and mine. That will set you free.
God Bless.

3 Likes

Ashton, yes I agree on that perspective as well. Also that He loves me or you, a infitisamal speck in the cosmos. Out of all He created and as they used to advertise,
“THAT JUST TICKLES MY INNARDS”
Makes you so special to Him as well as I.
Mike

1 Like

Hello Ashton! I’ve been keeping up with these wonderful posts as they come and have been contemplating what you and the others have been discussing. I think your mental struggles are just what I have gone through myself. I have always been a perfectionist and whenever I realized I was having feelings of envy toward others that I saw as better than myself, I felt so ashamed. That was more common to me about 20 years ago than now, although I have seen that ugly thing rear its head a time or two in the recent past. I think it’s a part of growing and learning who we are and to be comfortable with that. I can tell you that at 43, I am much happier and content with who I am and my role as a Christian than I was in my 20’s! I have said more than once I wouldn’t go back to being that age if I had the choice. What growing pains! :smile:

One thing that has helped over the years has been to pray for wisdom. Wisdom comes slowly as does our sanctification, but I believe that the more we faithfully strive to learn and have experiences in life, the more quickly we grow, although it is still such a gradual process. Keep desiring to learn more. An inquisitive mind really helps! :slight_smile:

When you compare yourself to others, which may be very natural to those who desire to do good for our Lord in the years of their spiritual youth, as you continue to grow spiritually, even though others may seem to be doing more, know you are being productive where you are right now. Keep in mind too that the people you are comparing yourself to likely have stories to tell of their faults, imperfections, and how clumsy they felt when they first started working for the Lord. Often we see good works that people are doing but don’t realize the internal struggles they have as well. Maybe you could have a conversation with someone you look up to to let them know the feelings that have caused you guilt. They may just be able to relate!

In the meantime, strive to learn all that you can about God’s truths. Study your bible, listen to RZIM podcats and others, sermons from various pastors, and I highly recommend the RZIM Academy courses to help strengthen your faith. I have taken 2 1/2 so far and they have made a huge difference in my life. :smile:

Sin. That old thorn in our side. I understand your struggle! As I look back on my life though, I realize that as God has grown me in faith and love for others, the struggle with sin grows easier to conquer. It is hard as we go through that sanctification as we mature, but be encouraged to know that as you grow, sin’s grip on you will grow weaker and weaker. I don’t know that we ever get to a point that we aren’t tempted again, I highly doubt that, but it becomes easier, and it may just be because with stronger faith we are better able to deal with ourselves when we do sin. As we learn more about God’s love for us and how to love others we become less judging of ourselves maybe? If we are to love others as we love ourselves, then the more we love ourselves (in a healthy way) the more we will love others and feel less inclined to sin toward them I think.

I used to be so guilty of envy and comparing myself to others. In that struggle and as I realized how wrong it was, I started intentionally thanking God for the good works of others that I envied. I tried to have a more healthy perspective of them and their works and realize that I should be glad for them that they are able to do what they do, and for those that they bless. I would make myself say, “I am glad that you can be such a blessing to others. How happy you must make them!” One other way I would compare myself to others though even more was physically. Being a perfectionist I also strived to perfect my physical appearance and felt much envy for those that I felt had physical qualities that we’re better than mine, and I worked so hard to perfect my physical imperfections. I am sure my husband would say I succeeded, but I was always working on that tiny thing I saw as a flaw. It’s crazy I know. :crazy_face: But I have also over the years learned to be happy with myself and to focus more on my spiritual state which is eternal. But I still love to excessive and be strong and take care of myself. :blush:

Do you know what your talents are? We all have our faults as well as talents. God has given us all talents and it helps to recognize them and how they can be used. Some talents may seem less important, but I assure you your talent is special to certain people in certain situations in ways you may not know now. Our God is infinitely intricate and we can’t see how he uses our unique experiences, personalities, talents, mindsets, and lifestyles, for His purposes. God uses each of us as we are and where we are to touch people in ways that maybe those you compare yourself to may never be able to do. God uses each of us in distinct ways.

I have also struggled with the question of ministry. Many of us struggle with the idea that to be a more effective witness we should be in dedicated missions. I think that mindset is deceiving as God wants His glory to be shown in a natural way in our every day lives. I agree with your pastor, in that we are always in missions. They just have different labels and come in different forms. To be a witness and show love to the people we see everyday is to minister in the name of Christ and we will end up reaching people that no missionary or minister will ever have contact with. In the workplace and every day life we are blending in with the lost in such a unique way. They may not see it coming but we have the chance to show them the love of Christ like they have never seen before. They may receive Christ without having even looked for Him! What a privilege to be able to represent Christ in such an environment. God needs us to be His representatives in the military, politics, sports arena, the arts, schools, etc. Your desire to work with others is a great way to do good for them, bless them, and show them God’s love through your works. You will stand out among those in your line of work. And you will meet people that you can help on a very personal level. Of course, if you feel that call to missions and it persists, don’t ignore it but prayerfully consider the matter, and like it was said in a previous post, do think about your motivations. Being prayerful will help you to know where God wants you to be. I always wanted to be a missionary and adopt a ton of kids, but I have learned to be content in this role that I never imagined myself in as a pilot’s wife and mother to 13 children, none adopted. I hear there are people that are blessed to know my family, and that is a style of witnessing that I never imagined I’d be a part of! So I take what God has given me and go with it. This is my ministry. I pray that you will understand what yours is and find happiness in fulfilling your calling as a Christian! :heart:

4 Likes

Hello Ashton,

What a powerful testimony you already have in your weight loss. As a person who sees food as a temptation to sin by over eating I can truly appreciate your accomplishment. That takes a lot of discipline.

As to your question, I imagine that many Christians struggle in finding a balance with non Christian vocation and the fulfilling of our mission of justice, mercy and evangelism. Many of us probably think first of those who service in the church vocationally when we are attempt to quantify standards or set a gage for kingdom work. I don’t think that is helpful and otherwise It is such an ambiguous thing that we are attempting to wrap our minds around.

I recently read a theology book that wasn’t designed to answer this question but did help me think more clearly about none the less. In reflecting on the purpose of the law at Mt Sinai it came to me that we are supposed to be integrating God’s righteous ways into our everyday lives. Through wisdom, righteousness and justice being lived out and advocate for we shine a bright light in the worlds that we live in.

Deut 4:5-8

See, I have taught you decrees and laws as the Lord my God commanded me, so that you may follow them in the land you are entering to take possession of it. Observe them carefully, for this will show your wisdom and understanding to the nations, who will hear about all these decrees and say, “Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.” What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the Lord our God is near us whenever we pray to him? And what other nation is so great as to have such righteous decrees and laws as this body of laws I am setting before you today?

How do we do that you might still ask?

Deut 6:5-9

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

If I could simplify those two passages it would be to read and embed God’s word into our hearts. Also to live it out in our everyday lives. Not as a task to be completed but a way of life. By doing such natural opportunities as well as those we create will arise for us to share the message of God’s great love and grace through Christ. You will also be equipped to do such because the reading of God’s words prepares us with what to share.

As to your anxieties, if they are normal I’d recommend reading and meditating on the wisdom literature such as Proverbs, Psalms and Ecclesiastes. They offer so much wisdom on everyday life and have certainly had a calming effect on my own life. I think in part at least that is what they were designed for.

Now there is also the potential that anxiety could be more than normal worry. Sometimes it can be medical issue. My family has been impacted by the medical kind so I know very intimately the difference. So keep in mind if it does not subside with meditation on God’s word that you may need to seek medical attention.

2 Likes