Stuck on Stage 3

(Sally Alexander) #1

@CarsonWeitnauer Thanks so much for the guide. It is VERY helpful. However, I am stuck on Stage 3. Not being a 10 year old, who knows these things, and having been raised on DOS, Unix and Linux command lines (and being absolutely baffled by MAC and Windows initially), I was able to figure out how to click on “join an interest group”, and click a couple buttons to join. However, when I click on the name of the interest group, I get a list of members, and see no way to view the messages within the group, and no + sign to add a new question/topic.

When I see a + sign to add a topic (I get to it by clicking on a blue link at the bottom of the page - is there another way to get there?), I do not see a group name listed as an option in the pull down list in the leftmost field near the top of the page.

1. Where are these group discussions and how does one join them?

2. What is the difference between a group and a category? How do they relate to each other?

3. It seems one chooses a category when adding a topic. How does one participate in a group?

4. I was looking at the badges, where is the user’s manual mentioned in the Certified Badge, and the Advanced one mentioned in the Licensed Badge? Perhaps these would answer my questions.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like
The New Member Journey
(Brian Weeks) #2

Hi Sally! It’s good to see you here. I remember DOS too. And believe it or not, I actually enjoyed DOS. Thanks for your follow up questions on how to join a group and start a discussion. I’m glad to help here.

Regarding joining a group, do you see a box underneath the title and description of each group that reads “Join” with an icon of a person and a plus sign in it? I’ve attached a screenshot of what it should look like here.

Is this what you’re seeing when you go to the groups page? Are you able to see the join buttons?

1. As far as what a group is, it’s a group of Connect members who, whenever anything related to that group’s stated common interest is posted, the members of that group receive a notification. Does that make sense?

2. Good question. A category is simply another term for subforum. Just like how in the Academy we have an “Introductions Forum,” a “Discussion Forum,” and an “Assignments Forum,” Connect has subforums that are dedicated to a particular subject, such as “Daily Evangelism” and “Bible Questions.” The difference between a category and a group is a category is open to all without the need to join. However, a group must be joined in order to receive notifications about forum activity related to that group.

With respect to your earlier question on how to get to each category’s page, you can click on the links at the bottom of the page or you can click the menu button (three horizontal lines) in the upper right corner of the screen and it will display all of the categories.

1. You can participate in a group by joining one and noting to the group-related notifications you receive.

2. Those are mainly for Connect moderators or others who help out with the site, so these designations can simply be ignored.

Does this help answer your questions, Sally? How else can I help?

3 Likes
(Sally Alexander) #4

@Brian_Weeks Hi Brian!
Thanks for the screen pic - I have been able to join a couple groups, but they don’t seem to be “subforums”, I can’t find discussion threads. -

1. Yes that helps to know it is a subforum - I prefer the old forum style where it was listed like a spreadsheet and you could browse all the threads to see what interested you. I like to see what my options are. This feels like “flying blind” and I don’t know how to read the instrument panel yet!

Thanks! Those are the things the 10 year olds (and others) know that passed me by!

1 & 3 Does that mean we need to use a # or something to declare that our post is related to our group? Still don’t get how to participate.

1. Too bad we can’t access the user manuals.

Yes, it does help to know about Categories and how to get to them, THANKS!! but still confused on how to participate in groups.

PS. (Goodness - looking at the times, it took me a full 18 min to type this!! )

1 Like
The New Member Journey
(Joshua Spare) #5

Hey @Sal! Let me see if I can offer a bit of clarification - the groups, rather than being like a FB group, where you join and at that point can join in the group’s conversations, are more of a function to enable notifying the group when a conversation pertains to that group’s affinity. So, the categories, such as #daily-evangelism or #bible-questions serve as the table for the various discussions, each discussion is a “topic”. When there is a topic that pertains to a group, you will see that you can tag them with an @ mention, which notifies everyone who has joined the group that a particular topic might be of interest to them. Here are a few topics where some groups have been tagged:

Also, here is a further primer/tutorial on the affinity group, which will hopefully clarify things a bit!

I hope this makes things a little bit more straightforward, but do let us know if there is any way that we can be of more help!

5 Likes
(Sally Alexander) #6

Think I have it now, thanks so much, @Brian_Weeks and Joshua @jspare

5 Likes