Stumbling Block for potential believers

(Kirk) #1

The other night, a friend and I were sharing the Gospel with two other mutual friends. They both revealed that the words spoken by Jesus just prior to his death (“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me”?) is troubling for them. Those words have lead them to believe that Jesus was not truly “tuned-in” to the Father, and that perhaps he was not who He claimed to be. In other words, to them it appeared that Jesus was questioning the entire ordeal, that perhaps he was wrong about it after all. Unfortunately, the discussion was interrupted prior to bringing it to a close. After thinking much about it the next day, I mentally constructed my response for the next opportunity that will most certainly come up in the future. It would go something like this…

These words are recorded in the gospel of Matthew and Mark. In Luke, Jesus commits to the Father his spirit, and in John, his last words are “It is finished”. In Matthew and Mark, Jesus is quoting scripture (Psalm 22:1), and was merely an expression of how it felt to be momentarily separated from his Father as he took on the sins of the world.

I am looking for Godly wisdom that perhaps may go beyond the truths of the above explanation that would help our two friends eliminate the words in Matthew and Mark as obstacles for them to fully except Jesus as Lord and Savior.

6 Likes
(SeanO) #2

@km6264 When Jesus quoted Psalms 22 He was not expressing defeat, but victory. Not only does Psalms 22 end with God hearing the cry for help of the afflicted one, but also with all the peoples of the earth declaring God’s praises. In addition, Psalms 22, 23, and 24 form a trilogy Christ on the Cross, Christ the Shepherd and Christ in glory. Jesus was not crying out because He felt abandoned. Rather, He was declaring that in spite of the fact that He was suffering and appeared defeated, He was confident God would deliver Him and He would reign victorious.

Psalms 22:24 - For he has not despised or scorned
the suffering of the afflicted one;
he has not hidden his face from him
but has listened to his cry for help.

Psalms 22:27-28 - All the ends of the earth
will remember and turn to the Lord,
and all the families of the nations
will bow down before him,
for dominion belongs to the Lord
and he rules over the nations.

Psalms 22; 23; and 24 form a trilogy on Christ the Shepherd. In 22, the Good Shepherd dies for the sheep (John 10:1-18); in 23, the Great Shepherd lives for the sheep and cares for them (Heb. 13:20-21); and in 24, the Chief Shepherd returns in glory to reward His sheep for their service (1 Peter 5:4). Aijeleth Shahar (or Hash-shahar ) is interpreted to mean “the doe (or hind) of the morning” or “help at daybreak.” It may have been the name of the tune to which this psalm was sung.

https://www.biblegateway.com/resources/wiersbe-be-bible-study/psalm-22

5 Likes
(Kirk) #3

Thank you Sean. I am processing your response, and reading the mentioned Journal article. I’ll see where it leads me.

Blessings.

Kirk

1 Like