Sufferings of Christ

(Junior Chacko.V ) #1

Psalms 22 is generally considered as the prophetical psalm which foretells the pain and agony Jesus had to go through on the cross. Has any historians recorded this incident in its real nature?

(SeanO) #2

@Junior It appears that the exact historical situation is difficult to ascertain. It may have been when David was fleeing from Saul or Absalom, or it may have been another time in his life. Either way, David spoke prophetically of Christ as he spoke of his sufferings and ultimately the faithfulness of God.

The attempt to locate Psalm 22 in its historical
context is difficult at best. Delitzsch suggests a possible but not exhaustive
background in Saul’s persecution of David in the Desert of Maon (1 Sam 23:
25–26).5 One might just as plausibly suggest the earlier days when David
was alone and suffering incessantly at the hands of Saul (e.g. 1 Sam 20;
21:1–15) or the time of his flight from Absalom (2 Sam 15–17) or his observations
in later years born of disillusion.6 - Richard Patterson

Despite his feelings of being forsaken by God and man, David
drew encouragement from God’s past record of faithfulness. And despite
his terrible sufferings at the hands of his enemies, he kept
praying, and he ultimately found that God had heard his cries for
help.

(Junior Chacko.V ) #3

Thanks Sean, I got your point, we have other old testament verses like Isaiah 52:14 which foretells the suffering of Christ. The verse says his appearance was marred beyond recognition.
Just wanted to understand if there are any historical writings to prove this point as per the prohecies in the Bible.

(Jimmy Sellers) #4

Are you asking if there is any record of Jesus suffering recorded outside of the Bible? When you say “in its real nature” do you mean a non-biblical detailed account of Jesus’ crucifixion?

(SeanO) #5

@Junior My main point was that we cannot be sure of exactly what historical situation David was facing when he wrote the Psalm, but I do believe that Psalms 22 is a Messianic Psalm. If you want to read evidence about how the Old Testament passages, like Psalms 22 and Isaiah 53, are Messianic, check out this book by Michael Rydelnik.

There are historical writings outside of Scripture that attest to the fact that Jesus was crucified. Is that what you are referring to? This article lists some of the ancient writers who testify to Jesus’ life, death and resurrection.

Roman historian Tacitus wrote: Nero fastened the guilt … on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of … Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome…

(Junior Chacko.V ) #6

Yes sir, I mean the writings outside bible which describes the crucifixion of Christ.

(Jimmy Sellers) #7

If you are looking for a more detailed account/description of the actual account of Jesus’ crucifixion you will not find one more detailed than the Bible.
I think if you are looking for confirmation about Jesus’ life outside the Bible @SeanO has given you a good starting point. I would add this book as a good resource.

As a contrast to the crucifixion of Jesus I thought if would be interesting for you to consider the rule of Alexander Jannaeus a Hasmonean king of Judea who ruled from 103 BCE to 76 BCE.

He was the most notorious of the Hasmonean rulers in his treatment of his own country—in response to a Jewish uprising during the Feast of Booths, his auxiliary slew over 6,000 rebels (Jewish War 1.88–89). When the opposition was finally defeated, Alexander ordered 800 rebels to be crucified in the midst of the city, with their families slain before their eyes. Josephus adds that Alexander looked on as he drank and lay with his concubines (Jewish War 1.98). He eventually died of natural causes while on a military campaign (Jewish War 1.106).Ramos, A. (2016). Hasmonean Dynasty. In J. D. Barry, D. Bomar, D. R. Brown, R. Klippenstein, D. Mangum, C. Sinclair Wolcott, … W. Widder (Eds.), The Lexham Bible Dictionary. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.

The 800 men that were crucified were part of a revolt against Alexander. The Pharisees lead this revolt likely were those that were crucified and whose families were killed before their very eyes as the hung in agony on the crosses all the while Alexander Jannaeus is watching all this as an entertainment exhibition banqueting with his concubines.

Not many people know about this historical account of a Jew crucifying Jews! But the crucifixion of Jesus is known and debated to this day.

I offer this as food for thought.