Sunday

Dear all,

Is Sunday the first or the last day of the week from a Biblical perspective?

2 Likes

Thanks, @Ame, certainly an interesting question. This is just my understanding of the question. Certainly welcome the opportunity to hear from others for further discussion.

Sunday is regarded as the first day of the week according to Hebrew and Christian calendars because God rested on the seventh day after the Creation. The Israelites observe the Sabbath on Saturdays. However, Christians observe Sunday as a day of worship and rest calling it the Lord’s day because of the crucifixion of our Lord Jesus Christ. It happened on a Friday. And, on the third day He rose from the dead which is a Sunday. That’s why Christians celebrated Sunday. However, that does not change the calendar. Sunday is still the first day of the week.

I have however seen many of the other calendars used Monday as the first day of the week. Perhaps that is because Monday is the first day of the work week. It would be interesting if someone can provide more insight into this topic.

4 Likes

@Ame Hi Amy, based on numerous verses, including Mark 16:2, it seems that Sunday would be considered the first day of the week. The women had to wait through the sabbath to anoint the Lord’s body, and very early on Sunday morning, they went to the tomb.

4 Likes

Good comments - I’d also add that Leviticus 23:9-14 describes the Jewish Feast of Firstfruits as always landing on a Sunday (verse 11). As such, it’s the day we celebrate Christ being the firstfruits of the resurrection (I Corinthians 15:20 and I Corinthians 15:23), as well as when we give the first fruits of our labor to God by serving the body of Christ in the Church.

A side comment about calendars listing Monday as the first day of the week - I never buy those calendars. I view them as a secularist attempt to redefine the biblical view of the week. In the same way, I never use BCE for BC (dates before Christ) or CE for AD (dates after Christ). CE stands for Common Era, and is again a secularist redesignation to deny Whose life it was that changed all the world’s history.

Pet peeve? Well, perhaps - but one could do worse.

6 Likes

Thanks, James, always enjoy your input. You are totally right, those calendars I saw with Monday as the first day of the week are in other languages. So, definitely come with other cultural influence.
Great point, @ALandis, thanks.

4 Likes