Supernatural Apologetics?

daily_evangelism
ask_rzim
prayer_requests

(Devon ) #1

Hi All!

I Have Had this on my Mind for awhile now lately, and I wanted to ask for some Prayers and Avice on this matter.

I personally have had a struggle with Bridging the Gap between Belief in the Natural to Belief in The Supernatural. This lead me to seek out Evidence and proof for the Supernatural. And I found it, lots of it really, from even Scientific Sources, and it was good sound Evidence/proofs.

The Issue is that Although Christian And Apologetics sources to occasionally tlk about Supernatural things, and Evidence for the Supernatural. It seems to be very rare and sparingly. I knpw that this is often an issue that Atheists and even some Theists have, with Skeptisism And Doubts. And I just feel and believe that it would be a very important focus in The Apologerics Community.

I Am not sure if God is Leading me to do this or not, like I said it has been on my mind and heart for awhile now.

My Thoughts on this are to do something where you present evidence and proofs for the Supernatural in a safe and Christian And God Honoring Way. And The Super Natural Being Angels, Demons, The AfterLife, The Eternal Soul, NDE’S, Miracles, Etc.

Any Advice Or Thoughts would be greatly Appreciated, also of you know of anyone who does this sort of thing that would be greatly Appreciated too!

Also Prayers for this.

Thank You And God Bless!
Devon

(Jimmy Sellers) #2

Let me recommend a book that will help you in your study.

I don’t think that this book will prove the supernatural from a scientific point of view and I am not sure that this is possible but I can attest to the fact the book will shed light on what the text had to say to its audience.

(LaTricia J.) #3

@Devon, can you please share what concrete scientific research you found on proof of the supernatural? And can you also please share why you believe there should be an apologetic for supernatural beings, an afterlife, the soul, near death experiences and so on? Also, what do you understand about the purpose of Christian apologetics and the purpose of Christian apologetics?

Thank you!

(Lakshmi Mehta) #4

@Dev, thanks for bringing this question up. A couple arguments that I have seen in defense of supernatural apologetics are -
1. Provide evidence of the supernatural realm to a naturalist and consider theism.
In my own conversations with naturalists about God, I have found myself asking, “Have you never encountered anything subliminal or extraordinary defying the natural?” If they say `No’, any ‘verified supernatural apologetics’ work would be good proof. Come to think of it, the first evidence that drew people to Christ was credible witnesses about Jesus’s supernatural resurrection. That’s supernatural apologetics!

2. Provide defense for God’s interventions in our life today providing hope to the believer.
I had an experience of God speaking specifically through the Bible that matched the details of a family crisis I was going through, which gave me incredible faith and peace. This happened within the first year after my conversion from Hinduism to Christianity. Natural explanations initiated my journey to salvation in Jesus, but the miraculous gave me strength to stand for Christ in a Hindu family, and provided proof that He is a living God.

Here’s a little clip by Mike Licona for the first argument.

I have heard Gary Habermas also talk about some 100 confirmed cases of NDE’s in an interview. He has a book on exploring the evidence for immortality with JP Moreland.

And finally, Lee Strobel, has a book on building a case for miracles.

I have read other resources by these well recognized authors but not these specific books and hope to read these sometime. When it comes to sifting through supernatural evidences, my filter is always alignment with the Word of God. We must be cautious in our approach.

I look forward to any sources you have come across. As reminded by a brother on Connect in a previous conversation, I think there is nothing to be ashamed of defending a supernatural God if that’s how He chooses to reveal Himself.

(C Rhodes) #5

Hi @Devon. I can’t speak to the need to establish supernatural apologetics, but I get your point that it seems overlooked at times. Personally, I think that happens because it is easy to assume what we experience rest in two different realms of reasoning and understanding.

I was trying to recall which one of the RZIM speakers spoke about understanding what is supernatural and what is natural. I think it was Vince Vitale. He pointed out that what we consider supernatural is just GOD orchestrating His will. Not only can GOD suspend what we consider laws of nature, but also order said laws to fall in line with His plan. Which is why the miraculous birth of Christ walked forth without benefit of the reproductive act, but also saw the nine month gestation period adjust and accept His inception as a completely natural occurrence. What we consider supernatural is just GOD speak. If GOD commands it, everything and everyone obeys.

I find when I view my world from this perspective, it is simply breath-taking to behold the hand of GOD. Whosoever concluded that GOD was distant from the worlds He created; probably does not fully understand what is visible every day.

GOD is continually customizing my existence. My living is wonderous and amazing every time I pay attention to what GOD is doing, saying, and molding in my life. My only struggle comes when I consider social definitions of good, horrible, rich, poor and etc. When I find those definitions in GOD, not necessarily in church, but in GOD. I see ‘hundredfold’ in this life! I get what the Psalmist means when he says;

“Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word in my tongue, *but *, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether. Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.
Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence. If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou *art there *.
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.” Psalm 139:2-10 KJV.

That feels a lot like naturally living supernaturally.

(Nemanja) #6

@Dev

I’ve been thinking about this too lately and what I find most compelling are the archeological discoveries of Ron Wyatt (Red Sea Crossing, Mt Sinai, Sodom and Gomorrah) that show us how God interfered with the history. You can check out his stories about the Arc of the Covenant and Blood of Christ too.

Also, you can watch Gary Habermas who is doing the research on near-death experiences, and see Steven Bancarz also, he has been a member of the New Age movement and had some experiences too.

Hope this helps

(Devon ) #7

Hi,

O Am familiar with Steve Bancarz, And I wasn’t aware that Gary Habermas had done such studies. Thank you!

(Devon ) #8

Hi!

Yes, this is the sort of Content and material that I was referring to. I have heard of Lee Strobel’s Book, but I have not read it. And Gary Habermas’s Book I have not heard of till you shared it, so that will be another one that I should look into.

Thank you so much!

(Devon ) #9

Hi All,

Thank you all for the Resourses, I really Appreciate it, This is the evidence and content that I was talking about. I do think that these things should be talked about more, simply because there are questions and answers to these topics. But I think it should be done in a safe Christian way.

I found evieldence and studies recently from Secular Sources like Psychology Today. And though it was interesting, again it was a secular view point. I also have heard many Stories and Evidences from those who Practice or are in the New Age, again it shows That the Supernatural is real but it’s not always Safe or God Honoring.

Always Learning something new everyday!

Thank you all again so much! God Bless!

(Andrea L) #10

@Dev, for me one of the most challenging learning was to accept that people make their own decisions. Any hard I try it’s still them who makes their choice. I cannot and shouldn’t force my opinion on them. What I can do is to share with them my knowledge, experience, concerns, provide a picture of the options they have (based on what I can see, therefore there might be others available as well), point out discrepancies is their view, logic, previous choices and I must leave it there. Their life, their choice. And all along trying to represent them as much as a human I can God’s unconditional love and pray to God that would touch their heart. Faith is a gift from God: “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.” (Ephesians 2:8-9)
Personal story : I had been struggling for about two years to make my husband to come to church with me. And one Sunday on the service I crashed, it was too heavy, I couldn’t carry it any more. One of my friends prayed for me and felt the burden flying off, she said it’s not my job it’s God’s. My husband came the very next Sunday and coming every week, no question since. I was trying to solve it my way. So God couldn’t work on him because I didn’t let Him. I was standing between my husband and God. The moment I stepped away He got access and made it right. There’s a song that came to my mind : The battle belongs to the Lord
I hope it eases your burden a bit.
Blessings,

Advice on witnessing to a close minded Muslim