Taking this home

How do you approach sharing apologetics, and now what you’ve learned from the conference, with your church family? Some churches seem to almost have this built into their culture, and others rarely ask questions.

3 Likes

Hey @Brittany_Bowman1,

This is a crucial question, and one that’s near to my own heart. After I finished the Emerging Apologist Program in 2019, I was wondering the same thing. This seemed an area of ministry opportunity in the local church, but how to bring it back was the challenge.

I found an e-book called How to Get Apologetics In Your Church to be very helpful. From there, I met one-on-one with one of our pastors and elders to share my experiences at the RZIM program over coffee and ask their input on whether they saw a need in our church or an opportunity for ministry with apologetics. They did. That opened the conversation to allow us to explore together how to get things started. From there, we decided to do an all-church survey to members and attendees to find out what were the apologetic questions that people had or faced in their own lives. And based on those responses, we distilled them down to eight categories and developed a Bible study around them which we piloted last summer. It was a big hit and whet the appetite for apologetics in our church family.

The website Apologetics315 has some really great resources on this that might help—I’d check them out as a starting point.

Hope that helps: you’re embarking on an important ministry opportunity to bring this back to your local church.

4 Likes

@Brittany_Bowman1, such a great question and @gabudjr, I love that perspective bro!! Really practical advice.

One thing I’m always reminded of when I talk to pastors is how overwhelming their job can be. How can a healthy church possibly balance the hundreds of different goals and dreams of its entire congregation?

That’s why I’m convinced that grassroots opportunities exactly like @gabudjr’s are a win win for pastors (lead a community group, Bible study, Sunday school class, evangelism trip, etc.). Sometimes a church has a hidden passion for apologetics that only comes to the surface when enough people take initiative to realize it!

3 Likes

Fantastic question Brittany! Churches are one of the places where apologetics is often most needed, and also ignored.

My father, Mark Mittelberg, has written and spoken about how churches can begin to integrate apologetics and evangelism into their culture. One key is to realize that each church needs an evangelistic point person who is advocating for apologetics training and outreach opportunities. Here’s one of his most recent talks on this strategy:

3 Likes