Talking with a Jehovah Witness

(Timothy Loraditch) #1

I work with several Jehovah Witnesses and generally avoid biblical discussions because they just go in circles. A discussion started today about politics and one JW asked me if I ever read 2 Timothy 3:1-5. I said yes but not recently, so he asked me to read it and we could talk about what it means.

I am not familiar with their version of the bible or their interpretation of these scriptures. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

2 Timothy 3:1-5 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!

(Steve Kell) #2

I’ve always enjoyed talking to JWs. They have challenged my thinking in a good way as to the Trinity. It has led me to believe exactly what the Bible says. I’d say the same for this verse you quoted. Doesn’t this describe most of humanity in all of history, depending on how graciously you look at it?

I’ll be curious why your friend brought that up at the time he has, and what discussion he wants to start. Interesting

(Timothy Loraditch) #3

@skell God has gifted your with patience beyond my ability. Normally I take the same approach with people who see things differently than I, but I struggle with the circling conversations that go no where.

We were discussing the present political news, the wall, gun control and partisan politics. This verse does describe most of humanity as you say. Historians are already comparing Trump and Andrew Jackson with amazing parallels. I don’t know why he brought it up or where he is going.

Note: this particular guy is not well like by even the other JW’s

(LaTricia J.) #4

@tfloraditch you can accept the invitation to listen more than anything else. It can be an opportunity to see where his head is at and possibly why the other JWs don’t particularly care for him. You won’t know where he is going with it all if you don’t have a conversation. One thing I’ve learned to do is to ask many questions in order to better uncover the motivation. In other words, I go on the offensive rather than the defensive. Usually, they aren’t expecting an offensive approach because people are usually in the headspace of defending the perceived ‘attack’. No point in going in circles. Pull out resources, ask questions, make comparisons.

And is usually the case, JWs are highly aware of the bible they’ve learned, far more than the rest of us, so they end up being better prepared for discussions (that usually lead to a debate or someone walking away) than the people they actually approach.

Hopefully this will help prepare you for future interactions. You can see in their NWT the differences that they go by, like for instance why they don’t believe in a Triune God. There are some areas that are the same. In this case, you will have to talk to your coworker in order to see what he’s getting at with all of this. In my mind, it’s self explanatory, but maybe he wants to discuss the end days that so many JWs have been waiting for and or predicting for such a long time.

(LaTricia J.) #5

Also, these other threads may be of help for you: