Talwhid

How do I articulate the problems of Talwhid to muslims I encounter online. Especially the problem of Allah’s strick monadic nature and his inability to truely love because of it.

1 Like

Hey Ron! Do you mean Tawhid? Like in Tawhid vs Trinity? There’s an online debate between Nabeel Qureshi and Ally Shabir with that title actually. I think that an argument of how Allah reconciliates His mercy with His judgement is a one that let’s you go far with the discussion and brings about the uniqueness of the cross in Christianity. Also, about how we can only say that God is love because He is Triune, refer to Mere Christianity by C.S Lewis, here’s a quote from the good infection chapter:
All sorts of people are fond of repeating the Christian statement that ‘God is love’. But they seem not to notice that the words ‘God is love’ have no real meaning unless God contains at least two Persons. Love is something that one person has for another person. If God was a single person, then before the world was made, He was not love. Of course, what these people mean when they say that God is love is often something quite different: they really mean that ‘Love is God’… (Christians)believe that the living, dynamic activity of love has been going on in God forever…in Christianity God is not a static thing - not even a person - but a dynamic, pulsating activity, a life, almost a kind of drama
There’s a book about the Trinity : Father, Son and Holy Spirit l, relationships, roles and relevance by Bruce A. Ware. It’s quite simple and sophisticated as well. If you want something more advanced you can check out Thomas Aquinas Summa Theologica part about the nature of the trinity. It made my head spin but it’s worth it.
Since you are intrested in that field, David Wood’s youtube channel Acts17apologetics is filled with apologetics of that sort.

• If you want to have a more philosophical take on this, you can argue the idea of Morality as well. Morality, as well as Love, is a relational quality. Meaning that a moral being can only be called so if he is to practice that morality towards another person. We assume that God is a moral being before Man was created. Then how is that possible outside the possiblity of the existense of relations in the Godhead? Then God needed humans to be capable of morality!
    How do you normally respond @Ron_Felix?
2 Likes