Teaching the Big Bang

Good morning,

I am a 6th - 8th science teacher in a small college preparatory private school in East Texas. A part of my standards is teaching the formation of the universe.

I am allowed the teach the Christian perspective if I teach the “academic” alongside it. I have not studied this in a long time, and I find so many contradicting viewpoints.

In Christian science, what are the main beliefs for the formation of the universe, and how do they align with God’s word? Does the Big Bang fit with the Genesis account (this is where I have seen arguments over)?

Blessings,
LeAnne Gross

2 Likes

Hello @LeAnne_Gross

Great questions!
To be honest, this is outside of my expertise, but don’t worry I won’t leave you in mid-air. I would recommend these resources to you, these are both in Christian perspective and academic/philosophical viewpoint.

1.) The Case for a Creator by Lee Strobel
• Chapter 5: The Evidence of Cosmology; Beginning with the Big Bang

2.) On Guard by William Lane Craig
• Chapter 4: Why did the universe begin?
• Chapter 5: Why is the universe fine-tuned for life?

3.) I Don’t Have Faith To Be An Atheist by Norman Geisler & Frank Turek
• Chapter 3: In the beginning there was a great surge
• Chapter 4: Divine Design

4.) Stealing from God by Frank Turek
• Chapter 6: Science

5.) God’s Crime Scene by J. Warner Wallace
*the entire book dedicated to discuss Christianity and the origin of the universe

To be more convenient, here are some websites:

Mostly, check out John Lennox and William Lane Craig in the internet. They both explain Christianity in science that is understandable. I think it would help you to easily translate the lesson to your students.

I hope these help!

5 Likes

Thank you!!!

1 Like

Hello, if I may, I wanted to add something you may find of value. I was very thankful for my college professor who taught Psychology. All throughout the course, I noticed she was often very careful with her wording. The textbook of course presented everything as fact, from the mainstream perspective that our minds are, to simplify it, evolved and animalistic in nature. The Psychology textbook didn’t line up even with the most liberal interpretations of the Word of God. In her commentary, she would always add the lines like “this is the popular opinion…”, “many believe…”, “one view is x, while there are many other views…” to what the textbook always presented as cold, hard fact. It wasn’t a shock at all once the course was finished, she thanked all of us for being her students and e-mailed us her personal views - our minds aren’t just glorified primordial soup that evolved from brute beasts, but we were created in the image of a divine God, possessing the potential, creativity, love, wisdom, etc. that He grants us to have and explore.
Her being able to teach the course in a way that didn’t betray her own faith, or try to weaken the faith of any other believers made me respect her quite a lot. Perhaps you’re in the same boat, if you believe the Word of God’s account of creation, “God said…and there was”, maybe you can do the same for your students (albeit very prudently)

And back to the main point of your question, I’m pretty sure the main belief is the literal interpretation of Genesis. (as opposed to symbolic, poetic, etc. interpretations which are common and growing, but don’t surpass the literal view as far as I know) I realize if you try to teach this boxed entirely into what is viewed as science, it could be difficult to explain “God said” bound to physical laws. Some might laugh at the idea sure, but there will be some (like me) who DO believe it, through the eyes of faith. Since He created space, time, and matter, He of course is their Master - that actually isn’t that hard to believe

1 Like