Tears in Heaven, question from Zarley in Scotland

Hi,How can there be no tears in Heaven,when it says in Revelation,God will wipe away our tears,while we are there in Heaven?

3 Likes

Hey @zarley.mcalpine!

Welcome to the RZIM Community! May you find some great insight and encouragement on this forum.

This is a good question and one that may have some great conversational responses if it is put on #bible-questions :+1: Would love to see you there!

Thank you for jumping in and interacting! Looking forward to further conversations❤️

1 Like

Hi. Zarley, I have never met anyone with your unique name. So glad to have you share with us and grow in your knowledge and understanding of His word. Could you give a scripture reference for your question when you repost it for clarification. I simply look at that as tears are common here on earth but wont be once we encounter Jesus face to face. Look forward to further discussion.

Mike

1 Like

Hi Zarley, I was just contemplating this very question the other day. In this verse it says He will wipe every tear from their eyes and then it says there will be no more crying.

“He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.””
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭21:4‬ ‭ESV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/59/rev.21.4.esv

My take on this is that the tears that will be wiped away is not because there will be crying in heaven but maybe it is symbolic of comforting those who have cried in the past and will be comforted when in the presence of God, much like a parent wipes the tear from a child’s face when he has been crying but is not crying anymore and is being comforted. When my little one has finished crying and is finally smiling I can’t stand to see the tear that is a still there and a remembrance of his sadness so I wipe it off to erase all signs of his previous pain. This was a very good question! Does this help with your understanding at all?

2 Likes

Hello And God Bless You Zarley,
The actual verse is even more specific in that it speaks of a " new heaven "
Not the domain referred to in all previous scripture as , heaven .

" And I saw a New Heaven.."  ( Revelation 21:1)

I believe that the tears spoken of occur at the moment this " new heaven " is established and in direct connection to it .
We know from Jesus’s own word that even after death we remain conscious of the fact that not only do we have loved ones still living on earth, but that we continue to have concern for their future fate : .

" For I have five brethren, that he may testify unto them , lest they 
                also come into this place of torment .
                            ( Luke 16:28 )

While there is no indication that we are conscious of the circumstances on earth after we come into the Lord’s presence, there is every reason to believe that at the moment this " New Heaven " is established we will then be aware that either our loved ones are in Christ & are with us , or they are lost forever .
Just my opinion , but if there is anything that would cause me to weep in the presence of God it would be this realization .
And it seems this is the moment that along with our tears God will somehow remove the thoughts of our lost loved ones from our consciousness forever .
I believe this will be the only instance of anyone ever shedding tears in the presence of the Risen Lord.

1 Like