Technology concerns

Recently I’ve become aware of some troubling things being done with technology. For example; cutting and splicing DNA from one animal to another, modifying animals with this technology, and now starting to do the same with humans. I even saw where human body parts are being grown in pigs, which they plan to use instead of donor organs! I have also heard that genetic manipulation was being done in Noah’s day and that is why God destroyed all mankind, except Noah and his family, with the flood. I don’t know if that generation was capable of that, but certainly ours is. What do you know of this atrocity? Was Noah’s generation even capable of this or something like it? God will certainly judge because we are interfering where we have no business and are playing god with His creation and His people. T

2 Likes

Hi, @LvrofGod :wave:

I don’t know much about DNA manipulation and how advanced are we know in this technology aside from some articles that claim that “designer babies” are now possible technologically but may not be acceptable ethically. But regarding,

Gen.6:4
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

The giants, (transliterated as Nephilims in ASV), referred to here are inferred to be those born from the union of the “sons of God” with the “daughters of man”. These Nephilims became the celebrities of ancient myths including the various gods and goddesses of eastern and near-eastern religions immortalized by traditions and ancient literature (e.g. Mythology and the Gita)

These “sons of God” are believed to be the rebel angels who attempted to corrupt the “seed of the woman” thus necessitating the Deluge to cleanse. These rebel angels are the ones referred to in Jude 6 that has been enchained to be released only in the final judgment for the severity of their crime.

So it was not technological advancement that brought the genetic “anomaly” in Noah’s time but rather a more sinister one, that of demonic intrusion.

1 Like

Nice question Kathy,

The thing about technology, especially when it is new, is that we need to be careful before we make a judgement whether it is dangerous or not. Historically, whenever a new technology was brought to public notice, it was, in most cases, met with either derision/ridicule or fear. For example, when Lister introduced hand-washing as a method to reduce infections, people scoffed at him. On the other hand, when trains with steam engines were first introduced, people ran away in fear of the ‘demon-powered monstrosities’. Even in recent times, there has been a lot of fear - do cell phones cause brain cancer (no definite evidence yet), does wifi damage our brains (again no definitive evidence for or against) and most recently the conspiracies against 5G networks etc. It is wise to therefore wait and see how the new technology develops before making a definitive statement about it. You never know - it may be very helpful to mankind.

Having said that, I agree with you that some of the new technologies, especially those that involve manipulation of human embryos and genetic manipulation are disturbing. Tools like CRISPR, for example, are cutting edge technologies that give a lot of power to manipulate genetic information. There are several ethical issues involved in every such technology. To make matters more complicated, there are several ethical problems involved in the development of even established technologies that have definitely proved useful - antibiotics, vaccines, birth control techniques, drug safety trials, cosmetic safety, etc.

This is not a straightforward problem to solve - it needs much careful study and waiting to see if the new technology is actually helpful in relieving the suffering of humanity or if it is indeed evil.

Whether genetic manipulation technologies like we use today were used in Noah’s time - that is anybody’s guess. My bet is that it was highly unlikely. But sure, some pretty weird things happened during that time, which we today still do not understand fully!

4 Likes

Thank you Tony for taking the time to respond to my question. I am so appreciative to have this site available and to know I can get truthful/accurate answers. You Are a blessing. Thank you.

@LvrofGod, as @tonyabthomas said, it’s unlikely Noah’s generation had technology to manipulate genetics, but the Bible is explicit about why God destroyed that generation. Genesis cites man’s wickedness, his evil imagination, corruption and violence (Genesis 6:5, 12, 13).

Interestingly, the idea in the Hebrew behind our word wickedness is to spoil by breaking to pieces. What a picture of man’s fallen character! God made a perfect, whole creation and we, by our sin, break it apart and spoil it. This was a primary condition of Noah’s time and Jesus said it would be like this in the end.

Frightening as our technology and how we use it may be, I think the underlying conditions that caused God to judge Noah’s generation are at play in our own time. Our sinful nature, and not our technology, will be our undoing.

1 Like

Thank, Dennis.Gladden, for your reply regarding Noah’s day and our current technology. I appreciate your input and thoughtful reply.

IMHO, the question is not really whether Noah’s generation was doing genetic manipulation (doesn’t say so in the Bible and there’s no archeological evidence for it, let alone for the knowledge of genetics generally… unless we’re just talking about selective breeding. But I don’t think that’s where you’re going).

Here’s the question I think that matters: Would the children of this kind of activity be created in the image of God? I see no reason why the answer is anything other than a resounding ‘yes’ (open to differing opinions), and we are driven to love them. In that case, it’s rather a moot point.

Now, there may be other questions about the ethics of the activities you are describing (for example, the use of animal or animal-grown tissue in human medicine I see as an ethical/moral imperative), but I can’t see there being an issue of sin involved, per se.

1 Like

Are you saying that that man interfering with God’s creation (DNA, breeding, reproduction, etc.) is not sin? If I didn’t understand your response, let me apologize now. However, if that is what you’re saying, I adamantly have to disagree. Any time man interfers with God’s plan it can be nothing but sin and rebellion of the highest order. That is from Satan, the premier rebel. Can you explain how you came to your conclusion that interfering with what God has ‘joined’ together is no longer sin. I would love to know your rationale. Again, I apologize if I have misunderstood your post.