Temptation

Hi guys, I have another question and that comes from my wife.
Why was Adam and eve told not to eat from the tree of knowledge knowing that it would create temptation as this is not free choice? It preempted failure.

4 Likes

@Zaia_Joudo Good question :slight_smile: I would disagree with the premise that the existence of temptation negated free will. I believe, as you can see in the following quotes, that God put the tree in the Garden as a means of helping Adam an Eve to grow in wisdom. By choosing what is good in the face of temptation, they would grow in righteousness. We grow into maturity and righteousness by learning to discern good from evil and choosing good over evil. Obedience and knowledge of God are in fact, connected in Scripture.

Adam and Eve still had free will, but they had to choose whether or not to use that free will to grow in knowledge of God.

Hope that is a helpful perspective :slight_smile:

“Concretely, the tree represented for Adam the choice between submitting to God’s law or pursuing moral autonomy : Fearing the Lord (the beginning of wisdom), or judging for himself what good and evil are. Learning obedience would result in greater wisdom, maturity, and freedom. That is what the serpent tempted Adam and Eve with: “You shall be as gods, knowing good and evil” (Genesis 3:5). That is, you shall judge for yourselves. You will no be in the position of children, having good and evil dictated to you. The serpent tempted Adam and Eve with the prerogatives of autonomous, mature adulthood, before they had learned submission to God—and he tempted them to achieve this by way of disobedience . But it is important to understand that it could have been achieved with obedience as well , without the consequences of sin—and that is the tragedy. Adam and Eve were indeed destined to rule creation. Becoming like gods was not a bad thing or a bad desire. But this was to be achieved in the same way the rule of Jesus was achieved—by submission to God (Philippians 2:8-9).”

“The tree of knowledge was to lead man to the knowledge of good and evil; and, according to the divine intention, this was to be attained through his not eating of its fruit. This end was to be accomplished, not only by his discerning in the limit imposed by the prohibition the difference between that which accorded with the will of God and that which opposed it, but also by his coming eventually, through obedience to the prohibition, to recognize the fact that all that is opposed to the will of God is an evil to be avoided, and through voluntary resistance to such evil, to the full development of the freedom of choice originally imparted to him into the actual freedom of a deliberate and self-conscious choice of good. By obedience to the divine will he would have attained to a godlike knowledge of good and evil, i.e. to one in accordance with his own likeness to God. He would have detected the evil in the approaching tempter; but instead of yielding to it, he would have resisted it, and thus have made good his own property acquired with consciousness and of his won free-will, and in this way by proper self-determination would gradually have advanced to the possession of the truest liberty.” - Franz Delitch

5 Likes

Hi Sean, that’s great information and helps with giving me a better perspective.
Thanks mate

3 Likes

@Zaia_Joudo Sure thing bro :slight_smile:

1 Like