Testimony: Arthur Schwartzman

I was born in Siberia, Russia, not long before the fall of the Soviet Union. When I was 4, my family and I made aliyah to Israel, where we still reside today. We were not a religious family of any kind, but were open to an idea of God (whatever that may entail). I always believed in God; I knew in my heart that a supreme being, creator of all existed, but I held to the notion that a religious claim to know Him or His character was just laughable. There was no way any religion can claim the one true God – He is so much more than their dogmas, they’re simply trying to put Him in a box.

It was years later, after my grandfather’s death, that I started to pay attention to my Jewish roots. On his deathbed, he was reading a book titled “If You are a Jew”, a book on halachic laws . He was looking to get right with God in his last days, and seeing what significance Judaism played in his final hours (he wasn’t a practicing Jew throughout his life), I decided I should bring said Jewish roots to my home, especially now, I thought, living in the Jewish State.

During my military service I enrolled in a giyur program (Jewish seminary), and converted to Judaism (I had to undergo a conversion. Since my mother wasn’t Jewish, by rabbinical law I wasn’t considered one myself). I began living a religious lifestyle and was genuinely happy; I found purpose, community, a sense of belonging, life in the Torah. Quickly, however, I began noticing holes and discrepancies in the halachic laws ; some things weren’t adding up with me.

I felt torn between the beauty and truth of Scripture, and the hollow parts of Jewish law. I can’t really trace back my steps, but I somehow ended up ordering a complete Bible in Hebrew (Old and New Testament). I was intrigued. I began reading the book of Matthew, and I was immediately taken by the words of Yeshua! He addressed the same topics, the same hypocrisies that caused me to question my Judaism, and the way he was answering was so profound… I was blown away. It didn’t take convincing - I believed in Him.

At that point, I thought I was the sole Jew on the planet that believed in Yeshua. I was going out of my mind in prayer, asking what in the world am I to do next?! To my surprise there were many more like me. I became part of a small community of believers in my city, got baptized, and committed my life to learning more about Him. I know the journey has just begun, and a lot of work needs to be done on my sinful heart, but I know I can put my trust in Him, in His grace and mercy. Amen.

19 Likes

Wow! I am so greatful you shared this. Thank you for taking us through part of your lives most profound journey. Your story is so inspiring and it is a perfect way to start my day here in my prayer room. I, like many here, I am sure, feel so blessed to be able to communicate with people all over the globe. God bless you, thank you so much :pray:t3::heart:

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I am thankful for your testimony and your experiences. This is what this forum is really about. I love the connection across the globe that we might be able to share our experiences in our faith journeys. God-bless you and your testimony.

6 Likes

Hi Arthur! @aschwartzman7

Thanks so much for posting your testimony!

I’ve wondered what it was like for Jews to turn to faith in Jesus as Messiah. Your story is inspiring- and I see how God has pursued you throughout the years. It gives me greater hope for reaching others with the truth- and realizing that the Holy Spirit is already at work in those who haven’t yet come to faith.
The way you felt uneasy -as though something wasn’t “adding up” is a clue to the way God speaks to us- a restlessness in our hearts to search for meaning.

Thanks again for sharing! Have a blessed week, Arthur!

5 Likes

I appreciate so much the sharing of your journey. How awesome Yeshua is with mercies new every morning. In the end, what I have found, what wins with him is trust. When I tell him I trust him, and praise him even when I don’t feel happy, I know he hears me. He has a plan for each of us. The way will not be easy, but with him it will be possible because he sees ahead to the best path. You have been planted into the “olive tree” (Romans 11:13 ff.) and the Holy Spirit will be your guide as Yeshua promises. Thank you for your testimony.

4 Likes

@HeidiMitchell @sig @Keldon_Scott @Michael_Fitzgerald Thank you all for taking the time to read my personal story, I’m happy it served as an encouragement to you! God’s hand isn’t short, it reaches us in all the corners of the world.

6 Likes

@aschwartzman7, I am so grateful that you have shared your testimony with us. To echo everyone’s thoughts, it is a great encouragement. We serve a God who knows exactly how to reach us!

Your testimony is a powerful reminder that the Word is living and active. I like what you say:

It didn’t take convincing - I believed in Him.

I’m smiling as I’m reading that line. God can open up our hearts in an instant.

I’m very glad that you’ve found a community of believers in your city (and also RZIM Connect, haha). Being in community is so important.

I am encouraged that you know that you can put your trust in him, in his grace and mercy, as you continue to learn about the Lord and how much he loves you.

Thank you for sharing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello @aschwartzman7,
Thank you very much for your testimony! It is encouraging to read life experiences like yours.
One of my preferred verse in the Bible is:
“He has made everything beautiful and appropriate in its time. He has also planted eternity [a sense of divine purpose] in the human heart [a mysterious longing which nothing under the sun can satisfy, except God]—yet man cannot find out (comprehend, grasp) what God has done (His overall plan) from the beginning to the end.”
ECCLESIASTES 3:11 AMP
And also:
“Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.”
Revelation 14:12 KJV
Blessings!

4 Likes

Thanks, @Daniella !

You reminded me of a quote by St. Augustine, “Thou hast made us for thyself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in thee.”

I hope more and more people will realize this!

God bless

4 Likes

Hi Olivia,

My case is a classic “the Holy Spirit opened my eyes to the truth of the Word” kinda thing. :slight_smile:

He is the ingredient of receiving Him, we owe our salvation to none other than to our Lord. “When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?” Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible. (Matthew 19:25-26)”

4 Likes

Bless you, Arthur! Yeshua healed me while I was as a dying Jewish atheist in Nov 2017. It’s such a treasure to meet another Jewish believer. We now have Our King, The King Of The Jews, living in our hearts. Hallelujah! Oh, how He loves us.

3 Likes

Hi Nikki, I’m so happy to hear that! It’s fantastic! He gathers His children from all around the world!

1 Like