The angel of the Lord

Hi everyone, I just wanted to hear some thoughts on who people think the Angel of the Lord is in the old testament. Is it Jesus? Is it an Angel? Some verses really refer to the Angel of the Lord as the Lord speaking and then others not so much. keen to hear anyone’s thoughts.

2 Likes

@chinsyth The ‘angel of the Lord’ is generally considered to be a theophany - an appearance of God. Some believe that the angel of the Lord is the preincarnate Christ. Below are some more resources to check out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This might bookend your question.

5 Now I want to remind you, although you know everything once and for all, that Jesus, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, the second time destroyed those who did not believe. (Jud 5LEB).

Here is a comment from a book on the subject.

This short verse credits Jesus with delivering the Israelites from Egypt. The reference is to Exodus 23:20–23 (cf. Judg 2:1–2), where the Angel of the Lord, in whom is the Name, goes before Israel in the procession out of Egypt. The reference to destruction could be to the death of the Egyptians, but it is more likely post-Sinai, where judgments of enemies of Yahweh during the wilderness wanderings and the conquest (cf. Josh 5:13–15) resulted in destruction of unbelievers.

Heiser, M. S. (2015). The Unseen Realm: Recovering the Supernatural Worldview of the Bible (First Edition, p. 270). Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.

Here is another interesting thought from the same author different book.

Various Old Testament passages validate this proposition. Look at who delivered Israel from Egypt and brought the nation to the land of promise: God (Yahweh) is credited with that accomplishment (Exod 13:5, 11; Lev 25:38 [cf. Gen 15:7]; Deut 6:10–11; 7:1; 9:4; 11:23; Ezek 20:28) by means of his very presence (Deut 4:37–38). Israel was not brought to the land by different deliverers, nor is the angel claiming some separate deliverance of the people in Judges 2:1–3. All of the deliverers are the same deity spoken of in different ways.

Heiser, M. S. (2018). Angels: What the Bible Really Says about God’s Heavenly Host (p. 61). Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.

I would recommend these videos and studying the trinity in the old testament.