The Behind Every Question Initiative

A post was split to a new topic: Interview with cousin-in-law

Hi @evangelista79,

Is this an okay translation of your post? (From Google Translate). I wish I spoke Spanish and hope this helps others benefit from your perspective:

I know that you can meet people whose worldview is very contrary to what you believe about God, sometimes you will be angry, outraged, but what I can advise you is that the 1 time do not give your opinion, just listen like this be tempted to debate do not do it, when you listen carefully, you tell the person without your speaking that you are interested and that you care, so your interlocutor will be open to you and you will have a new occasion to make your point of view known, but always with love.

3 Likes

And @evangelista79, this is Google Translate’s attempt with your reply to Brian:

Good afternoon everyone, I had the wonderful pleasure of completing the general module and I must say that it was wonderful, I learned a lot.
Regarding the interview for the moment of the course, I did it to two people, but since then it has been a tool for the moment that I have evangelized, it has allowed me to listen to the people and then expose the truth of Christ with love and compassion.
To those who have not done this type of interview, do not be afraid to ask the questions they give you as tools about the origin, moral meaning and destiny. Remember that it is not about winning an argument or debate, it is about winning that person. to whom we interview or with whom we talk. If you have not done the general module, I encourage you to do it, it is very cool and you will learn a lot.

2 Likes

Hi Manuel,

For those who need help with a translation (like me!), here’s what Manuel was kind enough to share with us (Edit: I now see that Carson was thoughtful enough to do this already. Thanks Carson!):

Good afternoon everyone, I had the wonderful pleasure of completing the general module and I must say that it was wonderful, I learned a lot.

With regard to the interview for the moment of the course I did it to two people, but since then it has been a tool for the moment that I have evangelized, it has allowed me to listen to the people and then expose the truth of Christ with love and compassion.

To those who have not done this type of interview, do not be afraid to ask the questions they give you as tools about the origin, morality, meaning, and destiny. Remember that it is not about winning a discussion or debate, it is about winning that person whom we interview or with whom we talk. If you have not done the Core Module, I encourage you to do it, it is very cool and you will learn a lot.

Thanks a lot for letting us know how your interview went, Manuel! We’re also encouraged to hear how you’ve been edified by it. Thanks also for your encouragement for others. That was thoughtful of you to offer that.

1 Like

Hi Rayhah, thanks a lot for your question and for letting me know how this is coming for you. I’m sorry for taking so long to get back with you. I’m happy to provide some suggestions that will hopefully prove helpful.

One thing you could do ask someone you know if they know anyone who’s not a Christian who might be willing to be interviewed. I’ve also found that letting potential interviewees know up front that this is mainly a listening exercise and that their views won’t be challenged or refuted can really help to set them at ease and make them more willing to be interviewed.

And in light of the main aim of this assignment being to help us become better listeners, we really encourage the interview to be conducted face to face. And, if that’s just not possible, then over the phone or a video call is a second option.

The reason for this is that one of the main focuses of this assignment is listening, understanding, and not interjecting. While we are able to gain information through writing, such as via text or email, this does not provide us with the same opportunity to listen, reflect, and practice self-control, and so does not challenge and benefit us in the same ways. So, if you find that you’re not able to make an in-person interview happen, a phone call or video call is a viable alternative.

Does this help at all, Rayhah?

1 Like