The Christian Life Pt.2

(Quincy Bulla ) #1

The Christian life is not a playground; it is a battleground, and we must be on our guard at all times."…
Do we acknowledge this reality: whether we want to admit it or not, we are in a war, and we can’t win a battle we won’t admit we’re in?
The Christian life is a war of fighting to live in the spirit and not in the flesh.
Roms.7:18-20
Thoughts ?

3 Likes
(Lindsay Brandt) #2

Hi, Quincy. I was actually wondering if you could also post this in the “Christian Growth” category. I think this could really be a great discussion there as well as here, and maybe even more-so since this has to do with addressing a believer’s attitude towards the Christian life.

My thoughts here run along the lines of: the more time we spend with God, the more focused we are on Him and honoring Him in everything we say and do. While I do not think we should be overly focused on the enemy (that, too, takes our focus off God, which will cause us to stumble), I think that the Bible gives us information on how he works for good reason and that we would do well to pay attention to that. I also think that the study of the weapons of spiritual warfare is important. Too many Christians think their battle is with other people who contradict them and the Faith, but the actions of those people is simply a symptom of the deeper root which is entrenched in the enemy’s lines. Instead of yelling or hurling insults, we need to recognize the situations for what they are and pray and speak God’s Truth over them and pay attention to ourselves and our own hearts and minds, lest we too stumble.

2 Likes
(Sally Alexander) #3

What a great question. It took years for me to gain some insight into this. Yes, I believe it is important to acknowledge that we are in a war, but I have found that for many, including me, that can mean focusing on the enemy. Too often we forget that for most of us, our biggest enemy is us (our flesh and our own thoughts)!

[2Co 10:5 KJV] 5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Imagine we are servants of an earthly king, in his fields doing his work, and we see the dust cloud of an approaching army over the horizon. We have a choice to make. We can stand alone with our wooden tools and take on the skilled, armored knights riding our way, or we see the futility of that and run for the protection of the castle which the king built for our protection during an attack.

Psalm 100:4 tells us how we enter the protective walls of our Father and King.
Psa 100:4 KJV 4 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, [and] into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, [and] bless his name.

We allow His Spirit to rule in us as choose to turn from ourselves/the enemy by capturing our thoughts of fear, defeat, anything not of Him, and we choose to turn towards Him, by bringing them to Him as prisoners of war. We enter His protection as we thank Him for all He has done, for our breath, our heartbeat, the protection that He IS, for Who He IS, remembering He is our rock, fortress, strong tower, Psa 61:3, Pro 18:10, the Victor in the battle and so much more.

I have found that confronting our flesh like this can be hard, but it is simple enough to teach a toddler who is afraid of the dark. It focuses on the warfare, but in a way that centers on Him and His victory. For me, this has been not only be a sound starting place for spiritual battle, but one I frequently revisit.

2 Likes
(Quincy Bulla ) #4

Definitely Sis…& I appreciate your feedback

We do need this understanding more…it seems that some shy away from this…but theres no doubt a real war occurring

1 Like
(Quincy Bulla ) #5

Thanks for the feedback Sal…to Live in the Spirit & not from the flesh…& confronting the flesh…allowing the Spirit of God to rule in us…

2 Likes
(Mashinkah Bahston) #6

Amen. Ephesians 6, put on the whole armour of God, feet covered in the gospel of peace, breastplate of Righteousness, loins girded in truth, helmet of salvation, sword of the Spirit, and the shield of faith. The Bible says our war is unseen against spiritual forces, but “greater is He who is in us than he who is in the world.” Jesus Yeshua rebuked the devil 3 times after fasting and praying for 40 days. He delivers people from demon possession. He told his followers that greater things they, we, would do. We will lay hands on the sick and they will be healed, deliver people from stronghold, and if we drink any deadly poison we will recover. God has work for us to do. Joshua 1 reminds us to be strong and courageous IN THE LORD. And another place, “for the battle is not yours, but it is the Lord’s” helping us to be steadfast. I think the Christians/Messianic Belivers have placed their heads in the sand too long. We need to get over brow beatings, etc. God wants us to rise up in Yeshua Jesus and fight the battle on our knees, cries, whenever and wherever we are. The LORD is able to use us as we depend on Him.

Demonic philosophies are present in the world as people turn to darkness and believe in untruth. We are children of the light. Phil 4 and 2 Thess 5 reminds us to pray without ceasing with thanksgiving in every situation we find ourselves. Not to quench the Spirit of God that dwells in our born again spirits. So it would be foolish for any believer in the Messiah to not understand that there is a war for the souls of God’s creation. Jesus is Alive. His will. His life. His chance encounters where God wants to use us to set the captive free. And I do agree we are influenced by worldly doctrine and paying too much attention to our emotions. In the Bible, it tells us to capture every thought and put it in subjection to the LORD Jesus. This require ongoing submission, honesty, and prayers for change.

2 Likes
(Sally Alexander) #7

And that warfare and living in His Spirit can begin as simply as choosing to say “Thank you, Abba” regardless of our situation.

2 Likes