The Cross of Christ

This week we celebrate Ravi’s legacy through Take Five, as RZIM Africa adjunct speaker Hassan John turns our eyes to Jesus on the Cross and calls on an old Nigerian saying–“Though we have eyes, we do not see with them but with the mind”–to help us look deep within.

What did they miss? The centurion looked up and saw something different. On the cross, the body of a dying man, but beyond that was perhaps the most extraordinary revelation of the power and glory of the love of God.

When you look at the cross, what do you see? We have a saying here Nigeria that, “though we have eyes, we do not see with them but with the mind.”

And the big picture of eternity, [we] know clearly that looking up at that figure on the cross, encapsulates God’s redeeming and transforming love. It is a love available to all who believe and are available and want to share in this transforming experience.

Make it Personal

• As Hassan John asks us, “when you look at the cross, what do you see?”

• When the people around you look at the cross, what do you think they see? How might we help them see God’s transforming love in the cross?

6 Likes

As a son of a father, and father of an only son, I see a Father turning his face away from his only beloved Son in order that he can keep his face turned toward us. “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” This cry wrenches my heart. The father in me cannot bear even the thought of forsaking my son; the son in me cannot bear the thought of my father forsaking me. How much more the joint sacrifice of the Father and the Son?

Others around me see the Cross as the Christians who they know represent it. Some see a cruel and futile abuse of a human being. Some see a myth. Some see the ultimate love of the Father and the Son for the World. It all depends on how those who bear Christ’s name live. I can help people to see the transforming love by bearing the cross that God has given me with the same grace that my Savior bore his, “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:21, ESV).

1 Like